Author Topic: Installing air conditioning in non A/C 68 model  (Read 6605 times)

Alarmed

• View Profile
Installing air conditioning in non A/C 68 model
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
I am currently in the middle of restoring my 68 SS that I have owned since the late 80's. It was originally a 325/396 & 4 speed car, but the engine was locked from lack of oil, so a 71 model LT1 350 we had sitting there went in its place along with the TH350. Flash forward 2 kids, a mortgage, & starting a business later & the car was parked in 1995 when the transmission gave up the ghost. Over the last year I have been disassembling it & gather parts. The original engine & transmission are long gone, as is the hood, sold to a buddy for 50 bucks so I could by a cowl hood back in the day.

Since it will never be a numbers matching car, I have decided to go the route of trying to make it look as original as possible with subtle upgrades for drivability such as adding disc brakes to the rear, tubular control arms, 15" rallyes instead of the 14's, etc. Once of the biggest things though is I want to add air conditioning because I plan on actually driving the car & I have become too old & fat to be uncomfortable.

I know there are probably people here who have done this, and I am sure it has been discussed, but my search turned up empty. I am looking for any & all advice that is available for this upgrade, any particular vendors I should use or avoid, modifications needed, that sort of thing. I have acquired a period correct engine, although it is from a 68 Chevelle, that I plan on gently massaging so that will be a factor also.

DD Grotto Blue paint
717 standard blue interior   

Alarmed

• View Profile
Re: Installing air conditioning in non A/C 68 model
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
This would be summer of 87 after getting it going with the small block.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »
Once of the biggest things though is I want to add air conditioning because I plan on actually driving the car & I have become too old & fat to be uncomfortable.

I know there are probably people here who have done this, and I am sure it has been discussed, but my search turned up empty. I am looking for any & all advice that is available for this upgrade, any particular vendors I should use or avoid, modifications needed, that sort of thing.

Lots of guys have installed Vintage Air systems to accomplish just what you're after; if no one responds here, there should be plenty of information on Vintage Air installations at Team Camaro (www.camaros.net).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
I've installed 3 Vintage Air Systems, 2 on 1st Gen Camaros and 1 on a 66 Chevelle, and they work excellent. I did use the March Serp pulley system on all 3. On all there cars, I ran everything behind the fender, makes for a very clean look.

Give Frank a call at Prodigy Customs; he can help with the details for the install, he has several tips and tricks, and excellent prices and customer service.
http://www.prodigycustoms.com/

Alarmed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »
Thanks, just what I was looking for!

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
Stuck a Vintage Air Gen IV in my 68 350.  Had some of the work done.  But if you are real handy & have the time, you can install it yourself.  Real pleased with it's performance.  Blows cold.  You may have to upgrade your cooling system, depending on what you have now.

anything