Author Topic: Astro Ventilation Window Markings  (Read 16387 times)

navigator

• View Profile
Astro Ventilation Window Markings
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
All of the research I've come across  indicates that the Astro Ventilation markings on the  passenger and drivers side windows was discontinued part way through 1968. However, I recently looked at a 69 RS SS Convertible I'm considering buying that has the "Astro Ventilation" markings on the driver and passenger side windows. The car has 86000 original miles on it and has been parked by the current owner since 1983. She bought the car in 1972.  I grew up in the same town and remember the car well.  Everything about the car appears to be completely original and I have no doubt the current owner is telling me the truth when she says she has never had the windows replaced which might have explained why "Astro Ventilation" appears on the windows. The car, built in September of 1968 was sold through a dealer in Canada. Any help in figuring out this mystery would be appreciated. Even the codes don't make sense to me.  It's possible, the original owner might have had the windows replaced for some reason but that seems unlikely. The original owner bought the car new in the same town where the current owner lives. It's a smalll town and no one I've spoken to remembers anything ever happening to that car before the current owner bought it. If anyone could help with these codes I'd certainly appreciate it. The drivers side window is a Soft-Ray Solid Tempered Window with:  AS 2 ,  UX  and M55 stamped on it. The passenger side is also a Soft-Ray with AS 2, NX and M74 stamped on it. Any assistance in figuring out this mystery would be greatly appreciated. I have photos of the windows if that would help.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Astro Ventilation Window Markings
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
It's pretty unusual to have March and July, 1968 door glass in the same car; when was the car built?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
GM Vintage Car Services in Oshawa Ontario (George Zapora) - can assist you with exactly the date of production, shipping, and all other details such as delivered options, through his database of Canadian imported and sold cars.
All you need to get the entire documentation package from them is your Visa # (I believe it is near or slightly over $100 now) and the VIN # and he or one of the staff there can help you out - sometimes immediately over the phone as he did when I inquired about my car, prior to buying it years back..
I don't presently have the 1-800 number for the department - but it should be available via a Google search or maybe someone else will post it on here for you if you have an interest..
Randy

navigator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
Sorry, I listed the incorrect date codes. The driver's side window should have been CZ which I believe is Nov. 67. The passenger side is NX or Jan 68 while the left rear windows are both UX.

navigator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
Thanks Dutch, I have the documentation package from Vintage Car Services. Unless I'm missing something, however, it doesn't get into enough detail that would explain the glass used in production.

navigator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
John Z; the car was built in Sept. 68.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
The UX codes (July 68) on the quarter glass seem in line for a car built in September of 1968. 

The door glass does not seem to be original to me.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

navigator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
For what its worth, see attached photo of window markings.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the Astro glass just for a few months in 68 and then done?  I have never heard of a 69 having the glass.  Not saying it isnt possible.  Heck I have only seen a hand full of 68's with it..  Two of them were previously owned..

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the Astro glass just for a few months in 68 and then done?  I have never heard of a 69 having the glass.  Not saying it isnt possible.  Heck I have only seen a hand full of 68's with it..  Two of them were previously owned..

According to Ed's research ended after November of 67. Thought he would have chimed in by now.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
The UX codes (July 68) on the quarter glass seem in line for a car built in September of 1968. 

The door glass does not seem to be original to me.

Concur. The door glass appears to have been changed.
Kurt S
CRG

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
The windows could have been broken at the dealers lot and replaced with glass from the warehouse. Bought a Vette like that once.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

navigator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
I suppose its possible that both windows were replaced at some point within the first couple of years of its existence. It  seems unlikely, however,  but I guess anything is possible. What are the chances that the factory had left over windows from 68? After-all, the car was built in Sept of 68? 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
Doubtful. They used up the Astros in the end of 68, IIRC.
Kurt S
CRG

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
I have been told many times and again this weekend that my car  05C, (and all 68's) should have Astros. I'll guess they were changed for that reason.
 There are lots of camEro experts at any car show.  However there was 124378L300103, Palimino white with a black bench seat, Black V top, with legit Astro windows.
    VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

anything