Author Topic: cruise master-air filter  (Read 20513 times)

mr396

• View Profile
    • 1968 camaro SS 396 RS convertible
cruise master-air filter
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »
I was looking through my may 1968 third quarter owners manual (top picture)and it says to replace the cruise master-air filter.It has a check mark so I must have one.What is a cruise master-air filter? and why isn't it in a aug 1967 1st quarter manual(bottom picture)                                                                                                                         

1968 camaro RS/SS L34 396 air convertible

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Re: cruise master-air filter
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »
Perhaps there was no filter to change on the 67 model.  There's no mention of a filter (or a a solenoid) in the AIM.

mr396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:59 AM »
The aug 67 manual is for 1968,the cruise master-air filter must have been added later in the year.the third quarter manual has torq drive and the first quarter dosn't mention it.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
That's an error in the manual - the vacuum-operated cruise control was never a factory option on the Camaro, but was available on many other Chevrolet car lines; that's why the reference was removed from later editions of the manual.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mr396

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
Chevrolet made errors? ;D Thanks John.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »
I know I'm late on this one but for future posters looking ofr info...
I have a vacuum actuated Cruise Control system on a 1968 Camaro SS. I cam across this thread because I was looking for a new filter.

This system was not only installed by the Factory (not the Dealer) it is documented in the Option Codes that were factory installed on the car. There is an option code for 68 models that had this installed. It is very rare with only .1% of shipped cars having it installed. If I remember right there were a total of 327 assembled at the factory. There was also a dealer installed version that woud not show on the vehicle option codes on the Vehicle. The GM installed vacuum actuated Cruise Control has a filter housed inside a metal container as part of the controller. This was mounted to the inner fender well of the Drivers side under the hood in mid year 68 Camaros. GM installed a Cruise Control switch with a special turn signal knob on the steering Column. This switch housing was prone to failure due to fatigue. The rib structure on the original deisgn was too short and caused breakage over time. The original housing was made from ABS (Acrylic Butile Styrene) and was one of the early plastics that could successfully be Chrome Plated in manufacturing. It was overused in some circumstances. The arm was Stainless and the last 2.5" or so was ABS. They typically broke in 1/2. GM supplied a new design replacement which was not Chrome PLated. It was Black and was an original GM replacemnet part.

If you car has Cruise an dit appears in the options tag, I would leave it. You can always unhook the vacuum line. This option is very rare.

Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »
This system was not only installed by the Factory (not the Dealer) it is documented in the Option Codes that were factory installed on the car. There is an option code for 68 models that had this installed. It is very rare with only .1% of shipped cars having it installed.

That's correct - I must have mis-read the original post back then and thought he was talking about a '69, not a '68; Cruise Control (K30) was available in '67-'68, but not in '69.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
No problem. I figured I would just post what I do know about it but could not remember the Option Code. K30.

If any one comes across a supply of filters for the system please post it here. I am definitely in need of one. I would think it would be the same filter as installed in systems in other models manufactured by GM at the time but do not know this for sure.

Does anyone know of any 68 models that also used a vacuum actuated cruise contol? Perhaps another model had a higher production run with this option.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
According to the P&A, the "Element, Filter" (Group 3.887) was used on the 67-68 Camaro and Chevelle, and was P/N 6465372. It may have also been the same for the full size cars and even other GM divisions. I can't say for sure since my book doesn't list these. However, a quick Google search shows it was also used on the 1968 BUICK under Group 3.885.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:02:57 PM by bertfam »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
Oregonjam.
What's your build date?
How about posting us a picture of the unit?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
K30 Cruise Control Option example
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the interest. For those of you curious, I am uploading some pix of the Vacuum Cruise Control System in a 1968 Camaro.

I am currently in the process of reinstalling the original motor so have part of the system removed. In order to remove the engine with out damage to the valve cover or Cruise system, the throttle linkage and actuator must be removed from the firewall. There is an interference when lifting out of the drivers side engine mount. This portion of the system is photographed on my work bench. There is also a special clip that attaches a chain to the throttle.

The controller for the Cruise system is located on the Drivers side inner Fender (Pictured). The filter in question is located in the small rectangular compartment to the front of the car, under the controller assembly. Some vacuum lines are currently removed as well.

This is on an end of production year 1968 Camaro SS Turbofire 350
Built in July (07) 1968 at the NOR Facility
using Body # 181518
711 Interior trim - Deluxe Parchment Buckets
Option Codes of most interest on this example are L48 (SS-350), K30 (Cruise Control), C60 (Air Conditioning), A02 (Soft Tint Windshield),

Hopefully I remembered all the codes correctly.

I can upload pics of the complete system installed when the project is complete for those interested.

Let me know if any one has any questions.

Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
John,
I too am searching for a filter for my 67 K30. I am in the process of restoring the c/c componets and appreciate the pictures you supplied.
What color wires go to the controller?
What did you clean the controller with?
Pictures of other componets would be greatly appreciated.
Bob C

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
k30 Camaro cruise control system
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
Bob,

Great to hear from you.
I have looked online for information on this system extensively and find nothing. Goes to show the effort it takes for rarities.
I assume you are not associated with the other earlier post by Mr396. If not that would make 3 people that atleast had this system installed at one point. I sent him an email directly to see if he ever came up with any thing else in his searching but I never heard back.

The System I have is stock and appearred to never have been taken out with the exception of the throttle linkage Diaphram which must have been removed for engine mount work that was done. Most of he vacuum lines were original GM. I need to replace these and believe they are GM white stripes (although they appear yellow now). I have the units complete factory wiring installed and have only rewrapped the harness with new self volcanizing tape.

What pictures would help you the most? I can check the colors of the wires for you. Do you have the harness electrical plug for the system?

Here are a couple of questions for you:
Do you have the throttle linkage? I have a ball chain attached to the diaghram but am missing the key info to how it attached to the throttle linkage

I need to reference the assembly manual to see what is in there again to confrim vacuum line runs.

I need to know how the lines were run. (between inner and outer fender to fire wall or in engine bay, and what route did they go to avoid the throttle)

Feel free to shoot me an email direct and we can post the important stuff on here.
Oregonjam@yahoo.com

Let me know what you need.
Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
I came across another Camaro with Cruise Control.

This one is on display at Ricks First Generation in Athens, Georgia.
One pic is of the clip that attaches to the throttle. It is not the best photo but the only one I have seen.

-John
68 07D SS350
John

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
Hey Bob,

I spoke to Ricks again today for an order. They confirmed that the camaro pictured above is a 1967 model.
It is also a car that all possible factory options were added to by buying vehicles with those options and installing them on one car. They belive the routing of the vacuum lines etc to be correct.

Cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John