Author Topic: Firewall Pad-Molded or Not  (Read 9346 times)

Mac B

• View Profile
Firewall Pad-Molded or Not
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »
I am going to install in new firewall pad in my 69.  There are two types on the market with very different prices.  Molded-very expensive and non-molded, reasonably priced.  Which of these will comply with concours standards and which is easier to install?  Thanks for your help.

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Firewall Pad-Molded or Not
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
As it goes the more expensive is better. Neither is easy to install.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
I purchased the expensive one from Rick's and ended-up returning it as it was not really close to the OE version.   Rick's sources it from a vendor in California (I tried to find the vendor, but can't seem to get a hit).  Anyway, the top is more like a rubber sheet and the insulation is very thick with a silver heat shield impregnated between the rubber and the insulation.  

There are few other posts regarding the pad - someone purchased a molded pad on eBay from Tamraz's on eBay and applied a molded rubber spray thereafter.   Looked very good from the pictures, so that's my plan or attempt to rebuild the original!
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
Here's the post on the Tamraz pad:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9630.0

Thought it was creative and looked pretty good.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
Last post - here's the source for Rick's (and probably Heartbeat City's) pads:  http://www.quietride.com/product-search/default.asp

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
Thanks Hans, It is a hassle.  I am in the middle of removing the heater box.  I have decided to use the cheaper but more flexible version in the hope that I can snake it around the front of the console with removing it.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
Thanks Hans, It is a hassle.  I am in the middle of removing the heater box.  I have decided to use the cheaper but more flexible version in the hope that I can snake it around the front of the console with removing it.
Mac, when you stated using the cheaper version are you referring to the cheap non-molded pad? If so, you are going to be disappointed as it looks like crap and will regret using it long term. Not sure but would think they would hit you on judging on that one as well.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
If you get the cheap one handle it carefully.  It will rip easily
68Z28

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
Yes, they do rip.  I have the non-molded one now and tore it taking out the driver's side kick panel to repair some wiring.  As is the case with most of these jobs, one thing leads to another so I have both seats, and the console out.  I am currently right in the middle of removing the heater box so I can have complete access to the firewall.  My car just went through Legends and got a score 0f 91.6 percent so I am working on the remaining issues the judges found in the interior.  They did not gig me for my non-molded firewall mat so I am installing the same one.   They did get me for carpet not being cut properly for the seats and another for the firewall pad not being over the carpet.   The heater box appears to be a real fight but I should have it out today.  Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
Love that car of yours Mac..... :) One thing to keep in mind is judging evolves and what was acceptable might not be next year or the following.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
Yeah I know it Chick, but as I understand it they will only judge the things that I have changed in the second year.  Firewall mat will be the same, just placed over the carpet.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
   My car just went through Legends and got a score 0f 91.6 percent so I am working on the remaining issues the judges found in the interior.  They did not gig me for my non-molded firewall mat so I am installing the same one.   They did get me for carpet not being cut properly for the seats and another for the firewall pad not being over the carpet.   The heater box appears to be a real fight but I should have it out today.  Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Mac did you by chance get your score card/sheet with everything marked on it? Does it include the things they checked that were correct as well as incorrect? If so would you be willing to share this information so we could just see what it entails? I've never saw one and have no idea as to what they look like and what is included on the scoring
 sheet. I guess what I'm trying to get at is by seeing your sheet I might be able to get an idea of some of the criteria that is used. As John stated "don't know about Camaro judging - the standard/scoring criteria isn't published." This might help some of us get an idea. Thanks if you can help but if you don't want to put it out in public I will certainly understand.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
Yeah I know it Chick, but as I understand it they will only judge the things that I have changed in the second year.  Firewall mat will be the same, just placed over the carpet.
Got it Mac! I had heard that but was not sure. Reason for stating that was I just found out there were several key changes this year from past years and it was a surprise.   
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »
Yeah Chick, I actually talked to one of the judges on the phone and he said if they missed something and you came back the next year, the miss was their fault and they would not re-judge it.  They only will judge what you have fixed.

anything