Author Topic: 4K pics  (Read 10210 times)

67L78

• View Profile
Re: 4K pics
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »
Good eye on that shifter boot Jon. I wondered when i posted that shot if someone would catch that boot. I've since changed to the correct boot which came on the car when it bought it in 95. Back then i was told it was wrong so i buy the console boot thinking it was correct and all along my old one was right. My boot might be the original to the car i don't know. It does not have any #'s or markings on it. Did they repo them back in the 90's?
I don't mind at all you guys pointing out things about the ole hot rod. I like the factory stuff and enjoy learning about it. Now someone say something about the kick panels being the wrong color (LOL). Dummy me thought they were wrong when i got the car and dyed them light blue. I looked at an original 67 light blue int. car a while back and learned they are dark blue,which mine was. How can i remove that dye from the plastic without damaging them?

Richard

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
I do not think I would try to remove the light dye...could do more damage....maybe dye them back to a dark blue.......

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 06:31:38 AM »
JM, do you have an opinion on who makes the best repro of that shift boot?  I asked many times before and no one ever really had a definative answer.
68Z28

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
I have heard that Easy-Off oven spray works at removing paint from plastic but have never tried it personally and have not talked directly with someone who has. There are probably some websites that discuss how to do something like that. As for the repro shift boots, I have seen an advertisement that Soff-Seal is now doing them but I know that others have repro'd them before. I just don't have knowledge of who they were. I think this is one of those cases where you need to check them out at a swap meet vendor and see in person if their's looks any good or not.
Jon Mello
CRG

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 03:33:41 AM »
I have used DOT 3 fluid (Brake) to remove Factory (Athearn) paint from plastic HO Scale Model Railroad Locomotives with minimal damage to the fine detail on the plastic. I NEVER thought about how that could translate to Automotive restorations.

as a side note, I have a buddie with a Y2 1967 4K that has been off the road since It put me in the hospital (Mary Bridge Burn Center - Tacoma wash in 85') His car is like a time capsule stuck in the 80's. anyway I ramble.
Try a small sample area with the DOT3, anyone else tried this?

Jim Weaver
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
As you can see in interior shot my kick panels are the wrong color. Dummy me thought they were were suppose to be light blue when really dark blue is correct. I sprayed then with a dye. I want to get that dye off of them but don't know what to use to remove it. I certainly don't want to damage the plastic. Anyone know what will work to remove the dye?

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
Sorry i'm repeating myself. not real good with computers!!! I'll try some of that stuff to remove the dye and get back to you guys.
I would really like to see that time capusal 4K you are talking about. Think that might be possible
Thanks,
Richard

anything