Author Topic: Diff Question: What is the maximum gap between TT & Diff stamp date  (Read 4615 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
1969 Camaro big block SS, 10C car. Diff is 06-12.What could be the earliest stamp on the diff that would be correct for the car. How many months could the diff stamp be off of the build date of the car. There is a casting date on the diff as well. When was the diff stamped during assembly? Trying to find out if a 6 month gap between the trim tag and the stamp on the diff is too much.

Thanks
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Diff Question: What is the maximum gap between TT & Diff stamp date
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:27:16 AM »
10C of which year, early or late car? What's the cast date?
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »
10C of which year, early or late car? What's the cast date?

10C of 68, diff casting is E 288, but the stamp on the diff is BU 06 12 1 E

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »
The axle was built for '68 production and is not original to the car. '69 axles had some slight differences.
Learning more and more about less and less...

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 05:01:45 AM »
Thanks William. When was the cut off? This is my axel and a guy with the 10C car is wondering if my axel is correct for his car.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
The cutoff date would come from the respective planners at each assembly plant. '68s were still in production when that axle was assembled. No one wants to be stuck with obsolete inventory at the end of a model year so they monitored orders in the system as of the '68 order close and communicated their respective needs to the axle plant. When '68 MY axle assembly shut down the changes needed for '69 were made to the tooling; left-over '68 parts were removed from the assembly area. I don't have my data handy but the first '69 axles were probably ready early August.

I pointed out elsewhere that the body tag date is not the assembly date of the car. For that matter neither is the 'PROD' date on broadcast sheets-that's when they printed. Final assembly was 3-4 days after body fab began and may have spanned a weekend.  I have a 10C car in my db with a October 15 axle. Norwood was close to the gear & axle plant and could easily get axles in a couple days if need be. Van Nuys is about 2200 miles from Detroit and kept more component inventory. Their stuff tends to have wider date variation.

Learning more and more about less and less...

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
Thanks William. That would indicate that my diff would not work in this guys car.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro