Author Topic: Brake booster question.  (Read 2551 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
Brake booster question.
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
My 67 has the front disc and rear drum brake set up and I'm wanting to install a brake booster.  First I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what a brake booster does and what the benefits are.  I sure they increase the braking efficiency of the system and or shorten the stopping distance.  I think I've settled on the 11" system but was hoping someone could tell me what problems I may face with the install.  Currently I have front disc and rear drums and all I have is the master cylinder under the hood. It appears that the front calipers are not original.  I purchased a set of brake pads from Auto Zone for a 67 and when I went to install the new ones they weren't even close to what was on the car.  Back to Auto Zone and I wound up with pads for a 69.  How did that happen?

Next winter I am wanting to do a brake conversion with disc brake all the way around and those sexy red calipers.  If I install a brake booster will that dictate what kind of brake conversion I can do?  Thanks in advance for any direction.   

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brake booster question.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
Most likely your '67 was built with drum brakes, and some previous owner added the later style single-piston caliper front discs.

The vacuum booster will reduce required pedal pressure, but won't increase braking efficiency or reduce stopping distance. Adding the booster won't dictate what you can do to add 4-wheel discs; you'll have to change the master cylinder anyway when you do that.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »
There's probably more discussions over on the Team Camaro site when it comes to modifying/upgrading brake systems over the original factory setup.  You may want to ask around over there also, if you have more questions. 

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:39:04 AM »
  Most anybody that did a front Disc conversion, if they weren't worried about originality they would go with the '69 or later calipers.  I believe Novas used the same and they were readily available.  The original '67s are much harder to find.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

anything