Author Topic: How much does a Jerry Mac Neish certification add to a cars value?  (Read 12677 times)

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
I have a 1968 z28 none matching numbers drive train, the motor is a MO block from another z28, transmission has been replaced, rear axle is a non posi 12 bolt  looks original, this car has all the markers of a z28 but its undocumented.

The question is if I get Jerry to Certify the car how much does it add to the value of the car?
If anyone has been through the process please let me know your feelings.

camaronut

• View Profile
Re: How much does a Jerry Mac Neish certification add to a cars value?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:42 AM »
Personally,

He's just going to tell you what you already know....

If it's not a numbers matching car, I wouldn't waste my time........

You could get a value from comparable cars that sell on ebay.......

Just my opinion.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:37:11 AM »
Not sure having the car certified would add a substantial dollar amount to the car. In my opinion, you are more likely to sell the car faster as it would put most buyers at ease knowing an expert has signed off on the car as the real deal. Jerry provides a great service for the Camaro community and is a good alternative for a buyer or seller trying to verify/certify a car.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »
With no paper work and the original engine missing there is nothing to certify. The cowl tag tells you nothing that would reveal if it was a Z28.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
It would, however, show a potential buyer that the car was "born" as a real Z/28, vs. being a "built" or "clone" Z/28 (if that's what Jerry's inspection showed).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
What might the vin on your block be???

ChrisM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
Ramjett54,
Can I ask what makes you think your car is an original Z?  Does it have the original paint? 

The reason I ask is I am in a similar situation.  My car has never been restored, but it is missing the original drive train.  I go back and forth on this same question.  My car will never be worth the same as a 100% factory original car, but at the same time I don't want the car to lose any more of its its factory identity.  I am leaning toward the certification for this reason.  I can take pictures, but the 3rd party credibility of Jerry might be better when I try to sell it.  Will it add to the value?  I don't know, but it won't hurt it.  I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts.

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
With all of the Z clones out there, a certification by JM makes sense.  It makes potential buyers more comfortable & you can also say that your car is certified by a recognized expert.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
It may also help with your insurance co if you need to show documentation for a high agreed value

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »
Ram,
 Will the cost of an Inspection/Certification match any "added value" of the car?  Tough call.
    VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
I don't think that Jerry's Certification will add value in terms of more cash,
but I do think it would make the car sell much faster. Because buyers will be
comfortable about what they are really getting.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
This is a difficult question to answer without knowing you’re intentions. These are questions I would be asking myself if I was in your shoes;

1. What was my initial investment?
2. Have I exhausted every option for recovering all or part of the original drive-train?
3. What would it cost to completely build my own Z on a original platform and what would it be worth in the end?
4. Would the end product be worth more than a clone or a mod?
5. What would it cost me to purchase a complete numbers matching Z?

If 5 out weigh’s 3 & 4 then the answer is simple. Cut your losses and go with 5.

If your only intention is selling it and I was the interested buyer and a certificate of approval from Jerry were attached, I would certainly lean towards yours instead of your neighbor’s who only claimed his was the real deal.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
Just my opinion...
IF the cert verifies that you have a Z28, and this is the only proof of that it would add significantly to the value, at least in my opinion. The more proof you have in addition to Jerry's cert, the less the certification should be worth. With all the fake Z's out there Jerry's cert should at least improve the confidence of a buyer, and that can't hurt your value. HOWEVER if Jerry determines your car is not a Z, that will also affect the value for resale.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
Ramjett54,
Can I ask what makes you think your car is an original Z?  Does it have the original paint? 

The reason I ask is I am in a similar situation.  My car has never been restored, but it is missing the original drive train.  I go back and forth on this same question.  My car will never be worth the same as a 100% factory original car, but at the same time I don't want the car to lose any more of its its factory identity.  I am leaning toward the certification for this reason.  I can take pictures, but the 3rd party credibility of Jerry might be better when I try to sell it.  Will it add to the value?  I don't know, but it won't hurt it.  I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts.

I'm in the same boat as both of you. My 68 Z has its original paint under a coat of spray can primer but I have all of the original drive train except for the engine.  I have the M21 with VIN stamp, 12 bolt, deep grove pulleys, Alternator, breaks, and other stuff. Just no engine block, I'm sure it is a Z/28 but how do I prove it once it is restored?  It seems to me that Jerry's certification is a pretty sure way of proving it. Will it add value? I think it has to add some, how much I don't know.  I feel this way because non-matching numbers cars that are real bring more money then a base models that have been cloned.  If you don't think so than look a more then just Camaro's ever seen a Satellite cloned into a Road Runner, a real Road Runner that is non #'s matching will bring more then the clone. Same thing with a Shelby vs a Shelby clone, or Cornet vs Super Bee, Malibu vs Chevelle SS I could name more but I think you get the point.  Think about tomorrow also, 10 or 15 years from now it might add value also to know that it was a real Z. just MHO     

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:13 AM »
Although I have just about fully documented as many numbers, parts etc as I can on our 69 02A X33 Z without taking the entire car apart, I feel that Jerry's certificate will add resale value and peace of mind to my wife or family and any potential buyer in case something were to happen to me (oh I hope not) and the car were sold. The certification from Jerry and documentation I already have would facilitate a quicker sale and less hassle my wife would experience. Our Z is a long term enjoyable investment that will hopefully give us a financial return at sometime in the future. If I were to not be around at that time what better way to to make your potential buyer aware of what they are getting and feel secure that they are getting a "real" Z/28 and why its price/value is what it is!
I am sure my wife can tell anyone a lot about our 69 Z/28 but visual reference with supporting documentation is sure to help close the deal.
Further some slick jerk who thinks he can take advantage of a lady who knows nothing about the car and can try to tell her what it isn't will be hard pressed to fool her into thinking its not what it real is.
Jerry's certificate is not for everyone but everone should at least consider it. and no I am not a "shill" for Jerry. have never meet the man but have communicated with hiom many times.
What's you price for piece of mind for your big dollar investment sitting in the garage?