Author Topic: 1968 Camaro Dashy Pad Installation  (Read 13686 times)

viking

• View Profile
1968 Camaro Dashy Pad Installation
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:33:38 PM »
I am in the process of installing a new dash pad in my 1968 Camaro. The vehicle has the  deluxe interior with the  chrome piece on the dash pad. The interior (seats) have been removed to replace the carpet and dash pad. The new dash pad is from  Classic Industries.  Previous to starting the removal of the old dash pad and the installation of the new one I am looking for any information to assist  me  so as not to run into any unforeseen challanges. I understand that replacing the chrone tirim on a replacement dash pad is subject to problems. Any information regarding any opart of the removal and installation would be helpful. 

sebastien

• View Profile
Re: 1968 Camaro Dashy Pad Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:16:57 AM »
It is easy to transfer the chrome molding to the new one.It is held in place by tab that you bend to secure it in place.Before you replace it,can you restore the old one?I find the quality of the repros no where near the original ones.
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

zzmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »
It is easy to transfer the chrome molding to the new one.It is held in place by tab that you bend to secure it in place.Before you replace it,can you restore the old one?I find the quality of the repros no where near the original ones.

I agree.  If you still have your original, send it to Trendsetters Upholstery in Katy, Texas.  You'll have an original recovered dash with no fitment problems for less than what the repro dash cover costed you.  I found out about them and they do phenomenal work.  The OER dash pad I got from Classic was a piece of doo doo.

Hope this helps,

ZZMike
1968 Crossram Z/28 Camaro

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:12:28 AM »
Hey ZZMike, with regard to the Trendsetters re-cover, how good a match is the grain/texture to the original, or is it exact?
Do they heat shape it [or by whatever means] to keep the original look?
How much did it cost?
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
You may also want to check out Just Dashes in Van Nuys Calif. They have a website www.justdashes.com with contact info and examples of their work. Never hurts to make a phone call...

zzmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:42:34 PM »
Hey ZZMike, with regard to the Trendsetters re-cover, how good a match is the grain/texture to the original, or is it exact?
Do they heat shape it [or by whatever means] to keep the original look?
How much did it cost?

It was cheap, around a hundred bucks, but that was 5 years ago.  The grain is so close that I can't tell the difference, I am going to take few pictures this weekend and post them.

Cheers,

ZZMike

zzmike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:11 PM »
Sorry for the delay,

Here are a few pics:

zzmike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 08:44:35 PM »
Goodness,

I can't believe how dusty the center console is.  Thanks, Arizona.  Oh well, I hope you get the idea.