Author Topic: Virus on Team Camaro!  (Read 11163 times)

KevinW

• View Profile
Virus on Team Camaro!
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »
Guys, went on team Camaro forum (after yahoo home page) and then AVG alerted on a crytpic.DUY virus.  hit the recommended "remove" link.  Then went back into team Camaro and then the virus hit, wiped out my hard drive :(  Got out my backup PC to send this.  Someone please get a note to Dennis and the other mods there to contact the admins to find this.  Now I have a whole weekend to rebuild my systems.  what fun!

77thor

• View Profile
Re: Virus on Team Camaro!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
Wow, I'm glad I saw this first before I went on Team Camaro.... I'm a regular over there.
But I have no idea as how to contact anybody.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:33:48 PM by 77thor »
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
I just come from team camaro forums and did not have any issues.  Site seems ok to me.
Russ

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
Well, I am not going to trust it until I recover my files.  Then using a bare bones system, I will try it again :)

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
There are several router hopper virus attacks that TC users are prone to. I got a hit on Wednesday or Thursday that Malware-bytes blocked its access to a IP address in Russia. It was trying to download a file x.exe Malware-bytes then removed a Trojan.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »
Kevin, Im in and out of there all day long, never a problem,,, think its something else, maybe in your yahoo or some lingering cookie or who knows these days...but my Norton and AVG are both clean, no issues, no hits. I will report it to the back room in TC  just in case... but keep checking.
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »
Thanks Jim.  Went on it this afternoon from my backup after cloning the HD.  No issues either.  I don't know what happened.  Just powered it on this morning, went to yahoo fine, but when I went to TC forum, that is when AVG hit the virus (cryptic.DUY, whic I cannot find on the web).  Then it escalated from there.  both HDs wiped.  But I rebuilt the system with a spare HD and in the process of recovering the files.  It will just take time :)

DjD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
Just an update, the Autoforums folks have checked out TC and it comes up clear.  They have also alerted and asked google to make sure their malware is updated.  There is a nasty trojan called cryptic.DUE that can corrupt a drive but it is more typically used to steal passwords and usually hijacks your web browser sending you to rogue web sites and hitting you with pop-up ads.  It also really drags down your computer processing and internet speed.  Trojans typically hide out on your drive for a while, mess with your anti-virus definitions then use your computer to complete tasks.  It would be odd for one to be downloaded and just go off.  Perhaps AVG didn't fully remove it when it identified it and that started a self destruct which ate the drive. 

I really feel the folks responsible for virus and trojan code should be treated like terrorists!!         

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
Thanks for checking Dennis! The virus did not really delete the files, just broke the pointers.  Almost done rebuilding my system, those scans and formats take a real long time!  Then I can start recovering the rest of my files using file scavenger.  About AVG not removing all the way is what I think too.  Going to have spare HD clones ready next time :)

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
well, seems TC was not the culprit, sorry for the false alarm.  My wife just told me her freind who send all these junk things to 'look' at had this same virus a couple weeks ago. :(  So I deleted all her emails with attachments and going to look into why my AVG email scanner did not work. Almost done rebuilding, what a pain!