CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103753 Posts in 12184 Topics by 4697 Members
Latest Member: bobs67
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  rear brake/fuel line removal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: rear brake/fuel line removal  (Read 571 times)
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »

I'm 99% sure of the answer but I am putting it out there anyway, do I have to wait to drop the subframe before removing the fuel and rear brake line ? They are OE and I don't want to #$%^ them up ! I am to the point of being sick of removing .040 of undercoating ,rustoleum , factory overspray etc... I am down to using a brass toothbrush with laq. thinner so almost there. Upside ,gorgeous !   Cook DW Huh

Race cars are a whole lot easier than restoration !!
cook_dw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »

I'm 99% sure of the answer but I am putting it out there anyway, do I have to wait to drop the subframe before removing the fuel and rear brake line ? They are OE and I don't want to #$%^ them up ! I am to the point of being sick of removing .040 of undercoating ,rustoleum , factory overspray etc... I am down to using a brass toothbrush with laq. thinner so almost there. Upside ,gorgeous !   Cook DW Huh

Race cars are a whole lot easier than restoration !!

Are you are wanting to remove your brake & fuel lines before you remove the subframe?  Answer is yes.  Or are you wanting to remove the subframe before removing brake & fuel lines?  Answer is yes..  I have done it both ways..  Much easier without the engine in so you can make sure the lines do not get hung on anything.

Darrell Cook

1967 LeMans Blue SS/RS L35 clone
1968 Rallye Green SS L78 - unrestored original
1968 Matador Red Z28
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

Engines out, cars peeled down on the lift. I cant see making the turns through the subframe without screwing up the factory bends. Subframe is coming out soon anyway so it really does not matter but the lines are hanging ( secured ) in my way. Wondered if anyone had luck snaking them through ? If I have to loosen the bottom two bolts for clearance ,figured I might as well wait.  More fun running 1/2" braided !
cook_dw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

Once you get all the clips loose on the fuel line (especially if you are on the lift) you can swing the line down in the back and snake the front of the line back out through the area of the firewall and subframe.  As they say, six of one; half a dozen of the other.

BTW I was a little  Huh when I saw the "Cook DW  Huh"  Wasnt sure if I had posted about this previously or what..  lol

Darrell Cook

1968 Matador Red Z28
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:14 PM »

Just fishing for your input ,pretty active on the site and appear to know your stuff.
cook_dw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »

I appreciate the compliment.   Just like many here wanting to learn & share the knowledge.   Grin

Darrell Cook

1968 Matador Red Z28
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: