Author Topic: Are these ex-Trans Am Camaros racing at multiple Daytona 24 hour races?  (Read 25808 times)

cuda48

• View Profile
Re: Are these ex-Trans Am Camaros racing at multiple Daytona 24 hour races?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »
Hey, finding a bunch of old photos is the easy part.  Trying to track down car numbers, figuring out which event, which driver and tracing the history takes talent and lots of time. Try it some time.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »
from what robert says, the ex chaparral mo carter camaro was parted out. is the car that runs now as a chaparral camaro in historic trans-am the former sid rust car ? am I correct in assuming that agor car now also vintage raced, is the third ex chaparral car,now orange and running #13 ?  any body give some input ?

mike

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:06 AM »
Hey, finding a bunch of old photos is the easy part.  Trying to track down car numbers, figuring out which event, which driver and tracing the history takes talent and lots of time. Try it some time.

Brutally honest, but right on.

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:11:56 AM »
Group 7,
I believe you are correct on both remaining Hall Camaros

Mike

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:24 AM »
That white and orange Camaro #56 is driven by Craig Carter, not Mo Carter. I think it may be owned currently by John Hildebrand and it is currently dark blue with yellow lettering.

The white #11 '69 Camaro at Daytona in 1970 looks to be the Larry Bock/Larry Drover car raced in Trans-Am that year.

The white with red sided Camaro following the red, white & blue Corvette appears to be the John Elliott car raced in Trans-Am
with sponsorship from Preston Hood Chevrolet in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Thanks for the info Jon.  I noticed the "Craig Carter" on the door after I posted the pic but you beat me to the punch.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »
from what robert says, the ex chaparral mo carter camaro was parted out. is the car that runs now as a chaparral camaro in historic trans-am the former sid rust car ? am I correct in assuming that agor car now also vintage raced, is the third ex chaparral car,now orange and running #13 ?  any body give some input ?

mike

If it's the former Sid Rust Chaparral, then it's also the former Marshall Robbins Trans Am Camaro...  Same car...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
I was thinking Mark Waco got one of Jim Hall's Chaparral Camaros. Am I wrong about that?
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
David Tom (Historic Trans-Am Registry) raced one of the Chapparal camaros in vintage several years ago.  He would probably know the story about these cars.

Robert Barg

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »

Cuda48,
Why so negative.  What the hell did I do to you.  I have the searching talent.  I am an archivist/historian.  I know how to research.  I do things like this all the time.  I was searching for info on another subject when I came across these images and thought that people might be interested in them here.  I don't have all the answers and I'm sure you don't either.  Bringing things up and asking questions of others is how information is shared.  If this is the way I'm going to be treated then I'll think twice the next time I come across something relevent, or maybe I should check with you first to see if its ok to post something.  I don't need to deal with this kind of treatment for just trying to participate in this forum. 
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
smkz28

thanks for those shots of camaros at daytona. didn't mean to sidetrack the thread into chaparral camaros, but there is a link to "mo" carter.  the chaparral team is my passion. post #11 of the yunick camaro is interesting in that in the top left corner you can just see jim hall. one doesn't see too many pictures of this car at daytona & sebring. I read somewhere that hall did do a couple of laps in the car.

mike

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
SMK..  you can satisfy some of the people.. some of the time..  but it's impossible to satisfy everyone all the time.  Personally, I enjoy seeing the photos even if I don't know the driver/race/etc..  :)
Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
SMK..  you can satisfy some of the people.. some of the time..  but it's impossible to satisfy everyone all the time.  Personally, I enjoy seeing the photos even if I don't know the driver/race/etc..  :)
Gary

Thanks Gary, that's the feeling I've gotten from 99% of the responders to my other posts/threads.  Even though I was pissed yesterday when I posted my response, I'm not going to let one bad apple spoil the bunch so to speak.  If the attitude that was expressed to me earlier in this thread was shared by everyone then not a single bit of new information would have ever been posted on this website.  One person would have to do all the research on a particular subject and no one else would be able to comment on that subject because they would not have the knowledge on that subject since they didn't do the work.  I find that to be such a stupid notion on a web site that prides itself on finding and sharing new information.  I'm glad to see that not everyone feels that way. 

Scott
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
smkz28

thanks for those shots of camaros at daytona. didn't mean to sidetrack the thread into chaparral camaros, but there is a link to "mo" carter.  the chaparral team is my passion. post #11 of the yunick camaro is interesting in that in the top left corner you can just see jim hall. one doesn't see too many pictures of this car at daytona & sebring. I read somewhere that hall did do a couple of laps in the car.

mike

No problem Mike.  I love the Chaparral Camaro but I also love the other cars Hall built.  Several years ago Jim Hall and his cars were the featured guest/marque at the vintage races up at Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.  A few of his sports racers and can am cars did a few flying laps around the track by themselves.  I think this was one of the first times in years that they had been taken out of his museum and driven.  It was retty cool!

As for the Yunick Camaro pictures, this is why I posted this stuff.  I don't remember ever seeing these pictures either and thought others would be interested.  I believe you are correct that he did do a few laps in the car to test before it was denied by the race officials.  I'll look for the thread that deals with this car and add these pics there.

I'll check out the Mo Carter thread for more info on that car.

Scott
Scott

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
from what robert says, the ex chaparral mo carter camaro was parted out. is the car that runs now as a chaparral camaro in historic trans-am the former sid rust car ? am I correct in assuming that agor car now also vintage raced, is the third ex chaparral car,now orange and running #13 ?  any body give some input ?

mike

If it's the former Sid Rust Chaparral, then it's also the former Marshall Robbins Trans Am Camaro...  Same car...

Sid Rust at the 1974 SCCA Runoffs in his ex Chaparral/ex Marshall Robbins Camaro...

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »
s a dunbar
   wow ! thanks for that shot of sid rust in the ex chaparral camaro. it's the best one i've seen so far, other than some distant shots of the field at the runoffs in 1974.

mike