Author Topic: tank restoration  (Read 21152 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: tank restoration
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
Matter of opinion I suppose. Used to like the tanks blacked out ,now I like the detail. In the debate ,nothing says the dealer didn't do it to spice it up a bit ,just a thought.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Off topic but the original owner told me he removed the pump and plugged the exhaust manifolds (still in them) the day he picked the car up....in the lot. He also had the dealer install a few items (on my shelves) So who is to say what took place before delivery except the one who picked it up.

Goes as far as another old post of mine. Guy's dad worked in a dealership so he had a special order SS Chevelle delivered without the 396 but ordered a 427 and installed it at the dealership. I was a little kid when I first heard the story, and witnessed a few heated debates over it. He still owns it, had no reason lie. If anything, at the time he wanted the car a sleeper.

But, I understand a very definite line between how it rolled out of the factory, and rolled out of the dealership.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 02:07:34 AM »
I parted out an 01B of 1969 Los Angeles car late last year and the underside of the gas tank is painted black; will take and post some pictures tomorrow.
Here's a picture of that tank, you can see where there is no paint where the tank straps were. This is not undercoating. The tank was original to the car:

Tim,
  Are those dried paint runs at the lowest points I see?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Tim,
Are those dried paint runs at the lowest points I see?
Mike
Mike, those dark areas are just local wet spots; it had been raining before I took the tank outside to take the picture, and the bottom edge got damp when I put it down to turn over. There is a couple of minor paint runs, but they don't show up in the picture.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Matt f

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Hey,

Thats so interesting to hear about stories of the era.  Only if we could go back in time and
get a brand new Camaro or hottie just how we wanted it and for the same price lol

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
Pretty sure it was always bring your checkbook ( or wallet for the hottie , lol ) Anything of beauty tends to be a little high maintenance :D

I do know the older we all get ,the better-faster-stronger we all were !  correct? ;)