Author Topic: FOUND: The Actual 1969 Camaro RS/SS Conv. NASCAR Pace Car for Bristol in 1969!  (Read 20005 times)

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
As far as these car being sequentially, I thought John Z. said cars that required more labor are spaced out so the production crew have more time to do the extra work. If I'm not mistaken  convertibles require more labor. Terry
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
As far as these car being sequentially, I thought John Z. said cars that required more labor are spaced out so the production crew have more time to do the extra work. If I'm not mistaken  convertibles require more labor. Terry
I believe the body numbers were assigned when the order was received....they could schedule the numbers in any order they preferred.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
convertibles took more time on the Fisher side of the plant.  Typical spacing for convertibles is in the 12 to 15 body range.  Vinyl top cars are in the 6 to 8 car range.  I had a buddy at work who working in a Pontiac assembly plant and he sai they could install a convertible top in about 15 minutes.  They worked in groups that travelled with the body for those 15 minutes and then went back to the beginning of the trim shop to pick up the next top.  There was usually 2 groups operating at one time.

If you placed an order for 10 identical Convertibles and the orders were all accepted and processed together they could have sequential body numbers, but the vins would be spaced out by a minimum of 12 numbers because Fisher would have spaced them out to even their work load and they would arrived at GMs side of the plant still spaced apart when the VINs were assigned.  People who say they've seen groups of convertibles going down the line one after the other on the Fisher side of the plant are smoking something funny.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
He also wants to know if anyone can help him acquire a pretty rare option that originally came with his car.  He states that he has, "been trying to locate the fiber optic wire for the front turn lights to the fenders, no one in the after market offers that item.  Do you know of any outfit that might have that item!!! please let me know."

There is nothing to the fiber optic 'system' except for the indicators and the fiber optic itself (a coated glass fiber light conveyer)..  If he only needs the fiber optic line itself (if his is missing or broken in half), then a corvette supplier would be the best source, as all Corvettes built in several years between '68-9 and 1971 Corvettes had them.  Many people think they are more complicated than they are.     A response to a similar question on the Corvette Forum addressed this issue very well, which I will repeat here:
"There is nothing mechanical or electrical about fiber optics. They are very simple. Just fiber strands that transmit light very easily, from the light source to the individual lenses in the console. The purpose of these items was to show the driver if there was an external light bulb that was not functioning.

Here are a few of the common reasons why a fiber optic does not work. Check to see if the bulb is burnt out. If the lights were removed to have the car repainted, it is not uncommon for the fiber optic end to get painted over and not allow light to travel to the console. The fiber cable could be broken as a result of a previous accident. Check inside the console to see if the fiber optic cable is connected to the console lenses. When I first got my car, I found some of the cables just not connected to the console lense.

Anyway, this is very basic technology and it is not like trying to run down an electrical problem. As was previously stated, if you have a problem it is pretty easy to just re-run new fiber cable and re-tape it into the harness. IMO. "

ie.. to have them work, the fiber optic line must 1) be present, 2) be clean on the ends, and 3) be installed in the fittings of the console and lamp source.

Gary is correct, nothing high tech about fiber optics. When I worked on C5A aircraft in the USAF, in the cargo compartment by the main entrance/exit door there was an access panel that had a 1 1/2" diameter single strand fiber optics cable that we could see right down into the front landing gear compartment which was maybe 15-20 feet away. It was used to verify if the landing gear was in the down and locked position if there was a panel light out or some other landing gear malfunction. Very useful item to have there as a back up and along side it was a hand crank to lower and lock the gear by hand if no hydraulics.   
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
Ruben, I too was working on a car with fiber optics, and like you missing some line. I found about two feet at a Corvette shop in Portland, Oregon about 6 years ago and that was all they had, and I was still short but made due with what I had. I know the telecommunication industries have been using fiber optic cable for years. It's a long shot but might be worth calling one up and asking some questions. Also if your chrome parts are pitted have them rechromed, the after market ones are crap and they need a lot of modifying to make them usable with the original optic parts, sorry I could not be more help finding the cable. Terry
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I have some cable, but I have to look and see which diameter goes to the front (there are 2 different diameter cables in the system).
Or even better if someone knows.....
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
Not sure if these are known photos or were posted previously in this thread as the links are dead but ran across them yesterday. 

Bristol Speedway - Volunteer 500 and unknown (possibly same race) Miss Tennessee

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Great photos!  Where did you find them?

It looks to me like it was taken at the drag strip prior to the running of the AHRA Spring Nationals drag races held at the Bristol International Dragway June 6-8, 1969 in Bristol, Tennessee.  The words on the rear of the Camaro are there to advertise the upcoming NASCAR event.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
Not to change the subject but Bristol also used a SUPERBIRD as a pace car Ray Evernham owns it.

z28z11

• View Profile
Hey DW,

That would be (at the time) Mary Cox, former Miss Johnson City, who won the title in '69. Wears the same hair and tiara as the official picture (also makes sense as she's from right down 11E from Bristol).

As usual, find anything on the internet -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
Can you find a recent picture of the car.....or miss Johnson city on the internet?

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Since this thread is 5 years old the links to my threads over at the Pace Car website no longer work.  When I get a chance I will be posting all of the information that appeared in those threads along with some new pictures I have found in the "Promotional Events and Concept Cars" section of this forum here at CRG. 

Unfortunately I lost contact with Reuben, the owner of the '69 Bristol Pace Car, so I do not know the current status of the car.   
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

69bristol

• View Profile
Hi there guys:
I'm Ruben the one that owns the 69 Bristol camaro , I'm sorry I have been out of touch with the club, i'm still here and reading most of the post on the clubs web, I'm looking at the beautiful pictures posted of the 69 bristol camaro and miss johnson city.
thank you for that and if there are any questions out there regarding my camaro please let me know or text me at ( figueroaas@yahoo.com ) or call me at 815 557 3251.
thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards Ruben.