Author Topic: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?  (Read 48590 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
First off some history of discussions of a not too long ago thread- http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7432.0
Yes I could have added to that thread but thought it might be more beneficial to add facts and work to find out what might have been different configurations. Here's why!
Numerous past discussions have discussed if the inside rear window & package tray mldg. was painted with suede paint similar to the dash or a satin to semi-gloss black. Seems the majority state just black but there were some notable exceptions from Camaro owners and a couple very knowledgeable people. I thought ours was just a semi-gloss black but upon careful inspection our originals seem to be clearly painted with both suede and a satin/semi-gloss black. I realize someone might say they could have been changed since leaving the factory, and yes anything is possible but I believe these to be unmolested pieces as everything in that area was original and typical except this. The backside of the mouldings had surface rust/scale and had no paint. This would indicate they were attached to the car prior to painting. The picture might not be the best but if you could see first hand they without a doubt look like the suede was partially put on after black. Has anyone else seen this?
Thoughts?

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

Chick – I think you bring up a valid point. You probably did the same thing I did and punched-in the advanced search. There are a ton of threads on the topic and all indications lead to more than one finish; especially when you consider the number of differences in opinions among seasoned vets.

What really throws a wrench in this discussion is viewing your pic, John's and Charlie's. Yours on this thread and John & Charlie's on the thread you pasted. What really catches my eye is Charlie's (reply 30). You can't ask for much more than what He's shown; unmolested, low mileage, & obvious care from 40+ years of exposure which clearly illustrates a suede finish identical to the dash. Perhaps someone else has a similar well kept low mileage car who can snap a couple of pics we can view. The more the merrier and preferably from both plants. Since time impacts finishes, other pics must come from well preserved cars like Charlie's. Just one guys opinion but one I would use to make my own determination.

On the down side, someone else could photograph Charlie's car & 5 XS out of 10 it would appear as another finish. Oh well, good topic and I look forward to other responses.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Well I asked Lonny and he told expressed two things. First off, he has not personally seen a first gen with suede paint on those trim pcs. and 2nd in his opinion its just a matter of old paint, UV rays, etc., and what he explained actually made sense in more ways than one as it might explain why someone might feel theirs was painted suede as just as I thought. I had placed this question with our build thread at team camaro and Scott had some excellent points as well.
Going to restore them with no suede......
But its still an interesting topic and I'm always all ears ;D  :D   ;)
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Charley

• View Profile
Well send Lonny over and he can see suede paint up close and personal and I can assure you he won't chalk it up to old paint, UV rays etc.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Charley's survivor shows suede on the rear. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7432.30 But some cars are not. If Chick's piece above is indeed suede, how did they control the spray pattern so precisely as the keep the finish on one side of the apex? Have another photo of that piece? Unfortunately the car is now painted so the evidence on the other metal is gone.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Well send Lonny over and he can see suede paint up close and personal and I can assure you he won't chalk it up to old paint, UV rays etc.

Actually overtime the opposite happens, the suede finish actually deteriorates and smooths out. There is no question that in the 100 or so unrestored cars that i've either certified, inspected or looked at all had a suede finish. Rather than debate this I will take some pics of my survivor cars which were built in both plants. I would at least say that the suede finish is the norm and anything else was the exception.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Original owner. Survivor car. The interior looks as good as when I brought it home.  Car has been garaged for at least 95% of its life.  The pictures, for what ever reasons, do not reflect the true color (black).

Pictures are as follows:  passenger side seat looking out front windshied (dash), passenger side outside looking in and down though the windshield (dash, specks are dirty windshield),  passenger side back seat looking out back window (trim).

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
rear trim

IZRSSS

Steve - sounds like you have the perfect car for this discusion. Difficult to tell by your pics though. Can you pull back a little and then adjust the pics with your photo shop? Sometimes I have to take a dozen or so pics to get one good one. PITA but I guess that's the way it goes. And...which plant was your car born in?

Thanks!

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Not the best photographer in the world that's for sure  :). Will try again....need better lighting I think.

Norwood car.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
Package tray surrround does not look like the suede dash top in Steve's photo.

Dont use a flash when taking photos, use a secondary light source. Rest your camera on a semi soild surface like a firm pillow. Your parts do not appear black due to radiosity.

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Steve - I agree with Scott when he says use a secondary light source. The flash has a tendency to bounce off the image distorting the pic. You might also try taking your pics outside of your garage & at different times of the day. Until you get an accurate rendition of your car’s rear window moldings paint texture. I have taken several closes up pics of paint and other detailed images and as I so eloquently stated before; it’s a PITA! So just be patient with it and I’m sure you’ll do fine. After all, you already conquered the most difficult part of photography when it comes to CRG…posting them!

Something else I’d like to throw out into the mix; if you guys post pics of low mileage, well preserved cars, please include a pic of both the dash & the package tray.  My guess is that both should have identical textures. Here’s why; I think it’s safe to say these cars were not painted by robots and all of the paint was mixed by hand. So, there were bound to be variations in finishes but each car should have the same finish (interior).

And last; is the term “Suede” an actual paint finish or was it just labeled this out of coincidence/a happy accident?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:59 PM »
'Suede" is just a name.  Texture additive, PPG DX1999 for instance, is used in the formula. So is flattening agent. You can achieve a similar result simply by under reduction and dry spraying.

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
If the suede finish pans out in this discussion, and it holds true for LA built cars, I will certainly choose it over the other two (semigloss/satin). It might just be me but there is something very unique/special about this finish. The information you provided above will be filled away with the rest of my stuff for future reference.

Thanks Scott.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »
Charley's survivor shows suede on the rear. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7432.30 But some cars are not. If Chick's piece above is indeed suede, how did they control the spray pattern so precisely as the keep the finish on one side of the apex? Have another photo of that piece? Unfortunately the car is now painted so the evidence on the other metal is gone.
Our orig. pcs. are still virgin as I have not done anything to them yet so after easter I will take more pics from different angles and submit for review. Charley, understand yours probably has suede but many have said theirs did not. Lonny does know what to look at and he has not seen that in the past as others have said as well. I brought this up to look deeper into the possibilities, not to haggle among members or call out members/friends. Peace :)
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06