Author Topic: Spindles - re-usable or not ???  (Read 4153 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Spindles - re-usable or not ???
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
I am trying to determine if my original spindles are still good or should be replaced.  I am rebuilding my front suspension and have everything apart right now. This is a first time suspension rebuild project for me.........I am including a link with some pictures. There is some discoloration where the inner bearing rides on the shaft. The discoloration is not as dark as it looks in the pictures. I went over the discolored area with some 0000 steel wool and WD40 but it made no difference. It seems to be permanent. I have tried to show all 360 degrees of the shaft in the pictures. If you run your fingernail on the shaft where the inner bearind rides, the surface is smooth. If you run your fingernail on the shaft in front of or behind the surface where the inner bearing rides, you can feel very small machining ridges or grooves....... Are there specs posted anywhere that you can check for with a micrometer?

And now to ask what may seem like a silly question. WHere the inner race of the wheel bearings ride on the spindle shaft, is that inner race suppose to stay stationary or spin?

Thanks.................Dave

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t386/daven1256/Spindle%20pictures/

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Spindles - re-usable or not ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
This is just my opinion but I would replace both of them. At one time the spindles have been hot as in run dry. Probably from lack of maintenance or over torquing the bearings. Now to answer your question. Nothing is supposed to spin except the needles in the bearing itself. The race inside the disk/drum and the bearing on the spindle stays put. When the bearing spins on the spindle you get the results you have or if run long enough it will seize to the spindle. What does the area for the seal feel like? Does it have a grove in it where the seal rides? 
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
There doesn't seem to be a groove where the seal rides.

And now to ask another rookie question......The grease seal, being pressed into the rotor and spinning around the stationary spindle......what keeps the seal from just melting away from the friction and the heat?

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »
It's made out of material to take the heat plus the grease will also transfer heat. It's also very thin with minimal contact of the spindle. And on top of all that it's really not that tight of a fit that's why they tend to leak with a groove. The grease goes under it in the groove.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
I agree with tmodel66. The race should not spin on the spindle. If you have access to a micrometer you will probably find your spindles are worn. Can you catch your fingernail where the color stops?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

L22K19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »
On every car I have restored, I have had the spindles crack tested and found more than 70% are cracked right behind where the outer bearing sits. I would highly recommend that you do this as when they break the damage is enormous.