Author Topic: Original dealer info for 1st gens is available  (Read 458625 times)

JKZ27

• View Profile
Re: So you think you have a Dana, Nickey,Berger Baldwin, etc...?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:52 AM »
...And I'd guess if one was exchanged to another dealer, it wouldn't be too far from the one that it was shipped to.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:24 AM »
Dealers could pull up lists of cars/options available in their area (same thing they do today).
The records would only list the dealer shipped to, not the actual selling dealer for a dealer transfer car.
Thanks Kurt,
Sounds like there could be a few that will be left wondering if their POP or window sticker is authentic. Hopefully not but seems to be a real possibility.

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »
Guys Original GM paper does not get redone by GM in a dealer trade, so the window sticker car shipper build sheet did not change. Protect-o-plate was completed by actual selling dealer even if it was dealer traded. Communication between dealers was sparse back in these days so dealer trades were usually close. They did not have locator systems like those that exist today. In a dealer trade today window sticker still shows original dealer car was billed to.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 04:33:22 AM »
Guys Original GM paper does not get redone by GM in a dealer trade, so the window sticker car shipper build sheet did not change. Protect-o-plate was completed by actual selling dealer even if it was dealer traded. Communication between dealers was sparse back in these days so dealer trades were usually close. They did not have locator systems like those that exist today. In a dealer trade today window sticker still shows original dealer car was billed to.
Thanks Roy,
Just curious. In all of your years of being involved with the NCRS, GM dealer documents for the Corvette's, have you ever seen this scenario where the original POP did not match because of a dealer trade?

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
Roy or anyone that might have an answer. This question was asked earlier in this thread. I went back and re read and do not see where it was answered.

I have heard that the dealerships have always had exchange programs with other dealers. I'm sure if a customer came in and was only interested in a certain color or option and it wasn't on the lot that the dealer had other dealers to call and I assume this might have happened often. If this did happen wouldn't one's original, authentic POP or window sticker with selling dealership listed be different than the one the NCRS, GM records are going to show?

The factory filled out only the top portion of the POP, the other info was labled or written in by the selling dealer. Picture of POP found on Google. George

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
I've seen detailed dealer notes for a dealer trade. They noted all the options / colors / costs and which dealer on the various cars they found available for the buyer. Looks like it took a bit of footwork and time on the phone.
Kurt S
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
My great-uncle had a Chevy dealership back in the day. He was more than willing to find a car for you --as long as he thought it was going to result in a sale after the time and effort (phone calls, "trading" negotiations and getting the car).  On the whole the possible cars needed to be within a hundred miles of the dealership, and it often depended on whether he had something the other dealer wanted. As I recall the info on the car still had the original dealer info on it.  All my great-uncle wanted with his name on it was the purchase agreement. 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 03:00:49 AM »
Thanks Roy,
Just curious. In all of your years of being involved with the NCRS, GM dealer documents for the Corvette's, have you ever seen this scenario where the original POP did not match because of a dealer trade?

Yes, in fact I woiuld not expect to if it was a dealer trade, the selling dealer is supposed to complete it.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »
Just to add something to the discussion and respond to the earlier requests....This is what I got when I sent in my money for information on my Corvette.  If we could only have THIS for our Camaros - OMG!

-Mark.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
wow..   that sure looks like more than a 'shipper'... and MUCH More than just the date/dealer...  IS that what you got from NCRS for your Corvette?   I've got a few older Corvettes I'd like to have that for as well.. 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
You can get that from GM, I ordered it for my 81 Z28 a couple of years ago. My understanding is that the records are only available from around 1977and newer for chevrolet. I pasted the link to the site below.

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Vehicle_Information_Availability

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
Are you suggesting that Chevrolet continued to build passenger cars AFTER 1972???????

;D      ;)

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:43 AM »
Are you suggesting that Chevrolet continued to build passenger cars AFTER 1972???????

;D      ;)

Gary - do you not consider a 180 hp 1985 Z/28 to be a passenger car ? Or are you suggesting the 1980 Citation was a sports car (drove both) ? I'm confused -

Just kidding, of course. I did think a lot of my 1976 Malibu Land Barge.

Back on the thread - I do think even the dealer ship to and completion date for two of my vehicles is worthwhile - especially when I don't have that bit of info. One more piece to the puzzle.

Regards -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:42 AM »
Do I have to answer that?  :)
I will buy their data for my car just to get a GM 'date' (whether it be production date or shipping date), it will be worthwhile.. :)
In fact, I will probably try to get the data for my older Corvettes as well (The '69 is the only one I have protecto plate for, and also have the build sheet from the tank).   

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
Guys the date provided with this service is the official GM Production date, the date is contained in what we call the shipping data record's - but it is the official GM production date, it is not the date the car was shipped, unless of course they shipped it on the production date, I suspect that could happen but probably did not happen often.