Author Topic: Diverter Valve  (Read 9350 times)

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Diverter Valve
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
Hi, I have a couple of diverter valves. One looks normal and the other has a wire welded to the valve and to the muffler above it. I've seen this a few times and was wondering if any body could shed some lite on to when and why this was done.  thanks, Rick
Rick
69 RS/Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Diverter Valve
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
Klutzy as it looks, that was a short-term temporary fix to keep the diverter valve muffler from falling off.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
Thanks John, I had seen a few like that and wasn't sure when or where it was done. So I take it it was probilby done after the fact at the dealer or some other garage.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
Nope, that was done by GM (Rochester Products I believe) when they made it.
Kurt S
CRG

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
Thanks Kurt, Great information. That makes sense since the wire and weld jobs all look some what the same.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:51:22 AM »
Now the questions start...........was the one with the wire "frame" used early, late or throughout the entire first gen run or one specific year? BB SB Z/28s or ? applications.  OK folks let see what we come up with!
That's one piece that's sure hard to "properly" restore with the wire frame in the way!
LM69Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:58 AM »
I've watched this some.
It sure seems like there should be a pattern, but it hasn't been obvious to me.....
Kurt S
CRG

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
My observation on the valve with the tack welded wire support shows up on allot on 68 Chevrolets and Vette's and was uesd on early run 69 cars as well. I have no clue as to when this valve started.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
I do have one with the wire support that was on a April 69 Z28. 
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
Pretty sure the wire on the diverter valve style is an early design. If you look carefully, you will see that the hoods are different too.
The early design hood is pressed into place and then secured with the wire.

The later hoods are crimped in place and then no wire was needed.
I am not sure when the change occurred - but it really seems to be an early and late thing -
Since these were not dated - I have no way to be sure, except that all the NOS "wire units" I have are in early orange GM boxes.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
 I know the diverter valves and the mufflers weren't dated but you could get some kind of time line with the pump they were installed on. Jeff, Is there any way you could post a pic of one of those NOS "Wire Units" you have?
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:11 AM »
I most always separated the valve from the pump when I was collecting.
Pumps with diverters still installed, took up way more space then boxes of - pumps - diverters - extensions - brackets - pulleys.

Will see if I can remember to take a few pictures over the weekend - I have a ton of them (not all Camaro applications)
The wire looks exactly like the one in the top picture  - they are all identical.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
My 01C '69 Z/28 has the wire on the diverter valve.  It's a Los Angeles car if that might matter. 

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
My 02A X33 car came with the valve with the wire frame. I was told it was impossible to restore so I bought a nicely restored original numbers one but still have the original valve from the car that I have been working on and off on.  Unfortunately the Gold "cad" spray looks like paint (which it is) and not a real cad finish so am not happy how it looks although it came out very nice. I painted the muffler zinc phosphate which looks good but have seen the colors on them range from very dark to a light gray color.
Cheers
LM69Z28 ;)

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
here are a few with the wires. Didn't have a chance to dig through the NOS units.
Pretty much the wires are all identically installed on the hoods