Author Topic: Upper A-Arm Dust Sheilds  (Read 7788 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Upper A-Arm Dust Sheilds
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
This drives me even more nutty than upside-down cowl induction air-cleaner seals........

Aren't the rubber dust sheilds that are stapled to the front wheel housings supposed to go into the upper a-arm holes to keep them from flapping around?????

That's why the sheilds have a t-flaps to go into these holes......right??????

Please tell me I'm right.......almost every first gen Camaro I've seen has the rubber sheilds just laying over the upper control arms which defeats the purpose of keeping road dirt and water from going into the engine bay????  ???

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Upper A-Arm Dust Sheilds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »

Please tell me I'm right.......
You're right.  No idea what keeps people from putting the flaps into the holes.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »
One reason for the flaps being laid on top and no tucked in is in our case our original 43 year old flaps are starting to tear slightly and I do not want to bend or twist them in case they tear more. I have yet to see a decent repro set but please prove me wrong if they actually do exist. I really do prefer not to remove original parts from a mostly original car unless absolutely necessary or NOS parts can be found as replacements.
just my 2 cents
LM69Z28 ;)

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
This drives me even more nutty than upside-down cowl induction air-cleaner seals........

Aren't the rubber dust sheilds that are stapled to the front wheel housings supposed to go into the upper a-arm holes to keep them from flapping around?????

Please tell me I'm right.......almost every first gen Camaro I've seen has the rubber sheilds just laying over the upper control arms which defeats the purpose of keeping road dirt and water from going into the engine bay????  ???

Camaronut....thank you, both of those make me nuts too. I once restored a 69 Zee and the first thing the owner did was reach down into the engine bay and pull out the rubber shields from the upper control arms, his comment, why did you put them in there....:>(
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »
If you are looking for some repro A arm dust shields that fit good, try Montco Manufacturing (Mena, Arkansas), part # CA109.  Put them on my 68, and they fit good & tucked in properly.  Also, check out various other post on this forum on using 16 to 19 gauge wire instead of staples.   Sure made installing the shields easier for me.  Thanks for that advice guys.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
I have seen plenty untucked, but more not even installed - both on very nicely done cars.  Both amazing to me really.
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
When I was at Carlisle last Friday, I walked the car corral.

Every 1st gen Camaro I saw (and there were plenty) had them out......not one was installed correctly....and......about everyone that had cowl induction seals on upside down.

Amazing.   An $80K 69 Z28 (maybe worth $40K on a good day)....both items...WRONG!!!!!!! I shook my head and walked away....

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »
I worked for a Chevy dealer when these cars were fairly new and don't remember any shields tucked in like they were designed. We changed quite a few shocks back then and you had to pull them out of the way. George

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
I just installed new shields from Heartbeat City. Look pretty damn good to me. I was pleased with the quality. Didn't use the staples though.
Donny

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
My shields came from Metro and turned out nice. Used a welding rod to make staples.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
When they left the plant, they were tucked in - who knows what was done to them later.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Mine were tucked in when I bought the car and are still that way.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
JohnZ.....I'm glad you chimed in.

You were there.....you should know.

Thanks...

I wonder if any points are taken-off cars in the Legends Class cars at the Nationals for this and upside-down cowl induction seals........if they don't...they really should.......