Author Topic: 1968 Camaro Front Coil Spring Replacement  (Read 16420 times)

viking

• View Profile
1968 Camaro Front Coil Spring Replacement
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »
I am in the process of replacing the front coil springs on my 1968 Camaro. The front springs have been removed without much difficulity, however I am having difficulity in installing the new ones. As the new springs have a higher spring rate I am having difficulity in getting them into place, as there is is insufficient room to intall the the spring compressor to compressor the spring to get it into place, and remove the spring compressor.  Is there a special type of spring compressor to use to install these springs, or a special way to  install the springs?

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: 1968 Camaro Front Coil Spring Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »
I've had the greatest success by using a compressor that is internal to the spring coil.  It is inserted from the bottom and hooks around the spring wire in two spots, 180 degrees apart, near the top of the coil and in two spots 180 degrees apart near the bottom of the coil.  The screw is tightened from the bottom and the coil is compressed until it will fit into the spring pockets.  If you've already tried this approach and found that it is difficult to remove the compressor once the spring is installed, try completely disassembling the compressor mechanism by threading the screw out of the hook mechanisms and removing it one piece at a time.  Occasionally, if there is no engine the car, some of the parts may be manuevered out between the coils.  This process may sound laborious but it has worked for me many times.

c

viking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:34:18 PM »

I have tried that, however the parts (fingers) that attach to the coil spring are too large to go through the shock mount hiole in the lower control arm.  I guess there are different sizes of spring compressors that have smaller clamps that could be removed through the bottom??

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »
NOT recommended, NOT safe, but I have in the past compressed coils off of the car, and strapped them using wire. Then inserted in the car, and cut the wire. Not always having the right stuff, we improvise.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 04:14:16 PM »
I just completed the task on my 69. I got a compressor from advanced auto (the same thing is also available from Eastwood) for $35. It is the internal type and has to be dismantled to be removed. The clamps have to be turned endways to fit thru the shoch hole. Try passing your's thru the shock hole, without the spring in place, to see if they fit. This is the worst job of reasembling the whole car.

lvfyrman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
i have also had to take the compressor apart and put together inside of the spring, it worked on my 69 pace car without the engine or front clip on it

viking

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:56:46 PM »
Thank you - After a lot of frustration I have the springs installed. Removing  the spring compressor ( after diss-assembling it) took a bit of work and a lot of time, but it is now completed and the car is sitting properly and no more tire rubbing.