Author Topic: 69 console gauge/ tach question  (Read 18317 times)

Rufcar

• View Profile
Re: 69 console gauge/ tach question
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »
This mighthelp, everything I restored previously and all worked properly before I did the gauge harness. Im thinking the plug in wires at the fuse block are not powering on, ill ck tomirrow. Jim

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
Today I decided to start over. 1st i unpluged and removed the entire new console, turned the battery on and blew the rear lights fuse #2 on left. THen unpluged the front bulkhead from the fuse box and blew the same fuse. Now I know its not in the engine compartment or the new console. I did see that the instructions call for complete removal of the green wire at the bulk and the ignition, I only removed fron the bulkhead but I dont see how that is a problem but today I removed it anyway. I tiddied up the tach wiring in the engine bay and called it a day. I need to get more fuses tomorrow and do more testing. SOmehow I still think its in the new headlight switch. The only wire I changed out was the white wire, the interior lights never go off now at all but tomorrows another day.

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
Found the problem today, human error! I had the white harnees wire pluged into the wrong location at the headlight switch now everything works with the exception of the amp gauge and those under hood wires should be here today! I have the dash top to finish today, then the new front seats and the new 3 point harness and then alll will be wright with the world.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
Good - glad you found it. Are you updating the style of the seats or going stock. Who's belts did you buy?
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
I put in the houndstooth from PUI and the 3 point GM clasp type both from ground up. I finished everything this afternoon though Im still waiting for the under hook amp wires.
With out a history, paperwork or past ownership I did all the reseach on this site and the car was either an SS or an LM one. I did find one past owner from the 80s' who told me it was mainly a drag car and was originally a big block column shift 3 speed. Like I said previously I dont care if it a frankinstein car it looks correct and I made it an SS. Ill post some pics on this site soon. Thanks for all your help.

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
Interior pic with new console gauges, Tach, seats and dash pad.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »
Looks good - nice job on the seats, did you job it out or tackle the upholstery yourself?
If it was a BB the heater hoses would be the tell. Any under the hood pics to ponder?
If she is an SS in your mind and you are being correct on the details, then maybe you want to change the steering wheel emblem too from the bowtie to SS.
Nice job and I look forward to some pics and details.
Brian

TeamCamaro - Moderator

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »
Yes Kurt helped me early on and the heater was previously replaced. I replaced the original 5 leaf springs as they were broken and the center pin was broken too. I also have the steel plate on the frame rail by rear tire. I even had the tank out and no lable there or in the seat springs. Id bet there have many engines and trannys in this car in its history too.
I have been thing about that SS emblem and I also like the teak wheel but the jurys still out!
I can do most anything but decided that at 750 each I bought the pre assambled seats! They fit and feel awsome! The tracks are not correct but other then 2 rear mounting holesin each not bad.
Today I ordered rear covers and rear belts. I was not going to do the rear but now the front looks so nice I decided to re do the rear.
Been trying to post other pics but my files are too big. Usually I just send the pics to my email and make them smaller but I am having trouble with email today. I 'll put some on tomorrow including and exterior shot. The car looks more like a Baldwin motion with the vette side pipes! Seriously loud and I love it! Thanks for all your help.

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
ext pic this summer after painting

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »
looks good.

Im looking for info on installing a tach in mine and moving the fuel gauge for now..   I want the spedo, fuel, tach setup.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
looks good.

Im looking for info on installing a tach in mine and moving the fuel gauge for now..   I want the spedo, fuel, tach setup.

Very easy to accomplish in a weekend.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »
looks good.

Very easy to accomplish in a weekend.
And a cool look too!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
also guess i need to switch out the steering column,   

At some point i want to go to a manual.  some one has already switched to a crap shifter on the floor but left the column shift in R i guess so the back up lights work... 

I just need to hit the lotor then order everything at once!

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »
KERR my 69 was born as a column shift 350 and they removed the switch and associated parts but left the gear selector arm on the column on the engine side where it's really hard to see. They must have used a sleeve to cover the column where the shifter was. I had the car 5 months before I even knew that. That's an easy and inexpensive repair. Jim

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
At this point i think im just going to go with a 4L80e,   main reason is i have one,  and ive also got a 8.1L in the garage that needs a set of pistons,  ( bad gas big turbo it went boom)  and a turbo kit.   it lived 3 years on my suburban and be real nasty in a car..   I guess i need to research and see what will work the best..  a nos column for a th400 linked up the 4l80E would be kinda nice...     I want to have it all stock looking except under the hood...   i dont know a way to make a fuel injected motor and turbo look original ;)

So either find a kit to make the column shifter work by changing it something not powerglide,   or see if there is a way to make a manual looking shifter work.  but dont want the console if i go that way... i like the look of the sifter and boot only in the floor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:56:45 PM by KERR »

anything