Author Topic: trim tag build month  (Read 8715 times)

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
trim tag build month
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:05 AM »
My vin is 124377L117144 and my build month/week was 11B (1967 Camaro). Would thief have been 1966 or 1967 for the build year? How many overall Camaros were built in 67? Is there anyway to find out the breakout of the cars? I have an rsss, sirrea fawn with beige vinyl top. Tryinhg to fibd out how rare the combo is.
Matt: 1967 RS/SS - L48/Powerglide - Sierra Fawn/Beige Vinyl Top, Charleston, SC

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: trim tag build month
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
This would have been November 1966, the model years began in August and would run to around early July the following year.  Same as it still is today, the model year was generally introduced a few months before the calendar year.  See here under the General Information section: http://camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#ModelYear  That same section contains info on how many built by plant and month http://camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany  Unlike Norwood, the Van Nuys plant also assembled full size passenger models, thus the additional information shown.   

You will want to start by reading the decode sections listed on the main page, especially to decode your Fisher Body trim tag and also see if your drivetrain is original, or if other components are dated correctly for your car.  The RPO (Regular Production Option) codes can be found here  http://camaros.org/pdf/options.pdf  along with availability and totals by year, however they cannot accurately be taken in combinations.  That level of records was not kept.  For example, you can see how many L48 SS were made in a year, and how many cars had A/C, but you cannot determine how many Sierra Fawn L48s had A/C.  Information on paint colors can be found in the Exterior section.  Sierra Fawn code S is estimated to only have been used on about 2% of 67s.        

My car is less than 200 units after yours, also 11B LOS RS/SS.  Once you read up on trim tags, let me know what your LOS body scheduling code is.   I'd also be interested in your block casting date if you still have the original engine.  Welcome to the site.   

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks a million!  My LOS body scheduling code is K008.  Didn't really understand what that told me... the car had the beige vinyl top with gold deluxe interior, black bumble bee stripe.  Console,w/o gauges. 

It does have the original 12-bolt and powerglide.  The original engine was blown in the early 70's but they kept the original chrome valve covers, air cleaner, fill tube, etc...

I bought it from a state congressman in Montana who was personal friends of the 2nd owner who had purchased it in 1969 from the original owner.  It has not been on the road since 1987.

We found an 'MV' coded SS350 (for powerglides and smog) out of northern california with a date stamp of 31 Dec 66, which I have had rebuilt already.  I guess that is pretty close...

I thought that 11B must have been for 1966, but thought that the 117144 out of the VIN was a lot of cars to have been built by then.  I am assuming I will be able to find the VIN on the tranny and rearend too?

How many Camaros were built in 67?

Thanks for the welcome to the site!  I have normally raced these things.  This is my 6th '67 and 8th 1st gen Camaro.  My last one just sold on Barrett-Jackson this past year, after the guy I sold it to, a buddy of my dad's took it to the next level of restoration.  It was a clone RS/SS 4spd car. 

This is my first serious restoration.  Thanks again!

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
Mine is K250, same day.  My original L48 and glide were also blown back in the day, rear is original 3.31 non posi and stamped Oct 31.  After years of looking I found a freshly rebuilt MU a couple years ago, out of the car about 700 units before mine.  The cast date was H6 and assembly stamp around H16, so it must have been pushed to the back of the holding area.  Is your original filler tube chrome?

If you look at those decode sections, it shows where to look for the tranny and axle stamps.  The partial VIN was not stamped on the rear, just the axle plant info.  My glide is out of a 68 and was stamped right along the passenger side flange where it mates to the block right above the bend for the inspection cover.  As you'll read, LOS was also somewhat erratic at stamping so you might not find the partial VIN on the glide, but look closely.  What's the stamp on the pan?

They started with 100001 on the 67 VINs, so your's is 17,144th 67 VIN from LOS. http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
If you have interest in the body number this is good to know about early 67 LOS system http://www.camaros.org/bodynumbering.shtml#67LOS

220,906 in 67, info is found here http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany
If you look at the table below that, you'll see your VIN falls into about the middle of November.  For reasons unknown, the LOS plant in November 66 did not advance the body build date code on the tag beyond 11B.

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »
Mine was also a non-posi, 3:31 Gear, we held onto those gears, but upgraded to a late model 3:73 posi.  The tranny needed to be rebuilt, so I had than completely redone, adding a shift-kit and manual valve body, turning the original torque converter to a 2,500 stall. (it actually had already been converted to a manual valve body sometime ago.  The engine was basically a block and heads that had also been rebuilt at some point in the past.  2.02 valves were put in the heads.  We had triple/angle valve seats cut in and had it bored 30 over.  Taking some liberties to make it a little fun.

The oil filler tube is chrome.

When you asked about the pan, were you talking of the tranny or oil pan?  Does K008 mean that mine was 8th for the day and your was 252nd?

What does H6 and H16 mean? I have a K286 on my engine with what looks to be a 1 centered directly above it, 389265 on it, 12 66,  VI230MV and 7L132252 all stamped in various locations.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
Was asking about the tranny pan if still original.  Should be a stamping on the passenger side, side of the pan, from the transmission plant.  Probably starts with a T or C.

Yes yours would have been the 8th scheduled LOS body unit, regardless of model, on day K (or 11th production day) of the scheduling month.  Scheduling month did not necessarily match up exactly with the calendar month, i.e. day A was not necessarily the actual first day of the month.  You'll run across this in better detail in the Numbers Decode section of the site.  Do you have any factory or dealer documentation for the car?  Back in the day I found Fisher Body inspection cards under the rear seat or carpet, however they are not from my car, must have been tossed under there as trash or mixed up.

By H6 and H16 I was referring to August 6 and 16th or whatever mine actually are.  They would really appear as H66 cast into the block rear and V0816MU stamped on the front pad beside the partial VIN.  Your K286 is cast Nov 28, 1966, assembled on December 30th at Flint.  Use of the 67 chrome filler tube by plant, RPO etc. has been somewhat of an old informal research topic, nice to have another reference point.   

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
Odd. The tranny is C0R08N. Any chance this is a 1960 tranny? Is there a VIN stamp on the tranny somewhere? 1970?

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »
Not sure they had the aluminum case glide as early as 60, more likely 70.  Cleveland plant, 70 model year, Oct 8th night shift?  Or maybe the pan was replace at some point with a used one. See here where it would be partial VIN stamped.  http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#trans

Can be stamped on either side, and it's very difficult to see with the trans in the car.  Probably need an inspection mirror and flashlight, rags and solvent and a little luck.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:26:46 AM »
VI230MV and 7L132252 all stamped in various locations.
That car, 7L132252, still exists, and it's missing it's original engine. Last was in CA. No contact info for it.
Kurt S
CRG

runuts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:51 AM »
I was just reading this thread when something jumped out at me regarding the 11B build week. Either I forgot this or never knew it since I haven't fooled around researching our '67 in a couple of years. I have an 11B LOS car and I was always wondering how the the engine could have been assembled Nov 26, cast Nov 15, the intake Nov 25, alt. Nov 26 and so on. I think I must have dissmissed it since I have the protect-o-plate and everything matches. It all makes sense now that they stopped changing the week after B for the rest of the month. Talk about parts being pushed aside my 2.73 rear end was built July 1 as noted on the POP.

runuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:05:31 AM »
I just looked at a julian calender for '66 and now this has me really confused. If my engine is assembled in Flint on Nov 26 a Saturday and the following week would be 11E that only gives 7 days to get the engine to LOS and in the car. It's a 327 2bbl. nothing special. Seems like just in time inventory control. My alternator is Nov 26 which really seems crazy because I thought they were made in Michigan. My scheduling code is W630 vinL123095, convert with custom int.

donamayo

• save trees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »
I looked at julian calender for '66 and found same confusion. I can't understand what's wrong with the calender.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
I think '63 was the first year for the aluminum powerglide; I know for fact the '64 PG was aluminum; as I recall removing one from a '64 Impala convertible I once owned; then installed the 283 engine a Henry J, and sold the PG...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan