Author Topic: Floor pans  (Read 4351 times)

GI JOE

• View Profile
Floor pans
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Anyone have experience with who has the best full after market floor pan? 

I was looking at Steve's Camaro's Floor pan made by Dyna-core and it has the brackets and appears to look correct...

www.shop.stevescamaroparts.com/67-69-Complete-one-piece-floor-pan-assembly-020765.htm

Matts has this one:

http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d45.html

any advice anyone can provide is as always much appreciated by this old guy...LOL
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Floor pans
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
My Advice: Keep as much original metal as possible and patch the floor holes where even you can.  It just works out better that way.  Stronger and keeps its shape better that way. JMO.

-Mark.

GTMeach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
GI JOE, there are 2 different full floor pans available. But companys claim there is only one. The maker will send either style at ramdom. 67 and 68 use different pans. There's lots of little differences but the main one concerns the transmission tunnel. 67's had a lower profile tunnel in the rear, under the seat. a 68/69 floor pan will work, but you'll have to fabricte your rear axle pinion snubber bracket to make it fit. It's a pain and I was upset when I found the differences but it was too late for my 67..Most repro pans shipped are of the 68/69 variety..Unfortunitly, you wont know which one youre getting until it's shipped to you. The best thing to do is to buy it locally so you can make sure it fits your application.

Here's how to tell a 67 from a 68/69 floorpan: Look at the flange at the rearmost part of the pan. (This is the flange that welds to the trunkpan) if this flange goes directly from lerft side to right side without any interruption from the driveline tunnel, it's a 67. If the tunnel seperates the flande in two, it's a 68/69

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
thanks for the advice guys ... I am really trying to save the floor but when I add up all the issues it may be better to replace it.  I too was thinking of going to a local supplier (for time and S&H savings) as well...  I will go there to see it prior to purchasing now that you have made me aware of these differences... thanks guys it means a lot to have good car buddies helping out   ;)

J:OE
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
Re: Floor pans - my progress up date
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
Stingr69

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
My Advice: Keep as much original metal as possible and patch the floor holes where even you can.  It just works out better that way.  Stronger and keeps its shape better that way. JMO.

-Mark.

Mark, I took your advice and only replaced what had to be.. Thank you... GI Joe, Airborne!

68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
 Hi Joe,

Your work looks exactly how I did the rear boards behind the seats in the early 80's on the convertible though there were no floor reproductions yet so I used a clean parts car for the metal.
Knowing the seams would be visible on the outside I used a step-flange on the edges and mig welded the sections together and finished off using lead to fill in the gap. Viewing from the outside doesn't look it was replaced and on the inside the seam sealer works great at covering the welds.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:35:29 AM »
Mike , You are a wise man... that was my intent... hopefully she'll come together as a very nice Camaro... JOe
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

anything