Author Topic: Dash Vin and title match but protecto plate and engine code do not?  (Read 6815 times)

Ralye

• View Profile
Looking at a possible purchase...............
dash vin  124378L3055533
Title vin  124378L3055533
protecto plate 124378L305533   one less 5
engine stamp   11305533

Possible factory mess up or what?  Any info in anyones archives. 
Thanks for the help!
Ralye

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Dash Vin and title match but protecto plate and engine code do not?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
Before we can comment, we'll need to see a picture of the dash VIN. The chances are slim (but possible) it's a factory mistake. (They did make a few now and then!) There's only so much real estate on the blank.

Ed

Ralye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
will have picture today I hope. 
Thanks

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
That's the sort of 'error' that I could easily attribute to factory personnel... (or to any of us humans for that matter!). :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Ralye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
here is a vin picture

(I rotated and cropped the pic to be easier to see - Kurt)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:27:09 AM by KurtS »

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Well, it's "factory" so that's good. Looks like the LA surfer dudes weren't paying attention!!

By the way, can you send me a picture of the trim tag, the POP and the engine pad? I'd like to add the car to the database. My email address is in my signature to the left.

Thanks
Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »
I've seen 2 or 3 VIN misstamps, but none with extra digits. It's original, btw.
Kurt S
CRG

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
I have to admit, that extra digit on the VIN plate is one of the coolest factory mistakes I have seen.  How did they not catch this?  So, I have to ask, what was the process for setting up and changing the VIN plate die?  I used to think it was like the bank rubber date stamps where they would spin the dial place of the digit and the next number would come to the front.  From what this mistake shows me, it appears the numbers are removed and replaced with the next die.  Here, the factory worker slid out the ...532, mistakenly removed only one of the 5's, left the other 5 on the press machine, then grabbed an extra 5 and slid it back in place along with the two 3's, and BANG, pressed out the VIN we see today.  The fact that it was never caught and made it out of the factory with the paperwork reflecting the mistake means that more than just one guy dropped the ball here.

I know that misstamped coins make for higer value and collectible status.  Wonder how this affects the value, it at all.  In the very least, cool story.  I will say, if I didn't see the photo of the VIN, I would question this person's eyesight and was sure he was not reading the VIN right.  However, seeing the actual VIN confirms it.  If I was buying this car and saw this VIN, I would shy away and assume someone was trying to pull a fast one.  I would also want to know where the other 2.5 million Camaros were.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
I have to admit, that extra digit on the VIN plate is one of the coolest factory mistakes I have seen.  How did they not catch this?  So, I have to ask, what was the process for setting up and changing the VIN plate die?

There was no manual changing of individual character dies (like there was for the engine and transmission VIN derivative stamp gang-holders); the VIN plate was produced in a Graphotype machine, like a big typewriter. They normally have a mechanical character count limiting device, but it either didn't work or was over-ridden when this plate was created.

Very few people in the plant paid any attention to the VIN; what mattered to the Production System was the Sequence Number (top left corner of the Broadcast Copy).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything