Author Topic: Accurate taper mono springs?  (Read 3778 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Accurate taper mono springs?
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
 I know in the past there were no reproduction mono springs with the correct taper per the CRG archives.
Does anyone know if there exists a true copy of a tapered mono these days? I have browsed and see replacements but no word if it is tapered both in thickness and length like the factor springs. My car is sagging 3/4" more on one side compared to the opposite and I can see the spring has flattened nearest the rear mounting perch.

Thank You,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Accurate taper mono springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
Mike, the tapered spring is not reproed IFAIK. The Eaton mono is just straight sides.  I was able to have my factory springs re-arched successfully at a truck spring shop.  Been 5 years now and they may have settled 1/2" since, I had them re-arched 1.5" over stock. I will get a spare set re-arched soon for backup :) 

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for chiming in. I was looking at the Eaton site and it explained the two ways to re-arch a spring. One was cold setting and the other involved heating the metal and reshaping it. In theory the latter is supposed to be a better solution. Do you know what process was used on yours (cold vs. hot)?
  So far I am only able to find springs with the thickness taper but not with the wide side taper. My concern is the fit at the shackle ends with the non-taper design.
Looking a Eaton's site they state "That’s why our springs are built from the original factory blueprint" but their mono spring doesn't have the wide side taper. I assume it would be in the blueprint! This URL shows their hot process, it's pricey though  http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm

Thank You,
Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
This URL shows their hot process, it's pricey though  http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm

I spent two days with Mike and his crew at Eaton-Detroit Spring when I wrote this feature article on how they manufacture and/or re-arch leaf springs when I was the Technical Editor of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine; it takes you through their process from start to finish.  :-)

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/suspension%20&%20steering/Eaton_Spring.pdf
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »
Cant say for sure, but it did show heating marks (like a torch), so I would guess a press of some sort plus some heat. They said sometimes a spring could break in the process, so I collected a couple sets, but the first set came out fine. $1 a lb, so it was around $55.  I figured it was a cheap enough gamble even if it only lasted a short time, but they are still going strong!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
 That's an interesting writeup for the spring restoration/custom making process.
Being my car will only be for local shows and cruze nights I'll probably go with the Eaton or Camaro Specialties (probably Eaton made?) replacement mono's and
put the original springs on the shelf for re-arching using the heat process later.

Thanks for the replies!
Mike

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »
John,
Your article is on the site: http://www.camaros.org/pdf/eaton_spring.pdf
Kurt S