Author Topic: status of permission from GM- regarding CRG shirts and hats  (Read 22048 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: status of permission from GM- regarding CRG shirts and hats
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Your response of "the group" wanting permission first, really doesn't answer this.

Actually, it DOES answer this. Without the official blessing of General Motors (in writing), there's no reason to keep voting on colors, designs, styles, etc...

What if GM comes back and says "no" (which I warn you, they have many, many times before), then what have you accomplished other than getting everyone stirred up? It's like spending all your lottery money before you've won!

All the CRG is asking is that everyone just hang tight until the paperwork is filed and we have a copy of their permission in hand. After all, the "Camaro Research Group" is on the hook for any legal actions GM may take if we don't have their permission, not you guys. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
I'll only add that I think it's great that you guys want and designed the shirts and caps! I want to see this come to fruition.
Don't see me as the roadblock, GM permission is the roadblock. When that is handled, the process can continue.
Kurt S
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
It's a waste of time and energy to design a product using a company's name or logo without their permssion. I'm in the art and design business and would not put pencil to paper to market a product without navigating the proper channels first.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
One of the things that really got this started was the picture of Johns original hat with the "CRG" logo he posted. Did the group get "GM" permission for that? And if so how long did it take? 
Rick
69 RS/Z28

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »
GM , MOPAR and FORD actually have employees that check shows , internet , mags etc. to see who is infringing on their LOGO / Copyright infringement.MOPAR is probably the one that inforces it the most.Carlisle is a haven for checking anyone that's not recieved permission for uasge.They can't stop everyone but when you get a letter have some $$$ available.They (law inforcement) have actually shut down some vendors and had all their merchandise confiscated.Being there's some GM management on this site better go the right route than get the slap on the wrist.I'm sure if it was up to them they wouldn't care.Using CRG isn't the problem it's using camaro or chevrolet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:47:44 AM by RUNUTZ »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
From conversations I have had, the application has been filed, and I expect that response from GM will take around a month at best, but could take longer. GM may grant or deny the request. I know this is frustrating, but I think the best thing we can do for now is to await the response from GM. The ball is rolling, I would like to see it stay on track.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
One of the things that really got this started was the picture of Johns original hat with the "CRG" logo he posted. Did the group get "GM" permission for that?

Rick, those hats were made many years ago by a neighboor of Rich's and he only made 9 or 10 of them. None of them were for resale (they were all gifts), so licensing wasn't an issue.

Ed

DjD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

I don't participate here very much but this spilled over on to Team Camaro and got my attention.  As the president of Camaros Limited Nor~Cal which has been in existence since 1981.  The club has always had shirts and other swag printed up for it's members.  At one time we went to an online printing store in an effort to get the swag to the membership in a more on demand fashion!  Bad move, it worked great but GM lawyers had been trying to shut down the online store for a long time and when they saw our club logo demanded they shut down our site.  

What transpired next was months of dealing with the GM legal team who assured us GM and Chevrolet were not going after a small group of some of GM more dedicated and loyal customer base and supporters but we were a casualty of their fight against a larger foe!  After a long running process of filling out the forms, waiting for approvals, providing further information, finding out about GM's intellectual property, learning about the ins and outs of getting a corporate license to be allowed limited use of said intellectual property the club was finally allowed conditional permission.  

That started the next round, we couldn't just go print stuff.  Each item of art had to be reviewed and approved, a statement of use or condition of use had to be approved as well.  Then we had to state what swag the art (GMs intellectual property) they would not accept a list saying: "Hats, Shirts, etc."  ETC was too vague and if you wanted pens and hats and shirts and business cards and and and ...  Well each item had to be spelled out.  This took months and months before we were given a conditional ok to start printing!  

Swag is really cool and most clubs and online forums do it without realizing what is at risk to the organization.  GM has a corporate shark that swims the waters of the internet and will issue a cease an desist order and then they will start feeding on you like a wounded sea lion.  They don't care if you are a small time Charlie making a shirt for your own personal use they will treat you just like a big corporation wanting to license and make money off the GM brand and it's intellectual property!!  

The best thing the membership here can do is honor the administrations wishes and back off until it's the right time to proceed...

Thanks for taking the time to read my .02!  

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
 Worse comes to worse and there is no approval (which I highly doubt) I'll get mine made locally and give them to me as gifts  ;)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.  

CRG crew take note:
......      when they saw our club logo demanded they shut down our site.  ..................
The best thing the membership here can do is honor the administrations wishes and back off until it's the right time to proceed...

Thanks for taking the time to read my .02!  

tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I'm new to the Forum relatively, but I'm proud to be here like everyone else. And I will be just as proud to sport logo apparel whenever we can garner the approvals from Equity Management/GM (whom I have dealt with before, years ago).

Without raising too much ire, an alternative solution might be to skirt the copyright issue - don't use Camaro in the scripts. "camaros" (as GM labeled it when explaining the Camaro nameplate on inception years ago), was an obscure/archaic French term translated as "comrades" or "friends" if I remember correctly - asking the legal guys viewing this forum - does not using the formal nameplate fit the letter of the law concerning copyrights ? If so, then use the following crude adaptation of the logo also, instead of spelling out the Camaro Research Group. Or is this too simple ?

Just my two cents. After keeping up with this for a couple of weeks, blood pressures and adrenalines are getting out of hand - please remember that this is a hobby, not a life threatening vocation -

Many regards (and don't hold this thought against me !),
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »
I agree with with DjD, but there isn't any trademark infringement or harm done by doing a poll. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a legal team to figure that out. The crime is when an actual batch of shirts gets made with out permission.
I have no problem with waiting the month or 2 until permission is granted,to continue. I just don't get the idea that were playing with fire by conducting a poll of what our members may want is all.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 04:25:33 AM »
thanks for your idea Steve, IMO I would rather wait for permission and actually have the website "Camaros.org" and " Camaro Research Group" on the shirts to direct people to the website. But I like your direct approach =)

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 07:12:18 AM »
It's been awhile since I have heard anything, I don't expect we have permission yet, but I am curious if there is any status or feed back on the application.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
its been almost 4 weeks, according to GM-EMI it usually takes about 4 weeks to hear back, but she said because of the holidays she said it would probably be closer to 6. We should have a update in about 2 weeks. Glad to see the interest, I am patiently waiting as well.
Happy new year fellas !

anything