Author Topic: Smokey Yunick  (Read 111542 times)

DustyMojave

• View Profile
Re: Smokey Yunick
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
Thanks, Richard. I had a nice phone conversation with John Ryals last week and I'm glad he pointed you to this forum. I think both of you will be assets to this forum as questions come up, especially with regard to cars or racers from the Southern California area. I did see Fred Sutherland's Mustang at Monterey last summer and thought it was very nicely done. The paint job looked just like the original too.

Thank you, Jon. John Ryals puts out very nice product. I've known him all my life. We've worked together on and off since 1986. But he did NOT point me to this forum and we haven't discussed it at all. He'd probably be amazed that I would be involved with a Camaro forum (I like early Camaros, Novas, Corvettes and such, but I prefer Fords). But maybe we could get John to provide some photos of his early Camaro A/Sedan he won the '73 Cal Club Regional Championship with to upload  to digital and share. It was a beautiful car he built himself.

As for cars and racing in SoCal, I wish sometimes now that I had spent my life walking around with a Go-Pro HD camera on my hat so I could share the cars, people and events I have seen. Smokey Yunick was quite a "character" to deal with. That was the only time I did. Even though I was surrounded with a myriad of such characters all the time, I remember him fairly well. His work was beautiful and went way beyond the level of work his competition did. I had a great deal of respect for him.
Richard

Speed kills...
But so does old age!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
That's just an odd coincidence then, I guess. No matter how you got here, I'm glad to have your input, Richard. I have talked to John Ryals about getting some photos of his old Camaro and he's going to see what he has. Apparently, he sold the car to a racer down in Mexico back in the mid '70s and hasn't seen it since. I wonder if it still exists.

Smokey's cars always were great looking and had the strongest engines in them. As a result, he never seemed to have a problem getting the best drivers out there to drive for him.
Jon Mello
CRG

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
The edelbrock car show is this weekend, Any thing anybody wants "seen"? The phoney 67 327 SS, or one of the Smokey 13's ?
 They will not pop the hoods.
   Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
The edelbrock car show is this weekend, Any thing anybody wants "seen"? The phoney 67 327 SS, or one of the Smokey 13's ?
 They will not pop the hoods.
   Victor
Do you mean the red car is phoney? Please explain.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »
Vic's red SS Camaro is not a phony. It does not have the 4P code on the cowl tag but that is normal practice for an early build '67 Norwood car, which that car is.
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I THOUGHT the red car was the first SS built in LA? That car sold lots of magazines and turned a lot of kids into Camaro addicts, me included, even if they did fake all the strip times. Which '67 is phoney then?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
The red car is the only '67 that Vic has, that I know of and it's not a phony. It was one of the first SS350s in the LA area but was not built at the Van Nuys plant. They probably didn't know or care where it was built when it was new.
Jon Mello
CRG

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
It's a real "car", phoney SS. So the First SS with the all new 350 was produced with a 327? ( I don't think so,  wheres the docs. ?)  Jon, lack of a 4P makes it an SS ? Do you have a picture of the motor stamps? and  the car mags NEVER fudged anything! Red Camaro on the cover sold many hot rod mags for sure. Some how this car is supposed to be real, but the Pink special paint Z-28 from another thread is for sure phoney becuse there is no doc's, How does this square?
 LA, Norwood what is the truth? somebody here (Mark or William maybe) says they have a picture of the cowl tag, Can that be checked.  See what I mean, the whole story on that car is foggy. I for one sure would like to nkow the truth about this very covered car. Vic's a hell of a guy, somehow he always remembers my name.
     Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
     With reference to reply #51 - The carb  "center to center"  on the duct measures 10 3/4".  I hope this helps.

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
     With reference to reply #51 - The carb  "center to center"  on the duct measures 10 3/4".  I hope this helps.

That is the correct measurement between the carb studs on a GM Cross ram intake.
Robert Lodewyk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Victor,

I saw the red '67 when Vic brought it to one of the vintage races years ago. I believe it was the Monterey Historics. I made note of the VIN and cowl tag info. I probably got a picture of the cowl tag but don't have it on my computer. It's not a big deal other than the fact that it does not have the 4P code on it. CRG has done a lot of research and it has been noted that the 4P code was not present on the first couple of months of production of Norwood-built SS350 cars. This does not make the car a phony SS350. Since this is a Smokey Yunick thread and this is veering away from that, feel free to post something up in the regular forum but we are done talking about that car in this thread. Thanks.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

That is the correct measurement between the carb studs on a GM Cross ram intake.

Thanks Ken and Robert for that information.
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Neat, I'll have to look through some old books to see if it was ever in a picture.Would be great to own a piece of Smokey history.

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
Ken,

I don't recognize the first item of yours at all. Some kind of an airbox for two-4bbls but for what car/application, I don't know. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

A center to center measurement of the carb studs will help determine the application.

Thanks for taking the measurement Ken. That measurement has put a lot of hearsay questions and comments to bed in the past. Much appreciated!
Bob

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:59 AM »
Smokey's Camaro on the high banks at Daytona in a Nascar GT race. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG