Author Topic: Door weatherstrip  (Read 15882 times)

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Door weatherstrip
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »
Hey guys. I'm putting new weatherstripping on the doors of my '68 and have run into a problem: The doors won't shut. I'm using Soff Seal products and they seem to be about 1" too long and too thick at the front of the door where it meets the roofrail weatherstrip. It looks as if I'll have to cut the rubber to fit and drill new holes for the plastic retaining pins. These are new aftermarket Goodmark doors which have been just a nightmare in every respect to work with. Hardly anything has lined up or been in the right place and I'm wondering if the doors may be at fault with the weatherstrip as well. Has anyone else run into this problem with either Goodmark doors or Soff Seal weatherstrip? I'd appreciate any input or advice. Thanks.

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

z28rich

• View Profile
Re: Door weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »
check into the latex seals ;D

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
I used the latex weatherstrips on my 67 from Jim at heartbeat city. They are perfect!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »
 Perfect timing with this thread. I was going to reach out too to CRG about this very subject and was wondering about how latex would work. I have the repo strips frmo the 80's and they are much harder rubber and I need to slam (trunk & doors) to get anything to close.
I'll try the latex now that I removed the repos during this recent restoration.

Thanks for the input.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »
These are new aftermarket Goodmark doors which have been just a nightmare in every respect to work with. Hardly anything has lined up or been in the right place and I'm wondering if the doors may be at fault with the weatherstrip as well. Has anyone else run into this problem with either Goodmark doors or Soff Seal weatherstrip?
I'm redoing a 67 that was delivered with all Goodmark metal and it's all junk. The shop had a fancy website, is a Goodmark distributor and they butchered the job. The doors are a joke. Besides the wstrip, your shells may be off. Check shell to pinchweld clearance. Metro trunk seals are bad too, I'm checking on another maker.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »
I used the Metro Super Soft latex and couldn't be more happy. They were stiff for a day or so but we backed the car out and let the sun get to them for a couple days and they're perfect now. Just enough resistance but never a slam any more.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
Doing searches will supply loads of conversations on weatherstripping and SoftSeal in many cases just DONT work. As stated its too hard and its just nothing like the original GM door w/s. Some people/shops have even trimmed it to assist with panel to panel fit up. Tedious for sure....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »
  I also used Metro Super Soft latex, and am very happy.  However, I have them on original doors, Pass. side Door had a couple minor repairs on the corners,  Driver side is "re-skinned" but has the original inner frame.  All holes for Weatherstrip "pegs" lined up good.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:09 AM »
Third vote for Metro Super Soft Seals.
You can buy a kit which has the left and right doors, door opening and a boot seal. I would recommend dooing the doors and the door openings at the same time.
reasonable price as well.
One thing I did do was spray them with WURTH Rubber Care, it helps soften the rubber a little.
Metro do recommend using a specific sealant/adhesive to make sure they dont move once installed.
Good luck

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:37:07 AM »
Since I have also been considering a weatherstrip redo next Spring - my take from this thread is that the Softseal stuff is too bulky/hard regardless of whether your doors are or do fit as original..
What I'm hearing also is that the Metro ones are best of all, the Super Soft Latex stuff the type to strive for - true NOS being the only better choice if cost and availability is no object (which it is for me)..
My doors and bits are completely original except for having been off for repainting in 1980 and this year I noticed that I hear a lot more road noise than ever before, while even the slightest pressure will close them now - so that tells me that my 30+ year old versions are not getting it done anymore..
Is the Metro stuff as flogged by Summit (as an example) the same as what you might get right from Metro or are there differences depending where it is sourced? There seems to be quite a range of pricing from what I see for apparently identical items and/or kits depending on the retailer, and dealing with a Summit or similarly large retailer usually seems to bring a better deal to us here North or the border after customs, shipping, and brokerage costs all get factored in..
I did use a Softseal trunk seal a couple of years back and it was initially quite stiff until I sat the car out in the sun with the lid shut a few times and now closes and works great - but again, original sheetmetal and fit maybe somewhat at work here..
Are the pieces the windows seal against when rolled up, durable and OK from Metro in the latex material, or would they be preferable and longer lasting in a denser material like a Softseal product might provide, considering the abrasion and force they get subjected to?
I only wish to do this once and as hassle-free as possible, so the more info I can get to help me choose the best options the better..
Thanks - Randy     

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
I used the Metro latex on my 68 and they worked great.  Doors and trunk metal are factory original. 

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
It took about one year after installing the weatherstipping before my doors closed properly.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
Randy all my metal is original so I don't think that will come into play on the fit or function. The only "problem" I had was at the front of the window seal when rolled up. It was just on the left side but it was from being packaged wrong with a twist on the end and it would catch on the window and roll out. I had to take a paint paddle and clamp it flat for a day or two to get it straight so it would lay down flat. The right side fits perfect and good seal.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »
What material did the factory use being the doors/trunk close normally?   ???

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
If you want to accelerate the compression of the door wstrips, ratchet strap the doors tighter. Obviously after removing the strikers. I'm presently doing this to Metro SS with AMD quarters and Gmark doors. The doors may end up in the scrap pile. Years ago I used Soffseal and the doors were combative upon closing but eventually they shut with the touch of a finger. Not very good looking molds however. The metro SS trunk seal has been over compressed for two weeks and still is not low enough and I trimmed the bottom off. Besides the hard material, it's design is poor. After considerable time, it did  compress on the last job and that was GM metal. But it had to be done in increments.