CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 04:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104491 Posts in 12235 Topics by 4716 Members
Latest Member: Hgtech
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  tank restoration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print
Author Topic: tank restoration  (Read 1755 times)
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »

Matter of opinion I suppose. Used to like the tanks blacked out ,now I like the detail. In the debate ,nothing says the dealer didn't do it to spice it up a bit ,just a thought.
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Off topic but the original owner told me he removed the pump and plugged the exhaust manifolds (still in them) the day he picked the car up....in the lot. He also had the dealer install a few items (on my shelves) So who is to say what took place before delivery except the one who picked it up.

Goes as far as another old post of mine. Guy's dad worked in a dealership so he had a special order SS Chevelle delivered without the 396 but ordered a 427 and installed it at the dealership. I was a little kid when I first heard the story, and witnessed a few heated debates over it. He still owns it, had no reason lie. If anything, at the time he wanted the car a sleeper.

But, I understand a very definite line between how it rolled out of the factory, and rolled out of the dealership.
Mike S

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »

I parted out an 01B of 1969 Los Angeles car late last year and the underside of the gas tank is painted black; will take and post some pictures tomorrow.
Here's a picture of that tank, you can see where there is no paint where the tank straps were. This is not undercoating. The tank was original to the car:

Tim,
  Are those dried paint runs at the lowest points I see?

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
ZLP955

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 04:09:45 AM »

Tim,
Are those dried paint runs at the lowest points I see?
Mike
Mike, those dark areas are just local wet spots; it had been raining before I took the tank outside to take the picture, and the bottom edge got damp when I put it down to turn over. There is a couple of minor paint runs, but they don't show up in the picture.

Tim - New South Wales, Australia
04A VN '69 z/28 69-69 715 ex-E/MP
Matt f

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 04:43:21 AM »

Hey,

Thats so interesting to hear about stories of the era.  Only if we could go back in time and
get a brand new Camaro or hottie just how we wanted it and for the same price lol
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 07:43:41 AM »

Pretty sure it was always bring your checkbook ( or wallet for the hottie , lol ) Anything of beauty tends to be a little high maintenance Cheesy

I do know the older we all get ,the better-faster-stronger we all were !  correct? Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: