Author Topic: 1968 Rally Sport grille research  (Read 307662 times)

ccargo

• View Profile
Re: 68 RS center grille
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »
Original paint 04A 15,000 mile car. The car is currently in storage and it will be spring before I could get more detailed photos.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
Thanks ccargo.  I was hoping for a close-up shot but I understand.  Does anyone else with an original silver/chrome RS grille have a picture that they can post here for us?  Looking for one that would be something like this....http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1087.msg6237#msg6237

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
Wanted to share some recent off-line discussions I had with JohnZ regarding a part number change, in this case a 67 RS grille, which I feel is relevant to this thread.  I cited a specific example to him but as you will see in the end what essentially came out of the exchange is when the AIM shows a part number change then a part has been removed from service and another new part put in its place with a new part number.  That in itself seems straight forward and simple enough, but what is more interesting and what came out of the discussion is if there is a “minor” change made to a part then the drawing is revised and the drawing revision block has a date put in for that change.  Below are the exchanges (I’ve shortened and paraphrased my questions to save space):

Steve - That's a revision record of a "running change", where one part was cancelled and replaced by another one; there were hundreds of these through the model year. The date in the revision record was the date of the change at Engineering, but the actual effective date in production (on the line) could have been a month or two either before or after the date in the revision block - the effective date was tracked in a different system with an NPC (Notice of Production Change).

John

Question: So that part number change would mean that there would have actually been a change in the part and not simply the same part but with a different part number assigned to it?

Steve - When a part number changed, it was because the part actually changed to a different part; the previous part was cancelled, and replaced by the new part. Very minor changes in a part were handled with drawing changes, but those never changed the part number.

John

Question: What about drawing-only changes?

Steve
The only way to confirm a drawing-only change is to have the GM part drawing and look at the change history in the revision block; usually the only folks that have the original drawing are manufacturers of GM-licensed reproduction parts.

As those of you that have been following this thread already know the 68 RS center grille (part # 3919060) started the 68 production run with the chrome/silver horizontal bars.  No part number change has ever taken place with the grille although the chrome/silver horizontal bars were dropped at some point.  Was this a “minor” drawing change?  Don’t know, but I intend to pursue this as best I can (I have a GM lead) at the same time we continue to collect actual car data.

We have been successful in obtaining some additional info from one of the other persons that Rich put us in contact with.  He actually has two cars and the data he supplied for now supports the theory.  His 05 car also had the lower grille to valance screw/u-nut attachments found on Ed’s, Mark’s, and my car which, again if you have been following the thread, is an anomaly to the AIM.

Rich, I'm ready for more contacts if you have some.  :)

Steve

Note: See post 154 if you want to add your RS data.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 09:29:22 PM by Steve68 »

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2007, 04:25:52 AM »
Hi All -

I looked at a 04D Los Angeles built '68 RallySport "survivor" today. The center grille had been replaced as there was no sign of the old "chrome". However, the right and left headlamp covers appeared original as lots of "chrome" was still present on them.
I took a couple of photos if anybody is interested. Hope this info helps.

Paul  

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2007, 04:13:33 AM »
Hi Steve -

I have already emailed you some of the photos I took of this car per your request. I would appreciate it if you could post them here if you are able. I don't have the software to resize them. Hope the photos are of help.

Paul

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
Here are a couple of the pictures that Paul provided that I re-sized for posting.

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2007, 10:31:23 PM »
Two more pictures of same car.  Thanks Paul!

Steve

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:22 AM »
Steve -

Thanks for getting the photos posted.  This vehicle was packed (I couldn't even see the right side) inside a dark shop.  I got all the usual "numbers" off it, but didn't think to check the numbers of the headlamp covers at the time.  It's a true "survivor" and even sports its original engine. Unfortunately it's a "rust bucket" needing all the sheet metal (including the roof panel) replaced.   :(  Very unusual for sunny California   8)  It must have spent its life right on the coast.  Does anybody need a parts car?

Paul    

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »
Steve,

Sorry, for the delay but I have your information.

1. A. I an positive.

2. A. Yes

3. A. Black with horizontal chome stripes.  I don't believe they were chrome.  The original finish looked  like silver highlighted horizontal ribs.  I had mine painted Argent Silver a few years ago because the original finish was almost all worn off.

4. H. Never

7. There are no markings or stamps on the Drivers side of the grill.  On the passengers side there is a horizontal backwards 2 between the top and middle mold marks.  It appears the mold had a two die include and it printed backwards.  No other markings that I could find.

8 & 9.  The drivers side highlight cover has a horizantal backwards 1 (one) and the passengers side has a 2 stamped the same way.  The 2 matches the 2 on the grill.  No other markings could be found.

10. Norwood

11. The fourth week of January 1968.

12. The original engine is still in the car, L78 396/375hp.

13.  Steve, I will email you with my Vin #.  I would appreciate it if you would not share it.

I hope this helps.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:12 PM »
Bud

Thanks for the data.  It is very much appreciated and it does help.  What VIN?  ;)  As for your data, it is typical of what we would expect to see on an 01D car with the data collected so far.  The only thing that was a little unexpected was the number 2 on the passengers side headlight cover.  I only have one other data point with a 2 for that side and it is on an 05E car.  As for us calling the horizontal bars (some call them ribs) chrome, it's just what we started off with I guess not knowing any better.  Silver may be a more appropriate approximation of the original color of the material on the bars/ribs.  I believe the material is actually aluminum.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:10:23 AM by Steve68 »

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »
Steve,

You could be correct on the finish of the bars/ribs.  What little I had left looked like siver paint.

As for the headlight doors I could not find when they were manufactured.  They could have all been produced at one or two times during the production year. That would explain the space in the dates you have.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »
Hi All -

I looked at a 04D Los Angeles built '68 RallySport "survivor" today. The center grille had been replaced as there was no sign of the old "chrome". However, the right and left headlamp covers appeared original as lots of "chrome" was still present on them.
I took a couple of photos if anybody is interested. Hope this info helps.

Paul  

Hi all:

I looked at the pics Steve posted and have a question.  If this is a survivor 04D car shouldn't it have the D90 stripe not the D91 stripe?  I thought the D91 was replaced in January of 68 with the D90.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »
Mark the D91 remained an option throughout the rest of the 1968 model year on all models except the SS and Z28.

Ed

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2007, 01:34:35 AM »
Ed:

I did not know that.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
Hi Steve -

Just a heads up.  There's a 1968 Rally Sport on Ebay with what appears to be "chrome" on the headlamp doors (check out the photo of the "327" emblem in the listing).  I can't read the build date on the trim plate, all four photos are out of focus!  There is a phone number listed so you can call and talk to the seller if needed.  Also, I know we have a few CRG members in Southern California who might want to go on a field trip.   ;)   Here's the Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160091145412&rd=1&rd=1

Paul

anything