Author Topic: Electrical Drain  (Read 5647 times)

1sweet67

• View Profile
Electrical Drain
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
I just put in a brand new battery about  two weeks ago and it's already dead!  :o
So apparently, I have a huge power draw, sucking the life out of my poor battery.
How do I learn more about Camaro electrical wiring?
Does anyone have any idea on how to trouble shoot where the draw is coming from and how to correct it?
Electrical is not my expertise.
Thank you!

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
Re: Electrical Drain
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
Easiest way to learn the system is in the AIM  Assembly Instruction Manual ...it has complete wiring diagrams.
 In the mean time.. buy a 12v light stick at local parts house.. unclamp NEG battery cable, clamp the wire end of the light stick to the cable and 'stick' the pointy sharp end into the battery terminal. (or clamp it with vise grips) Im guessing it lights up right away if you have a drain.  Now start pulling fuses from your fuse box under the dash, one at a time, peek up to the light stick and see if its still lighted up... if so, replace that fuse and pull another one... keep going till you find a fuse that turns off the light stick... presto there is your open circuit, then using the AIM diagrams, back track the wire to its various end uses till you find a frayed wire or crimp or direct short and fix it. 

Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

1sweet67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
That sounds easy enough! Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it goes.  ;D

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
Easiest way to learn the system is in the AIM  Assembly Instruction Manual ...it has complete wiring diagrams.
 In the mean time.. buy a 12v light stick at local parts house.. unclamp NEG battery cable, clamp the wire end of the light stick to the cable and 'stick' the pointy sharp end into the battery terminal. (or clamp it with vise grips) Im guessing it lights up right away if you have a drain.  Now start pulling fuses from your fuse box under the dash, one at a time, peek up to the light stick and see if its still lighted up... if so, replace that fuse and pull another one... keep going till you find a fuse that turns off the light stick... presto there is your open circuit, then using the AIM diagrams, back track the wire to its various end uses till you find a frayed wire or crimp or direct short and fix it. 

I agree. Use the light bridge to close the circut between the neg. battery post and the disconnected neg. cable. If the light comes on you have what is called a key on drain. Then start pulling fuses until the light goes out and you found the circut that is causing the problem to fix. Also check to make sure your grounds are not corroded or loose. These can cause problems too.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
Check the usual suspects first...trunk light or glovebox lights that are on all the time, domelight switched on or door ajar. If you have an aftermarket radio or clock.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:59:11 AM »
I use a warning buzzer raided from an old car before it went to the crusher, instead of a light. Wired it up with a pair of alligator clips.  Same concept but I can listen, instead of looking. Saves some time when your head is under the dash, in the trunk, etc.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything