Author Topic: Stamping Tool for VIN on Block & Trans  (Read 30748 times)

Larry Gibson

• View Profile
Stamping Tool for VIN on Block & Trans
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
Was the stamping tool for the VIN number used on the block also used to stamp the VIN on the transmission? The reason I ask is that I just pulled the engine out of my 69 Z and found the last 4 digits of the VIN stamped on the rough cast area by the oil filter. The stamping of course is very hard to see although the 4 digits I see are clear. So far I can't see any other letters or numbers in front of those four. The VIN stamping on the transmission is very clear but the first few letters are kinda light.

A little background info on this Z. Bought it in November 1983 and knew at the time that the block had been decked on a previous rebuild that blueprinted & balanced the engine. I also knew it was a real Z by the X33D80 on the trim tag. I was looking for a Z at the time and this was a nice car.

I have been doing a lot of research on CRG lately and have used that to make some discoveries about my car. I pulled the engine on Sunday in preparation to fix a rear main seal leak and some clean up and detailing. In the process, I checked part numbers, date codes, took pictures and created a document listing what I found. Of course I found some incorrect pieces(some I knew about already) but also found a lot of original items.

Let me know what you think about the stamping tool.

Thanks,

Larry

rszmjt

• View Profile
Re: Stamping Tool for VIN on Block & Trans
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Larry, Yes the same gang holder was used on the Transmission and the engine, so the characters/fonts should match. The Vin's are usually very hard to read in the rough cast area and sometimes only carefull scrutiny with a magnifying glass will reveal them, although I have seen others that are easily read, kinda depends on the roughness of the casting in that area and if Brutus was on the stamp that day! . It looks like your trans build date is P9E06A, which is P=Muncie,9=1969,E=May,06=6th day,A=M20 Wide Ratio. I am guessing your car is 06A production on the cowl tag?
BTW - That fill plug has seen better days, looks like it is going to be hard to get out and replace.?

Larry Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
Yes, the trim tag shows 06A as the time built code. The trans is an M20 as shown by the two rings on it.  See attached pictures. I have looked at the VIN on the block with a magnifying glass and also used a crayon and I can only make out the last 4 numbers of the VIN.

Larry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
Actually, there are several documented examples of cars that had the VIN stamped on the engine and trans with two different sets of stamps. It's unknown why.

I've only seen one other black with blue interior 69. It was on ebay recently and also was a Z.

Welcome!
Kurt S
CRG

Larry Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
Kurt,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been hanging around CRG for a couple of years and have learned a lot about my car as a result.

As a result of the thread on cowl induction hoods, I was able to verify that my Z originally came with the cowl hood. It was on the car when i bought it but had no wiring, solenoid, relay or frame on the back of the hood. I dug out the parts I got with the car recently and found the door(knew I had that), solenoid, relay, and grommet for the hood. Other items that came with the car is the backdrive linkage and some shifter rods(Car has a aftermarket Hurst shifter in it), chrome exhaust tips from the original exhaust, NOS door and roofrail weatherstrips, and a few other miscellaneous items.

I still need to document some other things like the bell housing, flywheel, starter, etc but after I do that I'd like to post what I've found if that is OK.

Is it fairly common to be able to only see a few of the VIN numbers on the rough casting of the block? I have no doubt now that it is the original engine based on the car build date and the casting date of the block.

Thanks,

Larry

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:45 AM »
My block is stamped on same place and the number is tough to see. The light has to be just right. Neat car you have
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34:58 AM »
Hey Larry. My 69Z is an 06A car. Your body number is 258 behind mine. That's the closest I have seen so by far.

Yes, the trim tag shows 06A as the time built code. The trans is an M20 as shown by the two rings on it.  See attached pictures. I have looked at the VIN on the block with a magnifying glass and also used a crayon and I can only make out the last 4 numbers of the VIN.

Larry
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Larry, that is a highly unusual color combination; I have a silver VN Z/28 with a 715 interior, but would love to see some pictures of your black on blue car if you're willing to post them!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Larry Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my Z. Some people will cringe at the sight of the stripes but they were on the car when I bought it and are a reflection of what was popular in the 70's. The stripes get a lot of comments when I have the car out. They are called endless lines. When I bought the car it had 50,197 miles on it. Today it has 57,379. Not a lot of miles in nearly 30 years of ownership. Until recently the only things I have done to it are: Replaced the headers in 1984 with a set of white Blackjack headers. Replaced the tires, added two wheel well moldings that were missing and a trunk mat. I replaced the exhaust system around 1988-89. When I got it had mufflers in front of the rear end with turndowns on them. Made a unreal sound when the rpm's got about 4K.

The car is really solid with only a couple of spots that have been worked on. Namely above the rear wheels and a spot behind the right rear wheel where a lady backed into it when the previous owner had it. Still has most of it's original paint although it is getting thin it spots and the lacquer is getting checked .

At this time, my intent is to keep it is with just doing some cleanup and detailing under the hood plus fixing the rear main seal leak.

Larry

Larry Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »
A few more pictures:

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I love your car. Keep the stripes...

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
I agree with Charley; you've got a nice car, an unusual color, and I think the small custom feature of the paint in the stripes sets it off, and coordinates with the blue interior quite well...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
    Is it fairly common to be able to only see a few of the VIN numbers on the rough casting of the block? I have no doubt now that it is the original engine based on the car build date and the casting date of the block.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes Larry, very common to only see a partial of the stamping. That is one rare color combo so congratulations.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Very cool. Someone spent some time on the stripes. I like it!
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
Great car Larry. Thanks for sharing the pic's.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

anything