Author Topic: Engine hook bolts on manifold  (Read 47496 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Engine hook bolts on manifold
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
Edgemontvillage was referring to the engine orange on the head surface between the valve cover and intake manifold... ie. the upper part of the machined surface for intake gasket...  which normally would not get painted on such an engine (with aluminum manifold and aluminum valve covers)..

Yes, that's right. 

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Lift hooks on engines with aluminum intakes are known to have been brush-painted to match during assembly.
Learning more and more about less and less...

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
For the small population of original cars I've looked at it seems many 69's and later (70 LT1's) had natural lift hooks. There was a real debate about this on the Yenko site sometime back. On our 68 I have them painted but here is a late Sept. 69 built Z/28 survivor with no paint.

Thanks Chick that is what I thought. I assumed that the hooks got painted on the assembly line where the motors got painted as an assembly. For an aluminum intake with painted lift hooks, either the hooks would have been painted separately or they would have been painted in place with considerable overspray. Most original intakes that I have seen had minimal overspray on '69's and '70's.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Lift hooks on engines with aluminum intakes are known to have been brush-painted to match during assembly.
My 1968 07C z28 lift hooks were painted aluminum.  Also, what was strange was the intake manifold bolts.....they were standard phosphate coated bolts that had been painted aluminum, even the lift hook bolts were standard hex head bolts painted aluminum.  They must have run out of zinc plated ones and used what was available and painted them later.  Also my distributor hold down and bolt was painted aluminum.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 04:37:47 AM »
My 1100 mile 70 Z had the lift brackets painted silver along with the intake bolts. The plug wire stand off bracket was brush painted orange.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:42 AM »
For the small population of original cars I've looked at it seems many 69's and later (70 LT1's) had natural lift hooks. There was a real debate about this on the Yenko site sometime back. On our 68 I have them painted but here is a late Sept. 69 built Z/28 survivor with no paint.

From the pic you posted there is silver paint still on that bracket.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
My 1100 mile 70 Z had the lift brackets painted silver along with the intake bolts. The plug wire stand off bracket was brush painted orange.

This is consistent with what I've observed on unrestored engines with aluminum intakes.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
So were all the bolts used on the intake manifold the same head marking? I removed some recently that have no marking at all. Then they would not be original I assume? The motor had minimal work done to it before my ownership, so I would not have thought these to be replaced?  Hex head and Had washers underneath as well. Guess the washers prevent damage to the aluminum of the manifold.
Jimmy V.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »

From the pic you posted there is silver paint still on that bracket.
That was what I thought also.....looks just like mine before I cleaned them.  Another thing about the aluminum silver painted distributor hold down and bolt....they weren't to neat about painting them, apparently they used a brush as there was a lot of brush applied paint on the distributor wire.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
So were all the bolts used on the intake manifold the same head marking? I removed some recently that have no marking at all. Then they would not be original I assume? The motor had minimal work done to it before my ownership, so I would not have thought these to be replaced?  Hex head and Had washers underneath as well. Guess the washers prevent damage to the aluminum of the manifold.
Jimmy....there were two different lengths of intake manifold bolts that I know of and each of them had different head markings.  The short ones were used on the manifold holes that had no other parts attached or thin metal brackets and the longer ones were used on the holes with thicker brackets attached to the manifold...such as the smog bracket, lift hook, and alternator bracket.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
Good point Charlie! I need to look at that car again when the opportunity arises to check the bolts and better close up of the hook. :)
Jerry, interesting on your 68! My wire dist. holder just had very slight surface rust with nothing on it. Bolt similar!
Steve, have you observed any 67 or early 68 survivors with the hooks orange? Know you've seen a bunch compared to a couple on my end.......
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
So were all the bolts used on the intake manifold the same head marking? I removed some recently that have no marking at all. Then they would not be original I assume? The motor had minimal work done to it before my ownership, so I would not have thought these to be replaced?  Hex head and Had washers underneath as well. Guess the washers prevent damage to the aluminum of the manifold.
Jimmy one other thing on the manifold bolts....my understanding is that (and it may be wrong) the manifold bolts were first installed at the engine plant and they were all the short ones.  When the engine arrived at the auto assembly plant dress line, the short bolts were removed and the other ones added as the equipment was installed.  Thus, you could have different head stampings because you are dealing with two different plants.

Oops, forgot something, the AIM states that the orange alternator bracket on the '68 Z28 was part of the engine assembly (wouldn't apply to a '69), so this item might get a longer bolt at the engine plant. Also the AIM states that the spark plug wire towers were also part of the engine assembly, but these were thinner so maybe they used the short bolts. I haven't been able to determine where the engine hooks were installed, at the engine plant or the assembly line dress plant.  Maybe someone else might know for sure.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:03:14 PM by 1968 Z28 »
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
This is an interesting subject. Lets keep it going if we can. I know I don't have original intake bolts on my 69 Z and the lift hooks are painted orange, I painted the lift hooks myself and the bolts are from Ricks 1st Gen. So how many different bolts were used and what lengths would be a good place to start for a 69 Z intake?  
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »
Here is a clear pic of ours off our 68Z. This is one of the three originals. Our 68 had one each used for the engine lift hooks and one used for alternator support.

Jerry, this is the one that was in our orange bracket, the same type used for the engine hooks. Had three of these bolts and the bracket had the larger diameter impression from when it had been torqued. The one shown is one of the three originals that I had glass beaded and had re-coated with clear zinc.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 02:19:41 AM »
Chick....I could not find any shouldered bolts on my intake setup.  Go figure.....who knows what happened.  Good photo of the bolt....thanks for showing what should be there.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles