Author Topic: Original Air Cleaner for 69 SS  (Read 48138 times)

69redrsss

• View Profile
Re: Original Air Cleaner for 69 SS
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 05:39:19 AM »
Here's an example of a post from an original owner claiming to have a painted lid.  I'll stop posting on the painted lid topic.
http://forums.hemmings.com/viewtopic.php?p=7706&sid=b121a93267c6f2654bce2a460ff473d5

I've attached a picture of my engine.  I appreciate that the valve covers & air cleaner are not original (in the process of being changed) but someone went to the effort to find a part to cover the upper heat stove opening when the original heat stove pipe was removed.  If someone knows where it came from I'd sure like to know because it looks very original/GM like. It's not something a non-OEM supplier would likely even bother with.  Is it from one of those dealer dress-up kits some talk about?
Les
'69 Garnet Red TH350 SS350 RS

z/27 camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
i have a Nov 68 built 69 camaro RS/SS. it had a chrome air cleaner lid on the original air cleaner. i also have a copy from GM canada of the build/option sheet for my car and it does NOT have any reference to a chrome lid or dress up option.
does anyone have a RPO for this option in 69? or even what it would say on a build sheet, as some of you allude to here?

Kurt and John Z are camaro gurus as far as what should have been on cars from the factory. they have been at this a long time and i would bow to there expertise any day of the week.

the only thing that could now but this to rest as far as black air cleaner lids VS chrome is build dates of camaro's. im with john and kurt on this one tho, the L48 SS camaro's all had chrome lids and painted valve covers. thats all ive ever seen on factory air cleaners on camaro's and nova's over the years. ive owned my camaro for 31 years now.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
Re: Original Air Cleaner for 69 SS reviving an old post
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 01:17:58 AM »
There was some skepticism as to whether L48 always came with a chrome air cleaner lid.  Did this exclude reference to the Cowl Induction cars?  My May 69 SS 350 Cowl car has a black air cleaner lid... and while I'd like it to be chrome, I think black painted was correct.

anyone?

Gary
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

z/27 camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »
Gary
if you have an original SS cowl induction car.....im guessing yours is a 69 pace car? ...you would have a Black air cleaner lid.  ;)

bfd3326

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:46 AM »
I have a 69 SS350 that I have sat on for over 30 yrs It is all orig and in bad shape I am in the process of restoring which brought this forum. Mine is a 4Sp car with SS hood and black air cleaner and lid this car hadn't been touched what I found interesting is the sticker on the side of air cleaner is pretty legible and is black with a PN of 6484221 I cannot find this sticker either. any opinions?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:12 AM »
Can you post a pic of the sticker? Thx!
Kurt S
CRG

bfd3326

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:23 AM »
Here are photos

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:31 AM »
That the earlier style decal.  Right next to the part # was the broadcast code, now missing.
With an SS hood, the air cleaner top would have been chrome, btw.
Kurt S
CRG

bfd3326

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 03:09:15 AM »
That is what I don't understand is if for some strange reason someone swapped air cleaners as I investigate more I am beginning to believe that is the case. This is the right air cleaner for a 4sp but the snorkel end points towards the left side which I don't believe is right. What is odd is this is a very unmolested car as far as originality what would cause someone to change just an air cleaner and oddly enough the old 350/300hp sticker was partially still intact on lid....... Strange......... just tryin to keep it right

anything