Author Topic: Trunk lid rod position  (Read 4030 times)

z10kl

• View Profile
Trunk lid rod position
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »
Is there a standard location for the ends of the spring rods. There are three notches. I assume there would be a normal position that they were in  from the factory and would it be the same on D80 cars since one rod is bigger. So should the lid raise on it's on when the key is turned or just jump up a little?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Trunk lid rod position
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:12:58 AM »
Read THIS.

Ed

z10kl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Thanks, so originally they were in the upper slot. Is that the same for both D80 and non D80. Even with the stronger rod on a D80 car would it need to be in a lower notch. And I kinda remember back ion the day my deck lid coming up when I turn the key. Was that the original idea? After 40+ years they may not act the same and so many cars have spoilers added without the rod change like my convertable. I have to check my sons car as it is the only one in my shop that hve probably not been removed. I guess with repo lids and spoilers a lot of weight differences now. Would be interested in some survivor car rod possitions.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
As Ed mentioned in the Team Camaro posts...be carefull if you decide to move the rod to a different slot.  It's under a great deal of tension, and can really bust you up.  I would recommend against vice grips/channel locks.  I used a long pipe, with a diameter only slightly larger than the tension rod itself. 

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
i have the two smaller same size rods. I moved both of mine to the lowest notch in the brackets using a deep socket with an extension as a handle workd fine. however the truck lid still did not pop up at the turn of the key even in the lowest (most torque) position. I may have to switch out to one of the the larger rods.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Yes, if your car came from the factory with the spoiler, both rods would still be in the upper position.

Ed