Author Topic: Photo Gallery for A/Sedan and A-B/Production cars  (Read 101096 times)

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
Re: Photo Gallery for A/Sedan and A-B/Production cars
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
I had heard that it was an ex-Chapparal Camaro also.

At this race Warren was the fastest A Sedan qualifier with Sid Rust 2nd fastest.  In the race, Warren and Sid had a great battle until Warren's motor broke. It appeared it would be an easy win for Sid as he had a large lead in A Sedan. But everybody forgot about David Jungerman in the Baby Tenda Camaro (ex-Walter Parkins Camaro). David started dead last and charged though the field to catch Sid Rust and go on to win A Sedan.

I'd have to do some digging to remind myself the details of this race, but I do recall my father was running 2nd to Sid when retiring from the race with a flat left rear tire...

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
There is an ex Jerry Dunbar Corvette race car now listed on ebay.

Robert Barg

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »
There is an ex Jerry Dunbar Corvette race car now listed on ebay.

Robert Barg

The car started life as a 1968 Corvette.  Dave McLymont of Wheaton, IL started it's transformation into a race car.  My father and I finished it's construction over the winter of 1972.  We raced the car 10 times in 1973 in SCCA National Central Division races.  We won 5 races, had 3 second place fiishes, 1 dnf and 1 dns.  We finished 2nd overall and 2nd in B Production at the 1973 June Sprints to Bill Jobe, who was driving the ex-Alan Barker Corvette, and finished 2nd in the 1973 Central Division National points, to Mike Manner of Dearborn, MI.  At the 1973 B Production runoffs, we qualified on the front row, 2nd to Bill Jobe, in the first qualifying session.  We lost the motor in the second qualifying session and did not start the race.

The car was purchased at the end of the 1973 race season by Rusty and Max Schmidt.  They raced the car in SCCA and IMSA events for the next decade or more.  They still own the car to this day.  It is Max who has the car listed for sale on Ebay...  A lot of memories...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
Thanks for giving us the full story on the ownership history of the car, Scott. That's something I enjoy learning about.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »
John Ryals built this '68 Camaro and raced it in Southern CA back in the 1972-1973 timeframe. He took it down to Mexico to race it
at an event at the Autodromo Monterrey and somebody bought it from him on the spot. He didn't even get to run the race with it.
John still works on old race cars and fabricates whatever someone might need. His shop is out in Santa Clarita, CA and he has a website
at www.ryalsfab.com .  John is wondering whatever became of his car. If anybody has some photos of it later on or knows what became
of it, try contacting him through his website.  The indoor photos below were taken at a big car show in Los Angeles where John says he
won his tallest trophy! The "Winter Nationals Custom Car, Motorcycle, Drag Boat and Model Car Contest"

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
Two photos of the Randall A/S AMC.(Hot Rod Yearbook)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »
Thanks for posting, Robert.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 01:32:01 AM »
Listed as Texas' "Fastest 'A' Sedan", the Web Camaro:

WEB was a sponsor on the A/S Camaro of Tom States:

A close up of a WEB valve cover hold down.
Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
Robert, that's pretty cool. Thanks for tying that all together (the ad, the signage on the car and the part).
Jon Mello
CRG

anything