Author Topic: Broken bolt in engine block  (Read 4292 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
Broken bolt in engine block
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
Was tightening the  lots on the plate between the fuel pump and block when one of the bolts broke. It's almost flush with the block and I can't get a bite o. It with vice grips of pliers.  My car is a 67 Camaro with a 327. I did purchase an "easy out" but there's not enough room to get a drill down there with the bits on. Any suggestions?

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Broken bolt in engine block
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »
Get a GOOD punch and tap around the edges and back it out.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »
New gasket with RTV. 

Once the fuel pump is bolted back it should be alright.

*smear some grease on the rod to hold it up when the fuel pump is ready to be installed*
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
I agree with WYKOFF69Z, as long as it is one of the small bolts at the top. You only have oil slinging around in there not direct oil pressure. I would however do everything possible to get it out first, a punch can work as mentioned. If you have to drill it, straight and level is critical, if not you can do more damage than good, MUCH more. I would use a 90* drill, punch the center and drill slowly, if you can locate a left handed bit and a reversible drill you will be at a distinct advantage.

Good luck.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:28:03 PM »
there's a bolt in the front of the block that is a through hole that lines up with the pump rod, just remove it and stick a phillips or something in there to hold the rod up, no need to use grease.   On the other hand, the place you do need to apply grease is in the housing of the fuel pump, it get's virtually no lubrication in there otherwise, not enough splashing around to get to the pivot point for the arm.  It's noted on the instructions in many fuel pumps, infact failure to do this will void the warranty on some. 

Turning it with a punch is where I would go first, you can probably get it out enough to get something on it to take it the rest of the way. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »
Get a dremel tool with a thin cutting wheel, and put a slot across the top of the bolt, use a flat-headed, small length screwdriver and remove it like you would a screw.

Been there, done that.

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »
Get a dremel tool with a thin cutting wheel, and put a slot across the top of the bolt, use a flat-headed, small length screwdriver and remove it like you would a screw.

Been there, done that.

Nice! Hope I never have to attempt that but just in case, this one getting filed away for safe keeping...under CS...Camaro stuff.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Been there, done that.
Yes to this, and throw the easy out away. Only thing they can do is cause MORE trouble.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything