Author Topic: Smokey Yunick  (Read 111547 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Smokey Yunick
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »
Here's an article about Smokey Yunick's trip to Bonneville with three Camaros in late '67
where he smashed 266 speed records with his 302 and 396 powered cars. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
Re: Smokey Yunick
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
Optional 36 gallon tanks?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »
It was actually two stock 18-gallon Camaro tanks, one in the stock location and the other upside down in the trunk connected by a hose. They cancelled this option before the '67 Z-28 entered production but Ron Ogilvie of Bill Thomas Race Cars remembers doing these set-ups at the BTRC shop before the cancellation. My gold #1 car ran this double gas tank set-up but the team configured it on their own.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 01:27:54 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Not sure how I missed this when you first posted it  Jon. These can't be quotes from Smokey, there aren't any bleeps! He was probably my all time favorite racer/bui;der. I enjoy reading anything written by or about him. Thanks, Jon.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
jon, thanks for finding that article and posting it so quickly.

mike

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:40:02 AM »
It was actually two stock 18-gallon Camaro tanks, one in the stock location and the other upside down in the trunk connected by a hose. They cancelled this option before the '67 Z-28 entered production by Ron Ogilvie of Bill Thomas Race Cars remembers doing these set-ups at the BTRC shop before the cancellation. My gold #1 car ran this double gas tank set-up but the team configured it on their own.

Wow...that's very interesting! I haven't checked the rule book, but I suppose there were SCCA rules specifying fuel tank capacities regardless if they were factory options? The comparison would be to the big tank Corvette option.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:04:27 AM »
Beginning in April '68 (after the Daytona & Sebring endurance races), a 22-gallon fuel cell became mandatory in Trans-Am cars. Prior to that there was not the same sort of regulation on fuel tank size. Craig Fisher's Camaro ran a 40-gallon tank at Daytona in '67.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Jon. I am very surprised that the rules were that loose.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 05:52:38 AM »
I guess you could say the rules were "evolving" in those early years Fred. At the Green Valley Trans-Am in April '67, the tech inspectors felt that the fuel tank capacity was too large in Fisher's car so they told him he had to reduce it. What the team did to reduce the capacity was put plastic balls in the tank. The plastic melted during the race and gummed up the whole system so he ended up not finishing.
Jon Mello
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
that is a great article - thanks for posting

It is interesting that not much is said about Chevy's role in the building of the cars or sponsoring the record runs but it sure sounds like one of the underground Chevy racing team projects that Smokey did.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
I agree with you Joe....   I never had the impression that Smokey was 'rolling in money'...   and certainly the trip to Bonneville cost someone a LOT of $$... and Chevrolet has also fed money and parts to 'favored son' shops..   :)    (makes one envious thinking about some of that) *G*
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:27 AM »
I guess you could say the rules were "evolving" in those early years Fred. At the Green Valley Trans-Am in April '67, the tech inspectors felt that the fuel tank capacity was too large in Fisher's car so they told him he had to reduce it. What the team did to reduce the capacity was put plastic balls in the tank. The plastic melted during the race and gummed up the whole system so he ended up not finishing.

Great story! You have to admire the determination to make the race.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
January '68 Hot Rod magazine article on Smokey Yunick. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
He certainly never pulled any punches. Thanks Jon.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
You're welcome. Here's another Smokey Camaro photo. It is not the same car that appears in on page 105
of the Bonneville speed records article based on that car RS backup lights and rear license plate opening.

Hot Rod magazine photo
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
Never noticed the differance. Which car does Vic Edlebrock have?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
David Tom of the Historic Trans-Am Registry found the car and wound up selling it to Vic. I never saw any details of what they found, so I am not the right person to ask. Has anybody out there seen any pics of Vic's car in as-found condition?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 06:01:52 AM »
Here's another picture of Smokey's car at Riverside in September '67. The molded-in
rear spoiler was one of many things the SCCA tech inspectors didn't take kindly to.

Petersen Publishing photo
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
I think this may be my all time favorite Camaro. Thanks for posting the great articles. My next car should be this one. However in the above picture it looks like a rally sport, but Smokeys cars looked like non RS cars to me. How many cars did he run? This would be the only RS I have seen.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

woodsman1172

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
Great articles, thanks Jon!

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
You're welcome. Here's another Smokey Camaro photo. It is not the same car that appears in on page 105
of the Bonneville speed records article based on that car RS backup lights and rear license plate opening.

Hot Rod magazine photo
Jon, I googled smokey yunick camaro. Almost all the pics are modern of V.E.'s car which I think is a '68 non RS car. This one appears to be a real RS '67, there's a front view of this car but you never know with Smokey.

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
Does anyone know if the dyno numbers in the original artile are factory spec. or after Smokey modified the engines? It was suprised that they were using the 2.73:1 rear in the big block car. I always thought of a low ratio for highway cruising and better fuel milage rather than racing.

Thanks for posting the articles. It is awsome seeing the old photos of way it was back then for younger guys like me that were not around at that time.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 05:58:25 AM »
Those horsepower numbers are from Smokey's dyno and are not factory ratings. He was using the low numerical 2.73 ratio because he was trying to achieve a high top speed and not going for fast acceleration over a short distance such as a quarter mile.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
A little blurb from National Speed Sport News (July 10, 1968) giving some insight into Smokey's venture to Equador. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
Pure Smokey, at his best!!

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »

Hot Rod magazine photo
Jon, I googled smokey yunick camaro. Almost all the pics are modern of V.E.'s car which I think is a '68 non RS car. This one appears to be a real RS '67, there's a front view of this car but you never know with Smokey.

The Edelbrock/Yunick Camaro was at Road America a few years ago. Although it looks like a '68 it has a round wiper motor mounting; '67 only.
Learning more and more about less and less...

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
So are you thinking they started with a  '67 and it evolved into a '68?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
There is a round plate over the wiper motor opening on Vic's car but the surrounding metal is all '68. The '68s have two "grooves" in the metal, one on either side of the motor, and the '67s have a very smooth firewall with no such grooves. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere. The '68 and '69 wiper motor opening is oval also, not round like a '67. This plate on the Edelbrock car is large enough to cover it all (but not the grooves).
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 04:02:29 AM »
This car from Riverside has vent windows too, which could be changed easily.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 04:53:47 AM »
Here's a shot I have of the wiper motor area showing the '68 style crease in the firewall.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
Hot Rod magazine pic, December '67 issue.
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
     Vic's car is the 68 we had at Yenko for several years.Well, sort of.... As I recall , when David Tom found it , it was very rusty and he rebodied it before selling it to Vic. It had been acid dipped originally, so the metal was thin to start with.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »
SOOO, that's saying this '67 is sitting somewhere? Anyone know if it's a real Z? When built?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »
There is not only one first-gen Smokey Yunick Camaro and the Bonneville article confims that. Where the first car is now (the one that showed up at Riverside) is anybody's guess but I would have to think it no longer exists. There are no docs that I know of that indicate that Smokey built a car from an actual '67 Z. David Tom did give me some original door panels that he got from Smokey's shop and they are from December '66.
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
Thanks Jon, he's one man I sure wish I had met.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:26 AM »
Me too, Doug. Very interesting character, to say the least.
Jon Mello
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Smokey sold at least two Camaros that were dressed as 1968's and they were run in 1969

Don Yenko bought one of them but they were both in some of the same races in 1969

Don Yenko won the Citrus 250 at Daytona in 1969 and ran it in the 24hr Daytona race with Dick Guldsrand as co driver
Don ran about 6 TransAm races in it in 1969

I think the other one was bought by Tiny Lund but I am not sure

Tiny had a bunch of Camaros and won many Nascar races in them from about 1969 to 1971 often had Pepsi as a sponsor

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »
I have seen Tiny Lund driving a '69-bodied car with Pepsi sponsorship that was supposedly built by Smokey. I don't recall Tiny in a '68-bodied Camaro but maybe my brain's not firing on all cylinders.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »
Smokey Yunick's Camaro at the '68 Daytona 24-Hour, where it was disqualified. This photo is from Cars Illustrated
magazine. What's nice is it names a couple of Smokey's mechanics. I wonder if either of these guys is still around.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:28:34 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »
Smokey Yunick sold several (3 or 4) acid dipped 67-68 bodies plus one Daytona or Salt Flat "COMPLETE" (black and gold with #13 on doors and hood) car, less drivetrain, to John Todds in Spring of '69. Front clip and  black bench seat were installed on-in  my '67 street car and balance of car was still at Todco when I left in Spring of '72. I still own part (hand made Z-28 ram air prototype with #13 hand written on it) from Smokey.
                                                                                                                 Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ken. I remember you telling us about the one Smokey Camaro that provided your car with the seat and front clip, but I did not recall hearing there were 3 or 4 others. Why would John Todds buy all these cars and what became of them? Seems odd to buy them and just park them out back to waste away. Any chance you could show us a photo of the part you still own?
Jon Mello
CRG

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »
The one parked out back had a roll bar and and a factory wire harness and interior if I remember and was never "chemically milled". The dipped bodies must have been test bodies in as much as they were all dipped too long, but to different degrees. Not usable and why bought - not sure. I think Smokey might have considered them scrap. I believe they were stored in a barn outside of Montreal and maybe then scrapped. They were really way too thin to be unusable. I will take photos of what I have from Smokey and of a cross ram filter housing that was from Titus, Woods, or Smokey. Also not a production part but maybe someone will recognize it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 04:26:16 AM »
Very interesting, Ken. When you say the one out back had an interior, do you mean a full interior including carpet and headliner. You also indicate one was black & gold with the #13 on it but than also indicate the bodies were all too thin to be useable. Was the #13 black & gold car the one parked out back or one of the unusable bodies stored in a barn? Sorry if it's obvious and I'm confused. I suppose it was McConnell's money that was in play on this deal. Smokey would've been offloading the stuff cheap anyway because Bunkie Knudsen lured him over to work for Ford by then.

I'd love to see pics of the Smokey items that you mention.
Jon Mello
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
Jon, I don't know if Smokey could have built a 69 Camaro for Tiny Lund as Smokey went to Ford in 1969
when Bunkie Knudsen left Chevy to run Ford he took Smokey with him

Yunick built a 69 Mustang with a 429 and a 302 for the Ford Motor Company in 1969 and worked on other Ford projects

Smokey's mustang
http://www.ponysite.de/smokey.htm

rick50

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
Back in the late 1980's or early 1990's,  I called the Chevrolet dealership in Daytona Beach, FL inquiring about historical records as I was doing some research on an early MO engine block that I have.   I talked to several people there but got lucky with an older guy that gave me the telephone number of a lady that was retired that used to work at, what was then, Spence Chevrolet.

While she had no idea where any of the old records might be or if they even still existed,  she did remember her early years working there.   When I explained to her about me trying to make a Smokey Yunick connection to the engine block,  she said she couldn't help me with that but she did remember some strange things going in regard to Smokey Yunick during those years.    She remembered wooden crates coming in from Chevrolet to Smokey Yunick's attention.   Spence Chevrolet would call Smokey's shop to come pick the parts up.  Also,  the invoices would have their dealer code with a dash 13 on them.   Any invoices with a dash 13, she wasn't supposed to pay Chevrolet.   She said it wouldn't matter if the dash 13 was there or not, because all of the invoices stated  "Misc. Parts"  in the description column and the unit cost was zero.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:49 AM »
Rick, that's some neat information. Thanks for sharing.

Joe, I agree about Smokey going over to Ford for '69 however Pete Hamilton drove a very fast '69 Camaro with Gene White (the East Coast Firestone tire distributor) sponsorship and Gene White was no car builder. The speculaton was that Smokey Yunick built the car. That hasn't been definitively proven either way, that I know of. Maybe somebody else knows? I think Tiny took over that car in '70. Tiny had been driving Cougars in Nascar GT the previous couple of years. It could be the Gene White car was built just prior to Smokey going to Ford.
Jon Mello
CRG

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »
A friend just bought a 69 Torino that Bunkie had Holman- Moody-Stroppe build for Bobby Unser to run Pikes Peak. Smokey built the Boss 429 that went in it. Head the record for I think 6 years.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:15 AM »
I was always impressed by the big Detroit Iron that guys would race up that hill with the tails hanging out over the edge of a steep cliff. My hat is off to all the racers that took on Pikes Peak no matter what they were driving.
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
       Warren Dernoshek and I had a discussion about the Gene White car last year. Warren talked to Smokey over the years and he confirmed thatcar was his. I have photos of this car in my files.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:55 AM »
That's good info, Mark. Thank you. I read Smokey's biography and he may have mentioned the Gene White car in there but it's been over 10 years since I read it and I have simply forgotten.

I have posted photos below that Ken Ulrich sent me last night. These are the pieces he got from Smokey which he talked about in reply #39.

"The duct is made of an off white beige plastic and held together with pop rivets not glued or heat bonded and has original piece of masking tape as received in shipment
from Smokey just after '69 Sebring race. Cross ram duct, made of fiberglass not plastic, is sort of rough around the edges and does not have provision for air cleaner. My
guess is it was made for dyno testing, was probably also from Smokey, (has trace of masking tape on top). The  '69 Trans Am chassis Todco received from Godsall or
Titus was only a rolling chassis so not likely to have an air cleaner, especially one not designed for use without air cleaner. If used for dyno testing not from Roy Woods.

The acid dipped bodies, I believe 3 of them not 4, were bare metal not painted. The black and gold one was "probably" a production car was NOT acid dipped, had
factory caulking, factory dash and factory glass. It had a roll bar but not a full cage. It did not have a back seat. I do not remember if it had headliner or carpet but I
think it had a cut out in trunk from a fuel cell. Whenever I see a photo of one of Smokey"s gold and black cars with # 13 it still send a chill up my spine."

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2013, 05:57:32 AM »
Ken,

I don't recognize the first item of yours at all. Some kind of an airbox for two-4bbls but for what car/application, I don't know. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

As for the duct with the "#13-302" label on it, it looks very similar in construction to the one used on the Z-28 prototype or press preview car shown below. This is slightly different than the duct looked like on the production line Z-28s in '67-'68 due to its riveted construction and other subtle differences.

Also, the light color of the duct under the black paint reminded me of the white duct on Craig Fisher's car seen at Daytona in February '67.

Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Ken,

I don't recognize the first item of yours at all. Some kind of an airbox for two-4bbls but for what car/application, I don't know. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

A center to center measurement of the carb studs will help determine the application.

DustyMojave

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Beginning in April '68 (after the Daytona & Sebring endurance races), a 22-gallon fuel cell became mandatory in Trans-Am cars. Prior to that there was not the same sort of regulation on fuel tank size. Craig Fisher's Camaro ran a 40-gallon tank at Daytona in '67.
As a former SCCA Tech Inspector during the era discussed in this thread, I can say that as a production-based class, it would not have made sense to have forbidden stock gas tanks. The rules for 1967 required "stock" gas tanks.

FIA Group 1 rule excerpted from the Sedan Category rules in the 1967 SCCA General Competition Regulations (GCR):
"Art. 257 -- Mountings and modifications authorized:
b) fuel and oil tanks: must be those normally provided by the manufacturer for the model concerned, the capacities of which are mentioned on the recognition form. If, for the said model, tanks of different capacities are normally provided, only those mounted on the required number of cars necessary for recognition of the said model will be authorized."
Richard

Speed kills...
But so does old age!

DustyMojave

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
January '68 Hot Rod magazine article on Smokey Yunick. (Jon Mello Collection)

Regarding the 67 Camaro that Smokey entered in the Trans Am series...
As I stated in my post above, I was an SCCA Tech Inspector at that time. I was a kid whose parents were Inspectors and the Chief of Tech for the Pro Series was John Timanus, who had been the Cal Club region Chief of Tech, so he knew me. At the Riverside race, Smokey and his crew showed up late with the car for Tech. I was by the Scales when they showed up and went and fetched John Timanus and my dad, Jack Parcells, who was the Cal Club Chief of Rules Enforcement (a sub-group of Tech, which was responsible for teardowns and such). John agreed to inspect the car even though it was after the specified time. The 3 of us were the inspectors for this car. John asked Smokey to have his crew unload the car from the trailer for inspection. As they untied the car, I already spotted a serious rule violation and pointed it out to John. The car had a non-removable full belly pan painted to match the upper surface.
"but if you think that 'un was slick, wait'll (sic) you see this Camaro. You can turn it upside down and cant tell the difference or which side's smoother. Ain't nobody said nothin' in the rules about..."
One thing in the rule book Smokey had read too quickly was the part where it said "Mountings and modifications authorized". It specifies thereafter ALL of the modifications which WERE ALLOWED. The SCCA rule book was not full of rules about what one COULD NOT do. That sort of rule book would go on to infinity. One started with a car precisely as specified in the FIA recognition form that the manufacturer had submitted for that model of car, and the rule book then told exactly which modifications WERE allowed from that. So anything "nobody said nothin' in the rules about" were things which were NOT allowed. He just didn't get that. The body shell of that car was acid dipped 'til it was nearly transparent. A fingertip could make a huge dent in the roof or any other panel. As we inspected the car finding one violation after another, John finally said..."There's no point in continuing this. The car is so far outside of the rules it can't be brought within them this week or ever. Pack it up and take it home and don't ever show up with it again!" Smokey tried to argue, but John just gave him a stern look and turned and walked away.

I never encountered a race car of any sort with body work so thin and weak. I would expect that car to wrinkle the roof and sides from the airflow as it went down the track. It was absolutely gorgeous and I'm quite sure it would have been very fast too. But it wasn't going to be fast or race at all in Trans Am. Note in the pics of the Trans Am car above, little details such as the VERY tight door and hood lines, the lack of holes for bumper mounting bolts, etc.
Richard

Speed kills...
But so does old age!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2013, 06:25:58 AM »
Welcome aboard! Thanks for signing up and giving us your recollections from Smokey's Riverside escapade. My folks were tech inspectors for SCCA also but we were in Illinois back then. I got my tech license in '73. If you took any pics from the '67-'72 Trans-Am era, we'd love to see them.
Jon Mello
CRG

DustyMojave

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2013, 07:59:21 AM »
Hi Jon.

So you know, My name is Richard Parcells. In '73 I was transitioning over to working Offroad races. The last time I worked an SCCA race was the 1975 Long Beach Grand Prix. I have a few pics I took in the late 60s-early 70s on film, but almost nothing of those uploaded to the computer.

I recently worked with John Ryals on restoring the Fred Sutherland 67 Shelby Mustang Trans Am car for Fred. John Morton drove it at the Monterey Historics this past summer. I have some pics of that car and some of the other Trans Am cars I've worked on...a 1971 Penske - Roy Woods Javelin and a 1969 Mustang Boss 302.

I'll share those soon, maybe in another thread. Thanks for putting this whole board together!
Richard

Speed kills...
But so does old age!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Thanks, Richard. I had a nice phone conversation with John Ryals last week and I'm glad he pointed you to this forum. I think both of you will be assets to this forum as questions come up, especially with regard to cars or racers from the Southern California area. I did see Fred Sutherland's Mustang at Monterey last summer and thought it was very nicely done. The paint job looked just like the original too.

Get back to the Smokey car parked out behind the Todco shop, Ken Ulrich had described the car as having a roll bar and not a full roll cage, plus it was not an acid-dipped car. To me that sounds a bit strange for a Smokey car since I would assume he would always build a cage because of how he built cars for Nascar. I did take an opportunity to blow up the pics of the cars Smokey was using at Bonneville and, granted it is hard to tell for sure, but it seems like there may not have been a full cage in one of the cars used there. Does anybody else out there have more pics of the Camaros Smokey ran at Bonneville in late '67?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:03:11 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
Ken,

A center to center measurement of the carb studs will help determine the application.
I believe this airbox is too small for a crossram. Is that what you were infering? This was the period in racing history most of us followed closely. I'm glad to see new members and information.

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
The Smokey Camaro parked behind Todco was not an RS. When we received the Camaro bodies from Smokey, The acid dipped bodies went into storrage and I never saw them again. John Todds told me at the time (1969) that the#13 black and gold rolling chassis I spoke of earlier was a Bonneville car. The front fenders were slightly stretched wider at wheel openings and this front clip is the one you see in the photos of my street car posted under Todco. Drivers door is reflecting light but fender is not due to angle caused by stretch.
             Ken

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
I will measure the center to center later this week, thanks Maroman.
                                                                                          Ken

DustyMojave

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
Thanks, Richard. I had a nice phone conversation with John Ryals last week and I'm glad he pointed you to this forum. I think both of you will be assets to this forum as questions come up, especially with regard to cars or racers from the Southern California area. I did see Fred Sutherland's Mustang at Monterey last summer and thought it was very nicely done. The paint job looked just like the original too.

Thank you, Jon. John Ryals puts out very nice product. I've known him all my life. We've worked together on and off since 1986. But he did NOT point me to this forum and we haven't discussed it at all. He'd probably be amazed that I would be involved with a Camaro forum (I like early Camaros, Novas, Corvettes and such, but I prefer Fords). But maybe we could get John to provide some photos of his early Camaro A/Sedan he won the '73 Cal Club Regional Championship with to upload  to digital and share. It was a beautiful car he built himself.

As for cars and racing in SoCal, I wish sometimes now that I had spent my life walking around with a Go-Pro HD camera on my hat so I could share the cars, people and events I have seen. Smokey Yunick was quite a "character" to deal with. That was the only time I did. Even though I was surrounded with a myriad of such characters all the time, I remember him fairly well. His work was beautiful and went way beyond the level of work his competition did. I had a great deal of respect for him.
Richard

Speed kills...
But so does old age!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
That's just an odd coincidence then, I guess. No matter how you got here, I'm glad to have your input, Richard. I have talked to John Ryals about getting some photos of his old Camaro and he's going to see what he has. Apparently, he sold the car to a racer down in Mexico back in the mid '70s and hasn't seen it since. I wonder if it still exists.

Smokey's cars always were great looking and had the strongest engines in them. As a result, he never seemed to have a problem getting the best drivers out there to drive for him.
Jon Mello
CRG

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
The edelbrock car show is this weekend, Any thing anybody wants "seen"? The phoney 67 327 SS, or one of the Smokey 13's ?
 They will not pop the hoods.
   Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
The edelbrock car show is this weekend, Any thing anybody wants "seen"? The phoney 67 327 SS, or one of the Smokey 13's ?
 They will not pop the hoods.
   Victor
Do you mean the red car is phoney? Please explain.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »
Vic's red SS Camaro is not a phony. It does not have the 4P code on the cowl tag but that is normal practice for an early build '67 Norwood car, which that car is.
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I THOUGHT the red car was the first SS built in LA? That car sold lots of magazines and turned a lot of kids into Camaro addicts, me included, even if they did fake all the strip times. Which '67 is phoney then?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
The red car is the only '67 that Vic has, that I know of and it's not a phony. It was one of the first SS350s in the LA area but was not built at the Van Nuys plant. They probably didn't know or care where it was built when it was new.
Jon Mello
CRG

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
It's a real "car", phoney SS. So the First SS with the all new 350 was produced with a 327? ( I don't think so,  wheres the docs. ?)  Jon, lack of a 4P makes it an SS ? Do you have a picture of the motor stamps? and  the car mags NEVER fudged anything! Red Camaro on the cover sold many hot rod mags for sure. Some how this car is supposed to be real, but the Pink special paint Z-28 from another thread is for sure phoney becuse there is no doc's, How does this square?
 LA, Norwood what is the truth? somebody here (Mark or William maybe) says they have a picture of the cowl tag, Can that be checked.  See what I mean, the whole story on that car is foggy. I for one sure would like to nkow the truth about this very covered car. Vic's a hell of a guy, somehow he always remembers my name.
     Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
     With reference to reply #51 - The carb  "center to center"  on the duct measures 10 3/4".  I hope this helps.

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
     With reference to reply #51 - The carb  "center to center"  on the duct measures 10 3/4".  I hope this helps.

That is the correct measurement between the carb studs on a GM Cross ram intake.
Robert Lodewyk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Victor,

I saw the red '67 when Vic brought it to one of the vintage races years ago. I believe it was the Monterey Historics. I made note of the VIN and cowl tag info. I probably got a picture of the cowl tag but don't have it on my computer. It's not a big deal other than the fact that it does not have the 4P code on it. CRG has done a lot of research and it has been noted that the 4P code was not present on the first couple of months of production of Norwood-built SS350 cars. This does not make the car a phony SS350. Since this is a Smokey Yunick thread and this is veering away from that, feel free to post something up in the regular forum but we are done talking about that car in this thread. Thanks.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

That is the correct measurement between the carb studs on a GM Cross ram intake.

Thanks Ken and Robert for that information.
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Neat, I'll have to look through some old books to see if it was ever in a picture.Would be great to own a piece of Smokey history.

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
Ken,

Thanks for taking the measurement Ken. That measurement has put a lot of hearsay questions and comments to bed in the past. Much appreciated!
Bob

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:59 AM »
Smokey's Camaro on the high banks at Daytona in a Nascar GT race. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
More vintage Smokey Yunick Camaro photos from Riverside, September 1967. These are from Petersen Publishing. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »
Great pictures Jon. Thanks for sharing.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
a good friend clark irwin who worked for GM at the tech center spent time at smokeys. he would send me little tips on stuff they did with the BBC. i have some here on my computer and will post them if i can.
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
here is one on BBC chevy heads
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
when we ran the 57 FI chey on the NASCAR beach race at daytona in 57 we burned a piston,towed it over to smokeys repaired it and drove it back to Pa. back then you drove the race cars to the races. smokeys car also burned a piston while leading

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
Wow, you are older than dirt, aren't you.  :D

Who was the driver of the 57 you were associated with? Yes, it's true that many cars got driven to the track in the old days. Paul van Valkenburgh drove his Camaro to the track in the 1971 Trans-Am series although by that late date, it was certainly more the exception than the rule.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
And if they weren't driven to the races, they were flat towed.

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
Wow, you are older than dirt, aren't you.  :D

Who was the driver of the 57 you were associated with? Yes, it's true that many cars got driven to the track in the old days. Paul van Valkenburgh drove his Camaro to the track in the 1971 Trans-Am series although by that late date, it was certainly more the exception than the rule.
ed fiola who was my cousin. i just turned 79 in may

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
Wow, you are older than dirt, aren't you.  :D

in paul's book about GM racing he listed my friend clark irwin's name
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:06:00 PM by motorman »

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »
Some pictures showing the double floor pan.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »
found this pretty cool shot of I believe, smokey's camaro on the pole for a NASCAR GT race. guessing 1968 ? the shot is about half way down the page. followed by a pic of the two cougars from 1967. hope the link works.

mike in canada   http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585&page=4145

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2013, 03:01:37 AM »
Thanks for posting, Mike. Yes, I do think that's one of Smokey's Camaros and it does appear to be from '68.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
Smokey Yunick auction coverage from the August 1988 issue of Super Chevy magazine.

Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
Thanks John. The canted valve small block is now in a '69 Camaro in Garret's museum.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
You're welcome, Doug.  I believe the '67 302 is owned by Max Raffaele who has a white '67 Z he's putting it in.
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
Great Story. Any updates on what happened with the auction at the '89 Daytona 500?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I don't recall seeing a follow-up article with details on the second auction and I don't personally
know what was left to sell. If somebody else has a follow-up article or more details, feel free to fill us in. I think
that Tom McIntyre and Mark Mountanos from the Historic Trans-Am group got most or all of the MkII Mystery Motor
components from the first auction. David Tom also bought numerous items from Smokey's auction, including the
first '70-1/2 Camaro off the line from the Norwood plant, a 6-cylinder car that was used on the Milford Proving
Ground for development work before being sent to Smokey.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
Here's another shot of one of the Camaros that Smokey used at Bonneville to set various speed records.

GM Media Archive photo
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
Black and gold? Side of car looks black.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 04:38:10 AM »
Yes. gold top and black sides.
Jon Mello
CRG

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »
I could be wrong but I think I remember a red pinstripe between the black and gold
                                                                                                     Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:38 AM »
Ken, the red pinstriping was definitely used.
Jon Mello
CRG

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
I owned the experimental turbo vega engine shown on page 27..it was sold after he passed away..along with a few more ultra rare items..A couple prototype big block aluminum intakes ..part #3878299 one of them was on a 66 427 with H. Yunick stamped in it...I need to find a good home!

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2016, 03:08:23 AM »
Jon, I'm surprised that no one caught who is behind the wheel of the Yunick Camaro at Daytona in your last post ! pictures of Jim Hall with the car are rare ! here's the one with Hall climbing in, that was on e-bay a while back, you and I talked about it at the time it was listed. I don't know if Hall did any laps ? I've heard differing stories.

(unattributed photo)

Mike (group/7)

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:19 AM »
here's one of Smokey & Jim Hall, also at Daytona 1968. I think Hall is saying " well Smokey, there seems to be a little problem with tech"    ;D

(photo from the revs site)

Mike (group/7)

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2016, 03:38:18 AM »
here's a piece from a paper ? they got Bruce McLarens first name wrong ! I found this on a French forum I frequent.

Mike (group/7)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
At least they spelled his last name right!  Smokey got it wrong when he painted it on the car.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2016, 07:55:38 PM »
good catch Jon, I've looked at that photo many times, and didn't spot it !  ::)

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:18 AM »
here's a bit of a long winded story, I found, about Pete hamilton in what it says is an ex Yunick '68 Camaro ?

http://www.racefansforever.org/who-needs-brakes-pass-the-fried-chicken--well-see-you-in-court.html

Mike (group/7)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I don't recall seeing a follow-up article with details on the second auction and I don't personally
know what was left to sell. If somebody else has a follow-up article or more details, feel free to fill us in. I think
that Tom McIntyre and Mark Mountanos from the Historic Trans-Am group got most or all of the MkII Mystery Motor
components from the first auction. David Tom also bought numerous items from Smokey's auction, including the
first '70-1/2 Camaro off the line from the Norwood plant, a 6-cylinder car that was used on the Milford Proving
Ground for development work before being sent to Smokey.

Any pictures of that car by chance?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:38 AM »
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2016, 04:34:18 AM »
Jon, that would look good beside your gold Z.

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »
That drivetrain and color combo is a lot cooler than the pilot #1 67 Camaro.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
I thought I'd read somewhere that the first 1970 Camaro (sn ..001) also carried a 6-cyl from the factory...??   so whatever Chevy testing or Smokey put in it after production would NOT be the original parts...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
So who owns this 70 camaro now?

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
So who owns this 70 camaro now?

Robert

I have no idea, Robert

Yes, Gary. Both the '67 and the '70 have 6-cylinder VIN serial numbers.
Jon Mello
CRG

x44d80

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2016, 01:16:33 AM »
This is from the article in Hot Rod about Vic's car. Says Vic Edelbrock, who owns the restored car today, “The front suspension points were relocated and the sub-frame Z-cut and rewelded to allow for a lower floor pan. The entire body was acid-dipped, the hood and front fenders are reshaped and are wider and lower, and every surface under the body was made smooth and reshaped to reduce drag. The windshield was laid back and the drip rails pulled in flush with the body.”
Question.  How do you lay a windshield back on a Camaro?

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »
Ask Smokey, he did all the time.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2016, 04:30:51 AM »
Question.  How do you lay a windshield back on a Camaro?

My best guess is he did a very minor variant of the "chop-top" procedure and altered how the windshield rests, albeit very slightly.

I remember reading that this was done to a second gen camaro that Smokey helped prepare as well--they chopped the top a bit to achieve less drag.
Nick

x44d80

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Fascinating. The amount of work to chop a roof on the curvy lines of a 1st Gen Camaro must be a hugh undertaking. Also to add a smooth floor to the bottom of it boggles my mind on the time spent on the car.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
You guys obviously never followed Smokey's projects. Labor was not an issue with him. Take a good look at pictures of the '66 Chevelle before Curtis Turner balled it up.

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »
I'm curious about the 3 piece spoiler on the 70 1/2 car. I remember reading that the Chaparral cars had a lot of down force issues with the original 2nd gen 1 piece spoiler and lobbied to have the three piece spoiler homogolated. If anything wouldnt this car being the first one produced, at the very least, have the early 1 piece spoiler?

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
Jon do you know if the LS6 and M-22 in the car now, is the same one Vince's guys did back in 1970?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
All I know about the '70 Camaro that David Tom bought from Smokey was that it has a 6-cylinder VIN, it was all disassembled when he bought it from Smokey, it had some pieces on it that said pilot, and David Tom put it together like you see it. Being a 6-cylinder car, it would have never been built by the Norwood plant with any version of the rear spoiler. I have heard the story that the tech center used it for testing a 454 and other pieces. Whether that is a fabricated BS story or the truth, I have no idea. I have never researched that car. I don't think Smokey used it for anything. He built another '70 Camaro for Swede Savage to race and that car is in Europe, the last that I heard.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2016, 03:51:19 AM »
here is a pic of the Yunick Camaro at the Glen '71

(no credit for photo)

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »
here is a photo of the Swede Savage driven, Yunick Camaro after the harmonic balancer blew when he was running second.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »
here is a write up I found somewhere on the net, by Tom Smith on the Yunick Camaro at Watkins Glen in 1971.

apologies if this has been posted here before.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Another photo of Smokey's Camaro at Riverside in September '67.
Jon Mello
CRG

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2017, 08:11:58 PM »
That is a great picture showing the grille and headlight doors being pushed forward to get rid of the recessed area.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »
That's probably one of the long list of items that the SCCA tech inspectors had a problem with.
Jon Mello
CRG

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
no doubt, for everyone thing obviously illegal there were probably 3 or 4 that under the radar. This car also had the windshield laid back a degree or two I believe among a great deal of lore and legends of other changes made to the car.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
just thought i's repost this photo of the Yunick Camaro at Watkins Glen 1971, since it was on the previous page and not viewed as much as the photo after the blow up.

(unattributed photo)

terryr

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
Hi there. I've been reading  quite a bit on your forums regarding trans-am and Yunick. [an add-on for the browser allows viewing of old PB pics.] Used to have a 69 and a 70 SS.

There is quite a bit of Yunick stuff at Hot Rod magazines site, with nice big pictures. Like this one.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/smokey-yunicks-mysterious-no-13-camaro/

Ever see the suspension on his chevelle?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1010-smokey-yunick-1967-chevy-chevelle/

Their search function sucks, so better to use goggle as follows.

yunick site:hotrod.com

[You can use this for any site. Also use a  '-' to exclude a word  smokey -yunick. Use a quotes to include all words. "smokey yunick"]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:08:22 PM by terryr »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Thanks for posting, Terry.  The links and helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jon Mello
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
I found several pictures of the #81 Camaro entered by Smokey Yunick in the 1968 12 Hours of Sebring held at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Florida on March 23, 1968.  After the disqualifications at Riverside and Daytona it's nice to see pictures of the car actually participating in a race, although it would not finish the event.  Lloyd Ruby and Al Unser were the drivers.  Views of Ruby, Unser, Yunick and crew members can also be seen.  A few pictures show the car without the advertising stickers on the front quarter panel.  I assume this was practice or qualifying.  The pictures come from the Revs Digital Library and as usual just click on the links provided to use the zoom in features to see close up versions of the images.

1: http://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/collection/p17257coll1/id/349226/rec/288
2: http://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/collection/p17257coll1/id/239946/rec/527
3: http://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/collection/p17257coll1/id/354245/rec/336
4: http://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/collection/p17257coll1/id/340352/rec/225
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2021, 10:51:09 PM »
Somebody posted this in Instagram with no further info.  Looks to be one of the '68 Camaros that Smokey ran at Bonneville along with the '67 car he had at Riverside a month or two earlier.  I see a tall '68 dash pad beside the lack of vent window and the roll bar is not a full cage like the Riverside car had.  Hopefully more get posted.
Jon Mello
CRG

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »
That's a great shot Jon, taken from another moving vehicle. Interesting roll cage detail,

kgu

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2022, 11:11:51 PM »
With reference to post #133: This could very well be the the car that ended up at Todco since it has a 1967 photo date and the front clip had a 1967 grill. I sure wish I could take a step back in time.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2023, 03:07:03 AM »
I Just came across this image, looks to be the two Yunick Camaros, caption said Wendover Utah. Didn't he have one car with a big

block and another with a small block to go for different records at Bonneville ?

I know this has probably been discussed here before, the Edelbrock car is still around, what about the second one ?

Mike

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2023, 03:15:57 AM »
Also found this image, caption said Sebring '68, the car had #18 in other photos I saw from that race.

Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2023, 05:36:26 PM »
I had not seen the gas station photo before so many thanks for posting it.  Off the top of my head I thought I heard that there were three Smokey Camaros at Bonneville in '68.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2023, 04:18:26 PM »
I can only imagine what the owner of that Wendover small town garage was thinking having Smokey arrive with his cars! Amazing pictures, and thanks for posting.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2023, 10:54:29 PM »
Brightened it up a bit.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2023, 03:39:17 AM »
Thanks Jon !

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2023, 03:45:33 AM »
I had posted a link in this thread Jan. 20th. 2016 that included this photo, the link doesn't seem to work any more, so here's the

photo of Pete Hamilton in it says one of the x Yunick '68 Camaros.

Mike

as usual can't seem to get the whole thing sized to fit  ::) so scroll l-r.

Jon, is this a '68, has a '69 hood ? ? ?

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2023, 05:23:59 AM »
I wonder why they would have installed a vinyl top? I know Penske's issues, but you'd think given Smokey's reputation he would already have lightened the car as much as possible.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2023, 03:26:47 PM »
I wonder why they would have installed a vinyl top? I know Penske's issues, but you'd think given Smokey's reputation he would already have lightened the car as much as possible.

It's my understanding it was installed to hide some roof mods, and to cover up the ultra thin metal from acid dipping.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2023, 03:28:34 PM »
Brightened it up a bit.

Thanks, Jon.
Also this photo, and the other one appears to be a still from old Super 8 film footage. IF that is the case, wonder where/who has it?
1968 Olds 442 W-30

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2023, 07:01:21 AM »

It's my understanding it was installed to hide some roof mods, and to cover up the ultra thin metal from acid dipping.

Yes, that was the case with the 1969 Penske Camaro. In the end, I don't know how it could have been an advantage with the added weight and aero drag of the vinyl. The way they ran though, it didn't matter. 

Not sure about why this car needed a vinyl roof though. Easily could be for the same reason. 

anything