Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Bob Tucker  (Read 9810 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Rest in Peace, Bob Tucker
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
I got some very sad news today that Bob Tucker of Orlando, FL passed away this week. Bob was a very special
person, a true Southern Gentleman, but a fierce competitor on the drag strip and a very talented mechanic and
fabricator. He raced one of the extremely rare '63 Z11 427 Impalas which had many wins and held many records.
He also raced a ZL1 Camaro and built another one for drag racing. He built too many cars to fully mention here
but of pertinent interest is that he is the one that built and prepared the Joie Chitwood Camaro for Trans-Am
racing. I was very pleased and fortunate to be able to record a conversation with him discussing the very build
of that car. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Ann who just this week sent me a wonderful photo CD
filled with photos of Bob's cars when I'm sure she had many other things on her mind. Two very special people.
God bless them both.

Jon Mello
CRG

Badlilstang

• View Profile
Re: Rest in Peace, Bob Tucker
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:28:03 PM »
Hi Jon,

I know this is an old post but would love to see the cars Bob Tucker built.  My Dad worked for Bob back in the late 60s his name is Marvin Garrett.  Growing up my Dad drag raced for many years.  I got to hear so many stories about how good Bob Tucker was and how detailed he was with each build.  My Dad really looked up to him.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:59:15 AM »
This guy seems like a really interesting person, so many interesting cars.

Any chance of making that interview available?
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 04:46:54 AM »
Joie Chitwood Sr had wanted Smokey Yunick to build the white Camaro for his son Joie Jr to race at Daytona in '67. Smokey was very busy with a lot of projects and also didn't want to deal with the heavy handed oversight he was figuring on receiving. He told them that he didn't want to take on the job but they really were pressuring him. He said the only one who he thought could do the job in the week leading up to the Daytona Trans-Am was Bob Tucker, so Tucker got the job. The Chitwoods set up a trailer in Bob's parking lot with two guys in it to monitor progress on the car. Bob said he worked night and day on the car and didn't sleep for the entire week. I don't know how that's possible but that's what he told me and he's the kind of guy who just doesn't make stuff up. He was a very humble but talented and capable man.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 05:00:20 AM »
Here are some photos from Bob Tucker's Orlando shop and the prep of Joie Chitwood's Trans-Am Camaro.

Jon Mello
CRG

Badlilstang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
Thanks for the pictures of his shop.. I will be showing these to my Dad.  If you have anymore or if you have a photo dump somewhere please let me know!  Bob helped my dad with this 65 GTO and his Green Camaro while he was working for him.  My dad fooled a lot of ppl with a low 12 second GTO back then.  He taught my Dad how to build motors and I get to hear the stories every time we put one together. 

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »
White trim tag..!!..  RIP Mr. Tucker..

Badlilstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
Showed my Dad these pics an he just told me a good Story.. Bob was drag racing in Tamp Florida when his brakes went out... he went though the shut down area ( He thinks through a fence) onto Interstate 4... There was  cop on I4 that saw him come through and wrote him a ticket for the accident lol. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:12:10 AM »
Great story about Bob. Thanks for sharing.
Jon Mello
CRG