Author Topic: Grill emblem placement for a 1969 Z/28 RS vs Standard  (Read 39681 times)

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: Grill emblem placement for a 1969 Z/28 RS vs Standard
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
Jimmy...it seems that your photo was taken to the right of the center of the stripe and also at an angle to the stripe thus kinda distorting the position of the emblem in relation to the stripe.  Why don't you just center yourself in front of the stripe and look straight down the center of the stripe and see if the relationship looks better aligned.  Just a thought here.....sometimes camera angles can play tricks on you.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
Here's a view more dead on.
Jimmy V.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
You didn't say what you thought but it looks centered to me.....looks great.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:31 AM »
I have never measured the openings of the "egg" crate rectangles Standard vs. RS, but I would bet they are the same.  My opinion again is that the Z should be split by the third vertical, but the judges in the Legend class deducted points saying it should be centered on the second vertical but I have not seen any of them defend that position or show any other supporting material other then what is pictured in Jerry Mac's book.  Again not that I am correct but just from a gut feeling.  One thing you will notice is that the headlights on the Standard grill are closer together versus the RS headlights and I think that might play into some folks thinking it should be on the second, but if you go to my original post the picture from 1969 is very compelling.  Plus it just looks "right" again, my opinion.  Jimmy to make certain your emblem is on the vertical correctly make sure the guides on the back of the emblem are split by the vertical and not to the right or left, if you've had the emblem off and looked at the back of it you'll know what I'm referring too.

Regards,
Jerry K.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
Yes I do know what you are referring to. If you look at the pic of the Z Emblem on John Z's car that I posted, you can see the verticals behind the Z and the 8. I'm calling the one behind the Z in the John Z pic the third vertical. My is aligned exactly the same, with the third vertical behind the Z, and the second behind the 8. The pic of the orange Z in this post also shows the same alignment. Is there a pic of "centered on the second vertical" somewhere that you were judged on? Be curious to see it.
Jimmy V.

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Jimmy, you got it spot on in my opinion, the second post in this discussion shows the Silver Z with the emblem on the second vertical.  Now when you look at your car do you think, in your opinion it looks "right" as opposed to where you had it before?

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »
The second vertical being the second one right of center, correct? That would be a couple of inches left of where I have mine located? Can't tell for sure on the silver Z pic, but that seems too far to the center?  Would the Chevrolet - Norwood assembly workers have installed this emblem onto the grille, I assuming? Then would there be a spec in the factory assembly manual?

I'm probably beating a dead horse anyway, as I'm not concerned about judging. I'm happy with where mine is now, so I'll just leave it as is.
Jimmy V.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
Hi Jimmy.....here is a shot from the AIM.

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
Here is mine close up. The emblem has not been removed by me since I bought the car in 2000. It has 3 repaints on top of original but I don't believe the grill has ever been stripped and repainted, so it may never have been removed but I'm just guessing that.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
HaHa! It still wasn't correct. I had the backing plate backwards. But the location is the same as Gary C's above, and others, etc. I'm done!
Jimmy V.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 02:35:39 AM »
Here is mine close up. The emblem has not been removed by me since I bought the car in 2000. It has 3 repaints on top of original but I don't believe the grill has ever been stripped and repainted, so it may never have been removed but I'm just guessing that.

your emblem is perfectly centered under the stripe, GaryC..     just as most of the others..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
Dragging up an old thread as I thought this was of interest..  Was over at a buddies house today bsing and looked at his original Z that had 1 repaint.  We were discussing the emblem location and he showed me the pic of when he bought the car back in '70..  Just thought I would add the photos..

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »
Interesting seeing the old photos, if the location of the emblem was a topic was it because one of you questioned its location?  But either it was a mistake at the factory or someone moved it, but it should be moved towards the headlight with the "Z" being split by the vertical line that is currently between the "Z" and the "28".  On the horizontal location it is correct.  I don't mean any disrespect and the car is beautiful, but the emblem has guide marks on the back side that are meant to line up the emblem on the grill, if you use your pinkie and feel behind the "Z" you should be able to feel the alignment marks, they are very pronounced.  But if your friend is happy with it by all means leave it alone!!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
Reason for me posting it was for people to see that there are outliers when it comes to how these cars are suppose to be restored vs how they were originally built.

Regardless where it was suppose to be according to assembly line direction this is as close to original of a photo as it will get with this car and I would suspect that because this was a very early 69 build car that it was more than likely positioned wrong at the plant and missed..  Why would you move the emblem to the "correct" position and create another cookie cutter car when these were built by humans and had human errors..  Does that mean all cars were missed?  Of course not but the emblem will stay in the location it is in on this car. 

Oh and the reason for the discussion about the emblem between us was I didnt think it was correct until seeing the photos.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:21 AM »
Reason for me posting it was for people to see that there are outliers when it comes to how these cars are suppose to be restored vs how they were originally built.

Regardless where it was suppose to be according to assembly line direction this is as close to original of a photo as it will get with this car and I would suspect that because this was a very early 69 build car that it was more than likely positioned wrong at the plant and missed..  Why would you move the emblem to the "correct" position and create another cookie cutter car when these were built by humans and had human errors..  Does that mean all cars were missed?  Of course not but the emblem will stay in the location it is in on this car. 

Oh and the reason for the discussion about the emblem between us was I didnt think it was correct until seeing the photos.

Hi DW...I was just looking at the pic of the car you posted and my pic just above it...Look at the emblem placement on both grills...optical illusion?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80