Author Topic: Treating inside of rocker rails & the snow is gone!  (Read 11584 times)

67rs327

• View Profile
Re: Treating inside of rocker rails & the snow is gone!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll start by cleaning out all the crud. Currently assessing the other side which has at least as much rot and maybe a little more.
Thanks again.
p.s. - (-vellu) Looks like old car rust and dirt in Finland is the same as here in the states!
1967rs L30/M20 Bolero Red - LOS 11A.
Chris - New Hampshire.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
I just don't subscribe to a one size fits alll repair.
I cater to each area , and replace as needed. It may not be as profitable as what you are accustomed to, but it doesn't cut unnecessarily into a nice car where unwarranted. It is on a as needed basis only. BUT if cutting every time gives you the warm fuzzies than ok.
That is what cutting out that small piece out is doing, catering to the area. Every job is different. I don't replace entire sections or panels if it's not needed. Using mig wire alone in the rot holes as you suggested is not going to repair that area. The metal is rotten and thin, there is a piece missing and those holes larger than pinholes.
You are correct, one size does not fit all. Each job gets evaluated and repaired accordingly. This is not about profiting or doing more than is required at the customer's expense.
Tubes are galvanized
Never seen that before! Only parts I thought were gal on these cars were the headliner attachment strips, floorpan plugs and the wiring loom cover/carpet support at the door openings.
Rockers are galvanized, so are the door jamb supports.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »
Rockers are galvanized, so are the door jamb supports.
Yes, -vellu is correct; I wasn't arguing, just acknowledging that I had not previously been aware of that. One of the great things about this hobby, always learning new facts.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway