Author Topic: ZP2 Option  (Read 6859 times)

427-KING

• View Profile
ZP2 Option
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »
ZP2 is a color trim override . How did someone know that it existed when making an order ? Like the COPO orders,it wasnt something that was openly available. Does anyone have any info on this override? I am aware the dealer had to sign off on it as well as the customer stating that he could not opt out of the car if he didnt like the color etc...Most importantly, if a color override was NOT a special order - - paint,why would you need a color override if it was available in the first place. I am  convinced a white interior was not a COPO available  interior color for sure on a chevelle and most likely on a camaro as Ive never seen any documented examples of camaros with it  .  I have had 2[and know of no other] full paperwork 427 copo chevelles  w parchment interiors  . One had the ZP2 on the paperwork, and the other had a special designation in the interior box[prefer not to elaborate exactly what it is] .....I guess the last question is what cars would not have been available in the normal color schemes available on other models  ?????     IE If a 69  z28 was not available in frost green for example, that needed a color overide to order it that way .  Could a convertible be ordered with a houndstooth interior with a ZP2 if it wasnt a pace car. Sorry for all the questions.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: ZP2 Option
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:46 AM »
I thought color override was simply ordering combinatio nof exterior color and interior color that was NOT in the list of combination recommended.  id.      red interior in a blue car?   or similar....  I think it would take lots more to order an interior, or a paint, that was not available on the model you were ordering...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
I thought color override was simply ordering combinatio nof exterior color and interior color that was NOT in the list of combination recommended.  id.      red interior in a blue car?   or similar....  I think it would take lots more to order an interior, or a paint, that was not available on the model you were ordering...

That's correct - the override (which required Zone Office approval, not a COPO) simply made an existing interior trim available with an existing exterior color when that combination wasn't shown as a recommended/available combination. All of the required parts were already in the plant, so it didn't require any special parts or procurement activity; Styling simply didn't like it and didn't want it made available.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »
Therefore, white interior was not a listed color option for a copo special order car ,since it [color combination]was suggested and available  on every other model.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
There is no listed colors for COPO cars, they could have been any color but the dealers may have only ordered the more normal colors that would be easy to sell.  It wasn't a GM restriction it was dealer selection.  ZP2 would have been used to order houndstooth in a convertible, or perhaps an orange houndstooth in a frost green coupe.  In 69 an ivory/black standard interior could have been ordered on any exterior colored car therefore it would not require a ZP2 trim override.  Colors like Yellow houndstooth are typically only seen in Daytona yellow, black and dover white car.  If this was a documented restriction of that interior to be available only in cars with those three exterior colors then its use with any other exterior color would have required a ZP2 option.  Under no condition would the ZP2 option get you a purple interior, or any other non "standard" color upholstery, or some weird combination of one color trim and another color seats in a mix and match type of order.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
"There is no listed colors for COPO cars, they could have been any color but the dealers may have only ordered the more normal colors that would be easy to sell"............So if 2 white interior cars are Zp2 and one is fathom green and one lemans blue,then i believe it can be determined that the reason for the zp2 was the white interior.  Certainly the exterior colors of lemans blue or fathom green was NOT a non suggested exterior color on a copo,since mANY  copos were green and several  were lemans blue.    If there were no listed colors for copo cars, then what is the need for zp2 in the first place??

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »
Thats because colors on a COPO did not require any input from engineering, you could have ordered a COPO in any available color the line had, and got a normally coded trim tag, or your could have ordered one in any color GM had available and you got the - - trim code same as any other Camaro built.  The ZP2 option was for the color blind people that wanted a red interior in a frost green Camaro, or any color code GM felt was outside the allowable combinations.  GM did have a list of colors that you could have for any given exterior color, stray outside of that list and your window sticker got the ZP2 option code on the window sticker.  If GM felt that white was not an acceptable interior for use in a green car, it would not have been on the "allowable color combinations list" in the Camaro ordering book the dealers had.  If a buyer really wanted a car built that way, they had this process for overriding the color combinations and you got your requested interior color.  Just eed to find that list in the dealers order book.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
"If GM felt that white was not an acceptable interior for use in a green car, it would not have been on the "allowable color combinations list" in the Camaro ordering book the dealers had."...............It was not acceptable in a blue car either which makes me believe the white was the one constant especially since lemans blue and fathom green are very popular colors.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:56 AM »
Its not from the dealer order book, but from the document GM sends you if you send for a "restoration package".  White (black/ivory) 69 interior codes 727/729 is one of two colors that is available with every exterior paint code there is along with black (codes 711/712/713), so having a white interior should not have triggered a ZP2 code.  Unless the later order paper work restricted the white interiors to certain colors.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:32 AM »
Heres the April of 69 Allowable Color Combinations
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11