Author Topic: 68 Z28 Front Coil Springs, Which ones?  (Read 9128 times)

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
68 Z28 Front Coil Springs, Which ones?
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
I've searched  this forum and TC and haven't found a consensus on the best replacement coil springs to use for a 68 Z28. I decided to replace my original 4 leafs with ones from Bob, at Camaro Specialties; he has a set of coils, but they seem to be a one size fits all.  Any opinion's or experience on which coil spring give the best ride height (factory look)?

I've seen a few post that the ones Jim at HBC are selling are too high?

Thanks,

Paul

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: 68 Z28 Front Coil Springs, Which ones?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
I've seen some chatter about Eaton springs as they were the people who made them originally but I don't know where they are or how to contact them. Maybe someone will chime in...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
That's what I'm hoping. There are enough small block owners on here, that we should be able to come up with a consistant opinion one which ones do the best job, at providing the factory looking ride height.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
EATON SPRING WASN'T the original manufacturer. I used to think the same thing then John straightened me out! The original manufacturer was the EATON CORPORATION. Eaton Spring is a family owned business that just happens to share the same name.

While Eaton Spring supposedly has the blueprints of various automotive spring applications, I don't know if their front coil springs are "technically correct". The rear leaf springs I got from them were NOT "Technically correct" and I ended up sending them back and getting the correct springs from Bob Harris at Camaro Specialties. You can see the differences in the rear's HERE.

Ed

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
Thanks Ed.

It was yours and Chick's posts that helped me go with springs from Bob.

According to Bob his "look and sit right", however, it sounds like, one size fits all for the small blocks. I know HBC and Rick's sell springs based on application/weight added, but I'd like to know if it's worth the difference in price and do they work as advertised.  My leaf springs won't ship from Bob's for a couple of days, so I still have time to order the coils from him, if needed.

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
Paul, the current CLASSIC INDUSTRIES catalog (C211C) also shows a multitude of front coil springs (page 524) with the 68Z being part number C257. They state "correct reproduction" and they're "manufactured to original GM blueprint specifications", but I haven't seen them or heard anything about them. It wouldn't surprise me if they got them from Eaton Spring (not Eaton Corp), but there's no way to tell. Even if you called them up, they probably wouldn't tell you when they came from.

Unless you get some hard and fast answers, you may have to be the guinea pig here!

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
Thanks Ed.

It was yours and Chick's posts that helped me go with springs from Bob.

According to Bob his "look and sit right", however, it sounds like, one size fits all for the small blocks. I know HBC and Rick's sell springs based on application/weight added, but I'd like to know if it's worth the difference in price and do they work as advertised.  My leaf springs won't ship from Bob's for a couple of days, so I still have time to order the coils from him, if needed.

Paul

Wish I could help you Paul but I used my original front coil springs and sold the NOS service replacement coils purchased in 1979. And I have not read or have any info that could assist.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »
Chick,

My car had basically sat for 25 years with the weight on the wheels, so the original springs were toast.

Ed,

I've been looking at Classic, HBC, and Rick's; they basically list the same info/spec's, might all be the same manufacturer.  Whenever I see the terms; Factory Correct or made to GM Specs, in regards to repo items, my skin crawls. :-\

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »
Whenever I see the terms; Factory Correct or made to GM Specs, in regards to repo items, my skin crawls.

I know how you feel. It seems that EVERY part reproduced is "factory correct"!! Even the crap that looks absolutely NOTHING like the original!!!

Ed

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
LOL

I'll probably go with the ones the are built to GM Specs.  What sucks is, I'm still a long way off from install. I'm trying to get everything laid out, ready, and cataloged before I start on the body. I like having all the items ready to go for the final assembly, always hated tracking down those last pacing items.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
Whenever I see the terms; Factory Correct or made to GM Specs, in regards to repo items, my skin crawls.

I know how you feel. It seems that EVERY part reproduced is "factory correct"!! Even the crap that looks absolutely NOTHING like the original!!!

Ed

I coudn't agree more. I spent about two months researching front springs for my X66.  The info was ALL over the place.  Eaton in my opinion was no help really. The more guys you talk to, the less you know it seemed LOL.  HBC did appear to be the best choice however.  In the end I went with Moog.  Had the springs powdercoated the correct color, and I was done with it.  I just gave up at that point.
Donny

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »
My car sat forever add coils shot. I called hbc on the ones just for a z. They said they had some problems that sounded like some springs were not working on the car they were for. So they were not selling them.  Checked other places for the same sounding this is a z spec spring, no one had them. Hbc said get the one they have for all small blocks without air and I did, they are in a moog box. Didn't put them in yet
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

anything