Author Topic: Drive Shaft Restoration  (Read 25859 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Drive Shaft Restoration
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:28:03 AM »
I am looking to get the original finish on my drive shaft, but I have never seen a picture of what a new one would look like. Does anyone have a picture of a new drive shaft or a drive shaft that is restored to factory specs. I have sen several versions of restored drive shafts, but would like to know which is correct.

My Team Camaro Thread

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219126
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Shaft Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Tough to impossible if it is badly rusted. Drive shafts were not coated in any way; new they had an appearance very similar to exhaust tubing. They were marked with stripes denoting balance and application but there is no factory documentation on color/position. Got rusty fairly quickly.

Simplest way to restore it? Have a new tube installed. Painting a rusted 'shaft silver doesn't get the job done.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
Simplest way to restore it? Have a new tube installed. Painting a rusted 'shaft silver doesn't get the job done.
 I agree...this is how I had the one restored on my 67 ragtop. The original tube had a ding in it when it dropped one day racing that caused a slight vibration in the stick. Once I got the restored shaft I gave it a coat of Imron clear and once installed the vibration was completely gone and it looked good and correct once the stripes were added back.
   Besides, when it is under the car, who really studies the shaft in detail outside for looking for stripes unless you are going for a 1000 point event.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:45:17 AM »
I decided to try an experiment and use a mild wire wheel on the drive shaft to see how it would turn out. I tried a small spot and liked the result so I did the whole drive shaft. It only took a few minutes at very light pressure. I may take some fine steel wool to finish it off. I may also clear it. Blasting it would give it a much duller finish.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:53:47 AM »
 That looks pretty darn good. If that were mine I'd go with it.

Mike

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
I agree with Mike.  it does look good, probably as good as possible, and I would also protect it.  with satin clear or ??..      *S*
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »
I agree with Mike.  it does look good, probably as good as possible, and I would also protect it.  with satin clear or ??..      *S*

Hey Gary that is what I was thinking. I am going to look into some clear products as I am also thinking of spray some of the other bare metal parts like the centre link parts of the tie rods and steering parts as well. Perhaps power steering pump as well. I want to maintain the restored look and want to avoid the bare metal parts from rusting. Master cylinder as well possibly. However I am also told that master cylinders cam in black gloss as well from the factory. Boeshield or RPM is also an option, but it would take regular maintenance for upkeep to ensure that rust does not develop, and on bare metal it does not take much to begin the process from starting.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Tons of info on here from members.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7861.0

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
A non-abrasive method of rust removal is to use a length of plastic pipe. Cap one end, drop the driveshaft in. Fill with de-rusting solution, cap. A few days later, as clean as can be.

I believe that was how the '72 Trans-Am resto drive shaft got done on the SYC site. Wire wheeling won't get all the pitting and may destroy what is left of the factory markings.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
so NOW ya tell us..   :) ..

Thanks...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
A non-abrasive method of rust removal is to use a length of plastic pipe. Cap one end, drop the driveshaft in. Fill with de-rusting solution, cap. A few days later, as clean as can be.

I believe that was how the '72 Trans-Am resto drive shaft got done on the SYC site. Wire wheeling won't get all the pitting and may destroy what is left of the factory markings.

Hey William that is how I removed the rust from drive shaft with Evaporust. Then I used the wheel to minimize the pitting. How far off is my finish?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »

Gesh...I use that method for restoring antique gun barrels prior to parkerizing. I never thought of using it on something like this!

Mike

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »

Hey William that is how I removed the rust from drive shaft with Evaporust. Then I used the wheel to minimize the pitting. How far off is my finish?

Not bad-you can see where the factory stripes were and that is the original finish. For a driver I'd use it.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »

Not bad-you can see where the factory stripes were and that is the original finish. For a driver I'd use it.

Thanks William. I was planning to put the stripes back on. Do you know what color I should use? Then I was thinking of clearing the drive shaft with a satin finish. Would that be acceptable for a driver?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
Here are a few more pics of the drive shaft.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

anything