Author Topic: Choice for control arm and subframe to body bushings ???  (Read 3957 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Choice for control arm and subframe to body bushings ???
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:32:31 AM »
I am needing to choose my upper and lower control arm bushings and my subframe to body bushings for my '68 coupe. I am going to be using the basic Hotchkis TVS system, using my factory control arms.

I am looking for some compromise of good, solid handling and being able to cruise in relative comfort. I read through a bunch of old posts on this subject and came away being more confused than on the right track. There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions out there. Some of these posts were pretty old so maybe there is better information out there now.

The choices out there seem to be original style rubber, polyurethane, polygraphite, Delrin, (and solid for the subframe to body)

I know the original rubber deflects but some folks said their car handles fine with them.

I hear all the stories about polyurethane squeaking. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR SQUEAKING WHILE I AM DRIVING! But some folks said they have  the polyurethane and haven't heard the first squeak.

I read where polygraphite gives the performance of polyurethane but does not squeak. I looked through every Camaro parts catlog and Jeggs and Summit and never saw a "polygraphite" bushing anywhere.

Some folks thought the Delrin transmitted more noise and vibration while others said they installed them and noticed no difference. Some said because the Delrin allow the control arms to move more freely, they actually allowed the suspension to work better and improve the ride quality.

Some folks liked the Moog rubber bushings. Here is an intersting quote from Moog about their bushings......."Moog bushings are designed to absorb vibration and noise and deliver better handling while providing the performance of urethane without the “squeak” normally associated with it. They are not affected by oils, alkalines, ozone or hydrocarbons; can withstand extreme weather conditions; can carry substantial loads; and will not discolor or crack with age." .......That sounds good and they are  pretty cheap through Rock Auto.

When I was done reading, I wasn't any closer to knowing what to pick than was before I started.

Just wondering if there are any more up to date opinions on what to choose given the kind of ride I am looking for?

Thanks.....Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Choice for control arm and subframe to body bushings ???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
Dave, did you try searches over on Team Camaro. There is far more activity over there concerning mods for touring cars and resto mods.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
Yes I did...... That is where I got all of the different opinions.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
Unless you are driving the car at the limits I think you will do fine with the Moog rubber parts. A good swaybar, shocks etc works wonders. Talk to the guys at Hotchkiss. I would not use solid body mounts on anything but a straight race car.

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
Subframe body mount bushings - solid aluminum is the way to go if you're ever planning to install subframe connectors, otherwise poly is just fine.

Control arm bushings - I've installed polygraphite and had NO squeeking after 5 years or so. Installation is key; they must be lubed liberally before being installed.

Polygraphite bushings can be found at http://www.p-s-t.com/Products
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)