Author Topic: firewall paint  (Read 2702 times)

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
firewall paint
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
What color should my firewall be? Same as body color? (1967 camaro) heater box too?
Matt: 1967 RS/SS - L48/Powerglide - Sierra Fawn/Beige Vinyl Top, Charleston, SC

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: firewall paint
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
A handy tool on this site is the search option.  Right above your post, you can type in the search box (or click on advanced search for a more refined search) a few key words like "firewall paint" of "firewall blackout"  You then hopefully get old threads which begin to address your question while others reply to your post.  If no results appear, use other or fewer key words.  Firewall should be blacked out, with a non-distinct transition to body color at the top.  Another good thing to read on this site is under the CRG Reports section, The First-Generation Camaro Assembly Process by our expert contributor JohnZ: http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml       

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: firewall paint
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
I just did this job. As Pete says, you'll find info and photos. Coverage varied. Cover was full gloss as it pertained to lacquer, not urethane. Different properties apply to them. I knocked Concept back with flattening agent. If your gloss result is a touch low in percentage, just go over it by hand with finishing glaze to bump it up a little. I choked the fan down on my mini and freehanded the blackout top. Some transitions were at the top, some lower, some erratic.