Author Topic: Caswell Cadmium?  (Read 7058 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Caswell Cadmium?
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:55:15 AM »
Okay, so it may not be exactly Camaro related, but it will be used for my Camaro.  Has anyone had any experience with the Caswell Cadmium plating kit.  The kit does zinc and something they call "copycad", which they state is exactly like cadmium, but without the cyanide.  I was told that you can not tell the difference between real cadmium and their copycad.  After shopping around to get just a few brackets done, it was going to cost quite a bit, so I am looking into buying the plating kit instead.  Depending on the chromate chemical added to the mixture, you can get the nice brite yellow cadmium like on the brake booster or the olive drab cadmium on a factory carburetor.

I have Eastwoods powder coating kit which has more than paid for itself.  I would like to do the same with this cadmium kit as well, that is, if it does what Caswell says it can.  So, if anyone has used this kit or seen this product or its results, I would love to hear your opinion. 

Also, if I do get this kit and after playing around with it, can turn out a decent and correct looking zinc and cadmium plating, would anyone be interested in having their parts plated at a great price?

Steve     

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Caswell Cadmium?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
Depending on the chromate chemical added to the mixture, you can get the nice brite yellow cadmium like on the brake booster or the olive drab cadmium on a factory carburetor.

The "yellow" appearance on the Delco boosters wasn't cadmium - it was a dichromate wash applied after zinc plating.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16:41 PM »
I googled around for instructions and ended up buying my own supplies (eBay, Home Depot, and McMaster Carr) at less cost to try zinc plating.  I did buy the Caswell brightener to use since I didn't find a similar product elsewhere, however I have not tried plating anything yet, still a few projects/weeks away.  Only thing I question is if my power supply will get the job done as well as their unit.  I was going to use a car battery charger or more likely an old cell phone charger.  As you have seen, they also offer washes to give gold, green etc finishes to the zinc process.  I decided to try plating myself because I'll keep finding more stuff to plate later.  From what I read, most platers have a minimum 50 lb fee which I didn't want to be paying every time I found one more part.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
What are the chemicals y ou bought that are the same as what caswell offers?  If all it is is a few solutions and a bucket for less money, I am all for that.  I just don't know what to buy at this point.  Also, if you are worried about your power supply, here is a unit that looks close to what caswell offers for a much better price.

http://gsmserver.com/shop/equipment/power_supply_device/hy1503d_dc_power_supply_lcd_display_0_15v_0_3a.php

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
No idea if the same chemicals as Caswell uses but:
sodium hydroxide (lye, really nasty stuff) - eBay, soap makers also use this
zinc oxide - eBay  
muriatic acid - Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
distilled water
zinc sacrificial plates - McMaster, probably also eBay, salt water boaters also use these
plus the plastic buckets, copper hang pipe, copper wire to suspend parts, possibly jumper wires

You'd also want those rubber gloves that come up to the elbows, rubber apron, goggles and face shield, vented area.  They say to always pour the agents into the distilled water, never dump the water onto the chemicals.  If your're more comfortable using the Caswell setup, which has its own instructions, you should go that route.  I think Eastwoods also had a kit but it looked cheap.  
That power supply looks good, if my first run is crappy I may look into one.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
Steve, I bought Caswell's kit for plating Zinc plated bolts and other parts. I couldn't be happier with the results. It did take a little time to get my process down but it is quick & easy. It is nice to do small batches of bolts for just one area of my restoration. The yellow cad wash only takes 5 seconds and dries darker than you think depending on the size of the part. Anything big like a booster I send to Steve at Detail Plating for a perfect finish & color. Here is a couple pictures. George

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:56:56 AM »
Have you had the chance to see the carburetor olive gold cadmium?  If this kit can get that color close, I would be thrilled. 

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
I have not tried plating any carbs.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
Hi George,

What is the rating on the power supply?
Has the plating held up fine without shedding or chipping when applying torque and the bolt heads held with a wrench?
Thanks for posting those pictures.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »
Mike, Here is the power supply I use. It puts out a nice clean 5 volts for use on our dyno. "http://www.thorscbradio.com/pyramid-ps-32-lab-12-volt-power-supply.html"    I didn't buy from the link, I think we paid $99.six years ago. The power supply is only rated at 5 amps but works well with a generic 1157 bulb wired in series on the 12 volt power wire. Think I plate zinc at 12 Volts 3 Amps. Plating holds up great, only way I can get it off is re-glass beading part. The longer you plate the thicker the plating. Preping and getting the part clean is key to nice finish. George

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
 Thanks George.

Looks like the Caswell kit is 30% off as a June sale for the 1.5 gallon.
http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits.html

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored