Author Topic: Chrome Plating  (Read 11011 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Chrome Plating
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »
I posted this in my build thread but know many search topics and wanted to communicate how great a pleasure its been working with Jon at Custom Chrome Plating. One deals with many people during a restoration and for the most part its just goes with the process, sometimes can be aggravating, but once in awhile a company or individual stands out or excites the customer which in this case is ME. 😊 If anyone is looking for chrome work and a company that does it correct from the actual chrome plating to how they handle their business and customers then try Jon Wright’s CCP Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton, OH. I had some issues with a prominent platter and East Coast Muscle Cars recommended trying CCP back a couple years ago and wow what a difference.  I myself have sent many there and everyone has been extremely happy with the results. I’ve talked to Jon several times and he’s even called me to assist and offer suggestions. The CCP team have chromed many parts for both our 68Z and some Corvette parts and each time its like Christmas when you open the box. And this past Nov. Jon the CCP team celebrated 45 years in business. For sure when I have our car completed and have a placard thanking contributors Custom Chrome Plating will be prominently identified. Thanks Jon! Great guy to deal with and like us, a car guy first. Some more original parts off our car recently chromed & received. By the way the red bag holds the two screws also re-chromed for the qtr. window trim.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Chrome Plating
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi Chick,
    I have a few items I need to get re-chromed soon. I'll certainly look at this vendor.
Do they plate using the copper-nickel-chrome process? So many shops leave out the copper step these days.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »
<< Do they plate using the copper-nickel-chrome process? So many shops leave out the copper step these days. >>

Leaving off the copper base was the original GM process - GM "factory chrome" was only nickel and chrome.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
<< Do they plate using the copper-nickel-chrome process? So many shops leave out the copper step these days. >>

Leaving off the copper base was the original GM process - GM "factory chrome" was only nickel and chrome.

When chroming 'new metal', the copper step isn't as important, as the copper is the soft metal used to fill imperfections from pits, bad pot metal, etc, prior to the nickel and chrome steps.   Rechromers used to highlight their 'triple chrome' process (copper, nickel, and chrome) for rechroming 'used parts' for show cars.  Back in the '70's (and perhaps earlier in some states), the EPA got much tougher on such shops in terms of capturing their (heavy metals?)..  and many many shops had to either change their process or get out of the business and many closed.  The ones that continued the copper step had to change their previous, perhaps sloppy process, at a greater cost.

The question to ask your rechromer is how they fill pits, etc to get the metal smoooth prior to the nickel step.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »
"The question to ask your rechromer is how they fill pits, etc to get the metal smoooth prior to the nickel step."

That is my primary concern being the parts we now have are 46+ years old.
I have a NOS bumper from Chevy and the sand scratches in the base metal and jagged edge on one edge curve are so sloppy that it makes the Chinese re-pros look like a masterpiece.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
I too remember having issues when I bought my rear bumper from GM. I rejected 2 and finally accepted the 3rd, grudgingly. I finally had to accept that a quality replacement was not going to be available through GM's new parts and my bumper is certainly not the quality that I was accustomed to from the General.
 My understanding about copper plating is that it is used for "show plating" where durability is sacrificed for appearance because of the softness of the copper and it's ability to be made smooth similar to prepping for paint, it costs more for extra time prepping (making smooth) a surface. Durability is the trade off because surface mars and dings easily. Sometimes, a part is so badly pitted, usually pot metals, that the copper has to be used as a "filler" to get the surface ready. This may be common knowledge to most car folks, so I apologize for redundancy and not adding anything more meaningful to the topic.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
Hi Chick,
    I have a few items I need to get re-chromed soon. I'll certainly look at this vendor.
Do they plate using the copper-nickel-chrome process? So many shops leave out the copper step these days.

Mike
Mike, give them a call as they offer two chrome services, which both are better than GM chrome. The one is show chrome which I believe to be with the cooper base. I've had valve covers, both small block and big block, many small pieces like sun visor parts, door handles (outside & inside), mirrors, etc. and everything has been top notch. Do searches and many have used them as they were big with the street rod gang. Send them parts, they send you pics of what was sent with a price, and if you agree the job is done to your total satisfaction. Bottom line, they have their act together.......
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
Chick    I cannot make it out from the pictures but is the inside ridges of the door hands still detailed fine grooves like originally? Also how are you going to rivet your knobs back on?  Thanks, Scoop

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:20 AM »
Chick    I cannot make it out from the pictures but is the inside ridges of the door hands still detailed fine grooves like originally? Also how are you going to rivet your knobs back on?  Thanks, Scoop

Yes Scoop, the fine grooves are still on the door handles and yes, I'm going to rivet the original knobs back on as later service replacements are not correct. More on that later as there was an article in the NCRS newletter on how to do this and it's actually quite easy and looks exact. I will post info on that subject for sure as its very worthwhile.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 02:38:56 AM »

Yes Scoop, the fine grooves are still on the door handles and yes, I'm going to rivet the original knobs back on as later service replacements are not correct. More on that later as there was an article in the NCRS newletter on how to do this and it's actually quite easy and looks exact. I will post info on that subject for sure as its very worthwhile.
i look forward to seeing this explained Chick. I thought my old cranks were hopeless, but perhaps not. What do you do about yellowing of plastic? Is there a fix for that?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »
Too bad I'm finished with my car now.  But I did find a good "Plater" in my area, that came highly recommended.  I asked several "car guys" I know that show cars and "build" cars.  I had to have my Vent Window Pillars replated as they don't repop them, and I have an "original" pair of SS/Z28 Chrome "script" Valve covers I had replated.  I am VERY pleased with both. The Pillars actually had some pitting, which they drilled out(each pit), then soldered in, then sanded smooth and buffed, before plating. And you can not tell it at all, they are VERY smooth. Like a mirror.  I went to AIH Chrome Plating in Dubuque, IA.,  it's only about an hour drive for me.  I will tell you, it doesn't come cheap for good work.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »

i look forward to seeing this explained Chick. I thought my old cranks were hopeless, but perhaps not. What do you do about yellowing of plastic? Is there a fix for that?

Well first off my cranks are black with a distinct scallop so the yellowing is a non issue for our car anyway.

Back last year NCRS had an article about how to replace the knob on Corvettes, tried it first on an old window crank and then moved forward. Here are some pics of that topic by NCRS member Bill Lacy. All credit and pics go to Bill Lacy and NCRS. I think or hope this give the general thoughts on how to complete as it really pretty easy.

\

Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:44:38 AM »
Great information Chick! Thanks much, Scoop

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:25:46 AM »
I called custom chrome and sent pictures of my bumpers. My bumpers are straight with slight surface rust appearing on the lower corners of one, the other has no rust. I would think it would be hard to find much better ones to do. They quoted me roughly 8-900. Then sent a second email saying each!  Heartbeat city is selling rechromed show chrome gm bumpers for 595 I believe.  This seems high to me
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:17 AM »
Way high! I have seen NOS cheaper than that like $500 a piece. Mind you the NOS ones were never triple plated deep chrome like the ones of today. You can tell when you have them next to each other, but I would prefer just the stock chrome for me. Use the extra money towards other items. IMO
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV