Author Topic: rear brake/fuel line removal  (Read 4094 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
rear brake/fuel line removal
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:03:47 AM »
I'm 99% sure of the answer but I am putting it out there anyway, do I have to wait to drop the subframe before removing the fuel and rear brake line ? They are OE and I don't want to #$%^ them up ! I am to the point of being sick of removing .040 of undercoating ,rustoleum , factory overspray etc... I am down to using a brass toothbrush with laq. thinner so almost there. Upside ,gorgeous !   Cook DW ???

Race cars are a whole lot easier than restoration !!
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: rear brake/fuel line removal
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:36:10 AM »
I'm 99% sure of the answer but I am putting it out there anyway, do I have to wait to drop the subframe before removing the fuel and rear brake line ? They are OE and I don't want to #$%^ them up ! I am to the point of being sick of removing .040 of undercoating ,rustoleum , factory overspray etc... I am down to using a brass toothbrush with laq. thinner so almost there. Upside ,gorgeous !   Cook DW ???

Race cars are a whole lot easier than restoration !!

Are you are wanting to remove your brake & fuel lines before you remove the subframe?  Answer is yes.  Or are you wanting to remove the subframe before removing brake & fuel lines?  Answer is yes..  I have done it both ways..  Much easier without the engine in so you can make sure the lines do not get hung on anything.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Engines out, cars peeled down on the lift. I cant see making the turns through the subframe without screwing up the factory bends. Subframe is coming out soon anyway so it really does not matter but the lines are hanging ( secured ) in my way. Wondered if anyone had luck snaking them through ? If I have to loosen the bottom two bolts for clearance ,figured I might as well wait.  More fun running 1/2" braided !

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:34 AM »
Once you get all the clips loose on the fuel line (especially if you are on the lift) you can swing the line down in the back and snake the front of the line back out through the area of the firewall and subframe.  As they say, six of one; half a dozen of the other.

BTW I was a little  ??? when I saw the "Cook DW  ???"  Wasnt sure if I had posted about this previously or what..  lol

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:00:14 AM »
Just fishing for your input ,pretty active on the site and appear to know your stuff.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:13:19 AM »
I appreciate the compliment.   Just like many here wanting to learn & share the knowledge.   ;D