Author Topic: powerglide tranny dust boot  (Read 3434 times)

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
powerglide tranny dust boot
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
Help! just got my car back from paint and ready to begin re-assembly. I have discovered that my powerglide shifter "dust boot" is in bad shape. (torn and rotted) I have spent most of the day looking on the internet for a replacement and I am striking out. Anyone have any suggestions????? I can find all kinds of T-400 boots but they are not as deep and will not accept the powerglide "stalk" that fits into the boot, which is exposed under the floor pan.

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: powerglide tranny dust boot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
Look at this one part number 3895281 over at   http://oldmusclecars.com/   Maybe?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:49:12 AM »
Their part # matches the correct GM number in the AIM, but I'd call and ask before ordering.  Looking at the AIM, M35/A8 and M40/A7, it appears the boot should be the same for both.  Maybe the repops aren't correct? 

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:09:05 AM »
Their part # matches the correct GM number in the AIM, but I'd call and ask before ordering.  Looking at the AIM, M35/A8 and M40/A7, it appears the boot should be the same for both.  Maybe the repops aren't correct? 

That's right. It only list one number for both transmission boots.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies re: my boot issue. I actually purchased that boot from Camaro Central and it is not the correct boot. So there is some major confusion when it comes to the powerglide boot. The difference is in the depth of the molded portion of the boot that extends below the shift tunnel.  I have even tried to heat this boot to try to stretch it to fit but to no avail. I really hope to find someone with an original pg shifter where the car has been converted to a 4sp car or who changed over to one of the aftermarket shifters where the mechanism is different than that of the old style. Anyone else have this issue??????

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
Yep, the reason I haven't bought one and live with a very slight tear.  I'd suggest measuring the "depth" of your original and calling the place above to see what theirs measures.  I think the big name suppliers refer to theirs as a 67 T400 boot, they must be aware of the incompatability.  I'd be curious if it even works on that tranny shifter.  Maybe they copied a 68-69 horseshoe shifter boot and try selling it as also being 67 correct.  I haven't checked the AIMs to see if 68-69 autos had a different/shallower boot.

Update - I also looked at Vette boots on Paragon's site and they are much different.  I have emailed the company above asking for the depth, and will post the reply I hopefully get soon.  

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:07:42 PM by Petes L48 »

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
Had I only known that of the 99% of this car that is available in the aftermarket, that the 1% is things like p/g tranny boot, I would have NOT destroyed the old boot. Even though the old boot had a 2" tear in it and a slight amount of "dry-rot", I could have cleaned it up and made it work. Even though this car will never be a daily driver and will never see the kind of conditions that will create a problem there, I would still like it to be in place. I will simply have to get some type of universal boot to fabricate an air/noise barrier until I can potentially find the correct boot.
Thanks for the reply PetesL48 and let me know if you think/hear of any solutions.   

anything